My new toy...

Enigma

Hi Guys

We did experience a problem.

After about 20 Miles it began to run very roughh, stuttering and such.

It stalled 50 yards from home.

It has a rebuilt engine but I drove it 35 Mph max and didn't rev it much before changing gears.

When I tried to start it after sitting about 1/2 hour it fired and ran fine?????

Also another Q, it hasn't got a voltmeter and extra panel-light for it????

Its built dec 1942.

Oh yes very nice, sounds like it might be a fuel problem .

We think the same, not sure how to solve it though.

The fuelline IS to close near the manifold, could vapourlock occur WHILE driving at about 30-35Mph.

Nice looking WC-56!

The lack of a voltmeter could be due to two things,

1.It was one of the few Command Cars which did not have one fitted from new,I have the remains of a March 1944 WC-56 which had never had a voltmeter from new,and the cowl and dash were un-altered.

2. The Dodge could have been rebuilt using the cowl and dash from a weapons carrier. To check if this is the case lift the hood and look for the body tag on the drivers side top of the cowl,and look for a number stamper into the cowl on the drivers side below the voltage regulator,only Command Cars had a number stamped here.

You can get a copy of the original build card from Daimler-Chrysler archives for $25 which will confirm the chassis number,body number,engine number and build date. Most WC's will have had a different engine fitted at some point so it's unusual to find one where the engine number matches the build card.

Hope this helps!

Matt.

Nice looking WC-56!

The lack of a voltmeter could be due to two things,

1.It was one of the few Command Cars which did not have one fitted from new,I have the remains of a March 1944 WC-56 which had never had a voltmeter from new,and the cowl and dash were un-altered.

2. The Dodge could have been rebuilt using the cowl and dash from a weapons carrier. To check if this is the case lift the hood and look for the body tag on the drivers side top of the cowl,and look for a number stamper into the cowl on the drivers side below the voltage regulator,only Command Cars had a number stamped here.

You can get a copy of the original build card from Daimler-Chrysler archives for $25 which will confirm the chassis number,body number,engine number and build date. Most WC's will have had a different engine fitted at some point so it's unusual to find one where the engine number matches the build card.

Hope this helps!

Matt.

Hi Matt

The body tag is gone.

I do have a copy of the built card, as body model it says "19" which according to a list of body tag nr.s means recconnaissance so a Command Car.

I'll check for a stamped cowl Nr tomorrow.

I had forgotton how noisy 3/4 tonners are! The 1/2 ton sits higher and the transmission is quiter.

Guess some soundproofing is the way to go.

Awesome Enigma! Did you manage to sell your WC-21?

3/4 really are noisy but they are so much fun to drive!!

I did a trade in.

So I guess I owe you a drive. You can sit in the back as general Eisenhower ;-)

That I can imagine, did you find the fuel problem?

I think there are 2 options.

1 is we found a lot of stuff in the fuel filter.

2 the fuel line ran very close to the exhaustmanifold.

Option 2 is the most likely I think.