Anyone knows this GMC 352 Wrecker

Yes, Neik seems to have nailed it! So not an obscure wartime conversion after all but a well executed sympathetic civvy one.

It tallies as it comes with Belgian documents.

It is still interesting & useful & I think I will still restore it as a military looking truck but will be truthful about its origins - the general public will not really care as it looks "busy" & period anyway.

It will also be useful around the yard but I will check out the mounting first!

Thanks, guys!

I know Edgard's yard of old - I bought an engine for my GMC back in '86 when it ran the big ends on a rally to Bruges.

There is a photo in Wheels & Tracks of a bunch of us doing the engine swap. Those were the days...

I bought an engine for my GMC back in '86 when it ran the big ends on a rally to Bruges.

There is a photo in Wheels & Tracks of a bunch of us doing the engine swap. Those were the days...

Now that brings back memories as I was also on that rally. I recall Nigel Hay working on that GMC and did you use Colin Brooks Austin K6 Coles crane to lift the engine?

Sorry thread-jacking :embarrassed:

cheers Richard

I know Edgard's yard of old - I bought an engine for my GMC back in '86 when it ran the big ends on a rally to Bruges.

We were there then too, believe the name of this rally was ''Operation Patterson'' in a domain called ''the valkaart'' at Oostkamp (near Bruges). It was an organisation of Patrick Thiersoone.

We were there with a desert coloured Jeep and WC 54, my uncle was there with a Bedford MWR (wireless) and 10 cwt trailer.

I remember the engine swap done in the field with an Austin Gantry or Coles crane (can't remember which one it was).

Those were the days indeed...

The GMC is a nice project which looks military. After all, the wrecking gear is also ex-military equipment.

We're currently busy restoring a 1940 Dodge VC3 (have a blog under vehicle restoration).

Edited by Dodge'40-'45

That's Peter Birch & myself finishing up the job. We had lots of help there & Colin enjoyed playing with the crane. Nigel was memorable for his pink marigold gloves. Much water under the bridge since then & a few more jimmies & DUKWs too.

This crane will help me restore my ex French army DUKW as well as giving me something to "play" with whilst the restoration is in progress. I might even join the MVCG Aquitaine group down here as they are quite active. The Dordogne group which I have been a member of for a while tend to favour reenactments over vehicle restoration. I am more the bbq & beer sort of person nowadays!

@Neik, can I use the picture of the Ford in other sites? I have joined a few in an attempt to get an answer so I should go back & let them know the end of the story!

Thanks guys - is there a reminiscing thread? I seem to recall that we used to get up to all kinds of adventures in the old days - Rex Cadman & I being held by the gendarmes on our way to Dunkirk in 2 jimmies rescued from a scrap yard. Time was against us & the headlights did not work - hardly a safety issue as the traffic was nose to tail all the way but against the law nevertheless! They made us effect a roadside repair before allowing us to continue, watching from a bar as we did so.

The picture is just one i found on Google so go ahead.

I've seen a old black and white picture if that truck, or one the same in a magazine in the past it was in relation to someone salvaging a tram I seem to remember, the picture in the article was of the tram being placed in someones garden to be used as a shed in the late 50's, I will have a search.