L4a3

tinweasle

I got this through today.

8f73f139-0c3a-423b-85c0-35f884642b13_zps4081f1ac.jpg

Can anyone explain the modifications that went into converting the .303 to 7.62 also what is the difference between the different L4's?

i would also love any L4 related story's

many thanks

shaun

The L4A3 was the first conversion of the Mk2 to 7.62mm, the barrels were replaced by 2 7.62mm barrels (Although it does appear that some L4a3s were converted to A5 spec with 1 chrome lined barrel with out being marked as such). The mag well was was moved forward and deepened to accomodate the inch pattern 30 round mag. This meant the machining broke into the pocket for the barrel lock and dust cover detent spring. To overcome this a spring pin was fitted to become the new base of the hole for the spring. Because the mag was to sit lower in the body, the 303 feed ramps on the sides of the well had been machined away and so 2 inserts were riveted to each side and machined as the new lips. The .303 breech block was replaced with a new 7.62mm block to the same design as the 8mm Inglis block. The mag catch was replaced with a new mag catch/ejector block. The bipod had the sling loop removed and a dust excluder brazed in place. The Mk2 cocking handle was replaced with a Mk1/3 folding handle design.

Some conversions to L4A3 retained the mk2 handle, standard Mk1 or 3 bipod without dust excluder and Mk 2 butt and lower slide. Would I be correct in thinking yours has a serial number of between UE62A1 to UE 66A7082?

Thanks Chris the serial number on mine is UE 65A4492, can I ask how you knew?

I will admit to knowing very little about the Bren in any form so can't comment to much on this one, I do however think it still has the Mk 2 butt fitted. But I will post up some close up's later when I get a chance. I think (but could be wrong) that this is ex Irish military.

yes this was from a dealer but they have now sold out, a friend of mine got an A4 from them too

Hi Tinweasel, I can guess the serial range as I have a database of numbers I've collected over the years. The L4A3 was only made between late 1962 and possibly 1966/7, info is a bit short for these years so I have to best guess. Can you tell me the original serial number (The one barred out at the back)?

These L4A3s from WWA arnt from Ireland, they have come from a continental dealer I believe and before that I'd assume they came from Africa but that is just a guess.

I was wondering about L4A3 Brens from WWA - they seemed very cheap for a 'real' British Army 7.62 Bren but I know they've now sold out! The 'Irish' Brens are also interesting - a lighter, shorter, Bren Gun seems to be a good idea - did the British Army ever use them?

I'd be very interested to hear what Chris, as our resident Bren Gun Expert, has to say about these weapons!

The 'Irish' Brens are also interesting - a lighter, shorter, Bren Gun seems to be a good idea - did the British Army ever use them?

I'd be very interested to hear what Chris, as our resident Bren Gun Expert, has to say about these weapons!

The MK3 Brens were used by British Army Units. Developed in the main for use in the Jungle. But also used by all units who had them issued. It is a 'Popular' selling term used my Deact Dealers that the shorter MK3 was the 'Para' version! This is not quite the case. Whilst undoubtably the Airborne did use them. They were not specific Airborne issue. It continued to be issued alongside the MKI's & MKII's in the British Armed Forces, well into the Postwar Years of Worldwide Service. They are generaly unusual in numbers. Because a LOT were converted Postwar into 7.62mm Variants. Interesting that this batch were manufactured in 1955. On Specific Contract to the Irish Army, Apparantly.

Would you mind giving me the serial number of yours too? Both the UE and barred out number would be ideal. Did you notice the carry handle is an original BSA item?

Ref. the Mk3s, I can't really add much, at least 67,000 Mk3 were produced by Enfield, the last being made in 1961, 2 years after the introduction of the L4A1. When assembley of the last Mk3 had finished there were 500 new bodies left over, these were converted to L4A2 and so have no original serial number to bar out, they will only be found with UE61A serial numbers. As about 21,000 Mk3s were converted to L4A1 to A4 spec, there was approx 46,000 Mk3s remaining in .303.

• 4 weeks later...