Good Evening from here in The Fens

grum64

Good Evening to you All

Also, I must take this opportunity to wish you all very Good Evening from my 'technophobe' Uncle on whose behalf I write.

He is in the process of restoring his 1941 BSA WD M20 and asked if I'd find out what it was 'up to' during the war.

The information I've been given is this:

Engine No: 35978

Frame No: WM20 35978

and these markings were found while disassembling it:

Square with Blue/Yellow diagonal divide with an 8 on one side and and a 4 on the other.

Some desert sand colour paint was found under layers of other paint.

My Uncle & Myself would be be really grateful for any help you can give.

Many thanks

grum64

Good Evening to you All

Also, I must take this opportunity to wish you all very Good Evening from my 'technophobe' Uncle on whose behalf I write.

He is in the process of restoring his 1941 BSA WD M20 and asked if I'd find out what it was 'up to' during the war.

The information I've been given is this:

Engine No: 35978

Frame No: WM20 35978

and these markings were found while disassembling it:

Square with Blue/Yellow diagonal divide with an 8 on one side and and a 4 on the other.

Some desert sand colour paint was found under layers of other paint.

My Uncle & Myself would be be really grateful for any help you can give.

Many thanks

grum64

Hi Grum64,

The blue and yellow sign dates from the postwar period and denotes the bike was attached to a Royal Army Service Corps unit, possibly in Middle East, Cyprus, Egypt area from the sand paint. In wartime and just after, the RASC colours were red and green diagonally.

regards, Richard

Hi Grum64,

The blue and yellow sign dates from the postwar period and denotes the bike was attached to a Royal Army Service Corps unit, possibly in Middle East, Cyprus, Egypt area from the sand paint. In wartime and just after, the RASC colours were red and green diagonally.

regards, Richard

Good Evening Richard

Thank you very much for taking the time to provide the information about my Uncles M20, I'll pass it on to him.

If you happen to come across any other information or if you can point me in the direction anywhere that might have information I, and my Uncle, will be very grateful.

Again, many thanks.

grum64

Welcome, we would like to see some pictures of the motorcycle as the restoration progresses

Good Evening

Many thanks for your welcome.

My Uncle has been taking photos during the restoration. I'll be seeing him soon, I'm sure he'll let me have some to upload.

Regards.

grum64

Welcome to the HMVF be good to see some pictures of the BSA :)

Hello & Good Evening

Thank you for your welcome which is most kind.

As my Uncle has been taking photos since day 1 of the restoration process he'll have plenty so when I see him I'll ask him for some to upload.

Thanks again for the welcome.

Regards

grum64

HI

The yellow and blue as said came in after1945 and was used by the ROYAL CORP OF TRANSPORT up to the forming of

THE ROYAL LOGISTIC CORP if your M20 stayed in the army after 1948 it would have a number that looked like this

01 YF 07 or similar i can find refererance to number 84in 1944 with the RASC and after 1945 with the RASC this was with

the brigade group transport company

REGARDS WALLY

HI

The yellow and blue as said came in after1945 and was used by the ROYAL CORP OF TRANSPORT up to the forming of

THE ROYAL LOGISTIC CORP if your M20 stayed in the army after 1948 it would have a number that looked like this

01 YF 07 or similar i can find refererance to number 84in 1944 with the RASC and after 1945 with the RASC this was with

the brigade group transport company

REGARDS WALLY

Good Evening Wally

Thanks again for your very informative reply.

Sadly, the M20 had been re-registered before my Uncle acquired it so unfortunately he's no idea what it's military 'registration' was.

I'd forgotten to mention one other piece of information that was found during the disassembly. A plate was found bearing the words 'Rebuilt & Serviced 1945'. I not sure if this is of huge importance but that's why I'm asking you & the other good people of this forum for help. I'm, well, clueless basically! Ask me about Technic Lego I'm possibly your man, ask me about anything beyond basic engineering ect...!

I know I must sound like the proverbial 'scratched record' but if you have any idea as to how the M20's military number might be discovered myself and my Uncle would be most grateful.

My gratitude and regards.

grum64

HI AND A VERY GOOD EVENING

First if the M20 served after 1948 it would have had a new number as I discribed this would have been stamped on to a

small brass plate by the army it could be found on the tool box or the chain guard I sure if others have found this plate in

a differant place they will let you know if this plate could be found you may have got some history from the key cards held

at the RLC MUSEUM DEEPCUT secondly I was reminded that when i worked at THE MUSEUM OF ARMY TRANSPORT in the

desert display we had a BSA M20 in sand colour with the yellow and blue arm of service and the number 84 this motor cycle

was on loan to the museum from a senior RAF officer who I believed got it while serving in CYPRUS he also owned a humber

box which I think may now be owned by a forum member lastly as I do know what period of post war service it was intended to portray i only gave one unit from the RASC /RCT as a example the RASC disbanded in 1965 and the RCT

was formed there are other unit in this period from the RASC/RCT that used the number 84 finding out its history is part of the fun

REGARDS WALLY

HI AND A VERY GOOD EVENING

First if the M20 served after 1948 it would have had a new number as I discribed this would have been stamped on to a

small brass plate by the army it could be found on the tool box or the chain guard I sure if others have found this plate in

a differant place they will let you know if this plate could be found you may have got some history from the key cards held

at the RLC MUSEUM DEEPCUT secondly I was reminded that when i worked at THE MUSEUM OF ARMY TRANSPORT in the

desert display we had a BSA M20 in sand colour with the yellow and blue arm of service and the number 84 this motor cycle

was on loan to the museum from a senior RAF officer who I believed got it while serving in CYPRUS he also owned a humber

box which I think may now be owned by a forum member lastly as I do know what period of post war service it was intended to portray i only gave one unit from the RASC /RCT as a example the RASC disbanded in 1965 and the RCT

was formed there are other unit in this period from the RASC/RCT that used the number 84 finding out its history is part of the fun

REGARDS WALLY

Good Evening Wally

Thank you once again for your reply.

As before it made very interesting reading. I'll pass the information you've been kind enough to furnish me with to my Uncle, I know he'll be very interested to read through it and very grateful to you for taking the time to impart it.

Thank you very much again for your help.

Kind Regards

grum64 & Uncle