1917 packard truck

jason1968

I thought you were having a laugh there. I clicked on Packard and it took me to an HO model. The number gives me a nice looking Packard project though. I think that one has been on E bay before. It will give someone a lot of fun (and trouble). Shame the rad is missing.

Thanks for welcome and info chaps .any info or advice is appreciated. Have helped with resto work on vehicles of this era with a neighbours model t and a friends pre ww 1 thotnycroft which is now doing some shows. Will keep you all upto date on progress. Cheers again donal .

Short message ! Being collected tomorrow and heading to lincs on its first stage here. Some bits obtained and ready for start of a epic rebuild. I promise to keep you updated of progress. Will try to post pics up but am a bit electronically challenged.!!

Hi all update the Packard is loaded and on its way to lincs stage 1 !!. I was unaware that the truck pics on ebay were not recent . The truck was in an old shed full of stuff with even a grand piano ! It took the driver nearly 5 hours to extract and load it. I can recommend this guy Ian broadly from lincs he went the extra mile with this one anyone who wants his details can pm me. He even covered France. Otherwise I picked up s good steering wheel and a good splitdorf mag and a war office driving licence from June 1916 among some of the bits. More updates later

Edited by packard17
spelling

The license is a single page about 1/4 a4 size with war office in top. And permission to drive motor car & lorry. The name of person permitted, a rubber stamp with the date issued in this case 5 June 1916 and signed by issuing officer. Its expiry was only a month later in July which is interesting. I bought it in Toronto via ebay and should have it here in a week or so. And will try to post a picture.

Further reading on the Packard lorry - in Commercial Motor series 'Chariots of War I have driven' the Packard appears in the issue dated 28.12.1916. The Packard '4D' appears in detail in the Automobile Engineer series 'Military Transport Chassis -their performance under war conditions' in the issue for May 1919.

Richard Peskett.

I think by 1917 the ignition was simply magneto, and by then the chain drive had been replaced with a worm drive. Generally speaking Spitzdorf were the mag of choice in the earlier period, later being supeceded by American Bosch. The last packard I saw in the flesh was a 1916, it had a spitz mag and no trembler coil (it was a 5 tonner).

I have the Packard spec sheets for the immediate post war models if anyone is interested in any details.