Chinese german helmets

KRADRIDER

There seems to be a MASSIVE explosion of cheap and in some cases crap copies of German m36/40/42 helmets at the moment, some with liners that resemble leather you would not chamois your car with. My question is which is the best re pro helmet out there and are any worth buying?

The Chinese nationalists used German pattern helmets. Is there any danger that this is just some enterprising soul bunging a load out to us silly round eyed devils? Far fetched of course - but maybe a local party official was sitting on a warehouse full of enemy kit waiting for a rainy day. Maybe he was one of the Chinese at Beltring last year who thought they were at a modern arms fair and decided to make hay. I suppose they can't be any funnier than the plastic BB gun MP40 I bought the year before last which one re-enactor group showed me made good background props with a bit of paint and some filler.

I got one o' them plastic MP40s

The'yre great for £7 ... bit of filler & some paint & you can end up with something that

passes the 2 yard test regularly :-D

Seen a couple of the chinese Stalhelms...

They looked okay to me, but I'm no expert on Axis kit

Simon,

If no-one on here can help, have you tried any of the re-enactor forums?

You didnt say what era, but presume WW2 so try wwiireenacting.co.uk for a start... you could also try Andy Colborn through the SBG website http://www.sbg1.mistral.co.uk/ whos always a helpful bloke...

Hope I wont get told off for directing someone to another forum... :-D

Phil

Cheers Ive been told that some copies are cast from originals and some ........well hand beaten by enthusiastic children I think. some of the better ones Ive seen have been reworked by ageing the leather and repainting steel using European Camo,or winter wash etc.......

Hi,

the cheapest way may to buy a cheap(?) civil helmet, though the liner will be different. There is a company German Helmets.com (in the U.S.) who will supply whatever you ask for, but as previously mentioned try the local reinacting groups theyare your best bet.

A friend of mine brought a nice single decal camo, chicken wire SS M43 for about £150:00 last year which was very life like.

Ashley

yea I got a Police one, but if you compare it to an original the rims are shorter on the post war police and liners have a sweat band at the front of the liners, slider buckle on chinstrap too.

Hi Simon,

will a repro chinstrap not retro fit ??

Ashley

Hi Ash, Yer pretty good site whermact awards , still by the time you've paid postage from USA and there is no pics and I aint a member of the forum etc.........? strangely since Ive started this helmet discussion someone has contacted me and offered me some original shells for 50 pounds a piece (solid not dug-up ones) so ill have a look.

Hi Ash, Yer pretty good site whermact awards , still by the time you've paid postage from USA and there is no pics and I aint a member of the forum etc.........?

PLONKER what am i ? sorry about that, but there again for the £15:00 a great reference site for any type of militaria.

aSHLEY