how many Austin K6's are there

mighty antar

Ted-

I hadn't really thought about the fact that BS381C changed post war! I also have to admit I cannot now find the source that led me to match it to 591 Deep Orange, although 1965 edition of AP1086 does include that colour for use on "static radio vehicles and equipment on airfields"- confusingly this was after vehicles should have been using golden yellow instead! NOTE: I have now found the amendment that introduced Golden Yellow was issued September 54. In fact even the 1951 edition of 1086 doesn't include 33A/125 although it's still supposedly in use.

Unfortunately Hendon, as you say, doesn't have a wartime copy of the section containing paints. They do however have a 1924 copy where ref. 33A/125 is Paint, Dry, Yellow, Chrome, Orange tint.

The other colours listed under "Yellow, Chrome" are Lemon tint and Middling tint.

So the options that present themselves are:

1) The orange used was one of the colours on the pre-war BS381C later changed for one of the new colours. Unlikely as the paint in question had been around before the standard was created.

2) The orange was a completely new colour that was later incorporated into the post-war standards - this had happened with aircraft colours (Sky anyone?).

3) The colour remained an unquantified orange, completely separate from the British Standard scheme until the post-war colour charts came out when it became easier for the Air Ministry to order from a catalogue.

My belief is that option 3 is most likely, many of the dry paints listed in the 1924 edition are still listed in the 1951 edition. If the AM had decided to create a Prepared For Use paint of the same colour it would have been given a completely different stores ref.

Hi Bryan your option 3 would account for the the erronious mention of yellow in A 897 and on plate 1 of A 486; the full title of 33a 125 gives the word yellow before the word orange- you would think those guys beck in time would have made life a bit easier for us delvers into history LOL !

Regards

TED

Hi Graham,

Yep, still in the sand colour and looking looking good.I shall of course take a few spanners with me to France,Just in case !!!! Replaced the timber on rear body behind the cab as that was quite bad,then went on to do some repair work to the cab and now cab is painted and ready to go. Replaced oil seals so it shouldn't cover anybody following me in gear oil ! Just sourcing some windshield rubber and check straps for the doors now. It never missed a beat on the journey back home and she gets a move on! Normandy should be good ,you going ?

Brendan :nut:

I did think about it but I don't think there are any spaces left, I have got the brakes sorted on the OY, the vacpac was seized up, RF sorted for me, he did your K6 as well. good luck

• 7 months later...
Hi Graham,

Yep, still in the sand colour and looking looking good.I shall of course take a few spanners with me to France,Just in case !!!! Replaced the timber on rear body behind the cab as that was quite bad,then went on to do some repair work to the cab and now cab is painted and ready to go. Replaced oil seals so it shouldn't cover anybody following me in gear oil ! Just sourcing some windshield rubber and check straps for the doors now. It never missed a beat on the journey back home and she gets a move on! Normandy should be good ,you going ?

Brendan :nut:

hi there, it would be nice to know where you got k6 screen rubber and if it was the correct stuff, rgds nick. k6 builder

• 8 years later...