Ferret-vs-BRDM

WCMatt

The only real solution may be to acquire one of each of them (that is my plan lol).:cheesy:

I like the way you think :cool2:.....

BRDMDriver cheated by up loading cool youtube vid of his machine(?). Thanks, for doing that :). The version I was looking at has the conventional turret which would have carried the 14.5mm heavy MG.

While watching that video, I noticed that the side view mirrors were situated in such a way I don't think the driver would be able to use them looking through the windshield. Can that vehicle be driven "head out" like a LAV25 for example?

As for the BRDM's lack of off road capability, this isn't that big of a deal for me as I really have no plans to go four wheeling in such a vehicle. I wouldn't want to even imagine what the recovery bill would be for a four ton vehicle(ferret) let alone one that weighs in at eight tons (BRDM). I remember watching a German BRDM owner trying to take his BRDM on some pretty muddy tracks. He eventually laid it on it's side...

Here's a mechanical question for the BRDM owners, do they have conventional truck type axles underneith them or is it something completely different? For example, the V150 uses axles off of the 5 ton cargo trucks of the period while the British ferrets & larger (think; Saladin) use right angle bevel boxes.

Matt

Well it's a cool vehicle which is one of the reasons I bought it!!!

The axles are just big straight axles on leaf springs. No independent suspension or anything. All pretty low tech.

It has the clever belly wheels of course!

I've seen videos of them going over sideways, the CofG is quite high.

If you want to see more pics of the transmission etc, let me know.

You sit on the left in a BRDM and I added the mirror out on the front headlamp bracket, it's not standard. There is no way you can drive head out, as you sit quite low. You have to have a co-pilot. View from a CVRT or Abbot is a piece of cake in comparison.

The drivers side mirror is viewed through the periscope, but the mirror and is close as is the periscope so it's not too bad.

You need a rear view camera too!

Driving position is ok if you increase the length of the steering column so the wheel is higher otherwise, if you are a lanky git like me, your knee gets stuck under the wheel and you can't get your foot on brake pedal!

Yes it's pretty smooth on the underside which helps but the lack of full locking diffs doesn't. It's no Haflinger.

You can also do neat tricks like let all the tires down from inside the vehicle for extra traction and re-inflate then once you get out!

You definitely have to watch the angle of dangle though.

Texas Pete broke his drive shaft doing some off roading, it's easy to forget just how much weight is coming down on those axles if you get a bit carried away!

Yes it's pretty smooth on the underside which helps but the lack of full locking diffs doesn't. It's no Haflinger.

You can also do neat tricks like let all the tires down from inside the vehicle for extra traction and re-inflate then once you get out!

You definitely have to watch the angle of dangle though.

Texas Pete broke his drive shaft doing some off roading, it's easy to forget just how much weight is coming down on those axles if you get a bit carried away!

I dealt with this same issue before I bought my Brdm.

to me the Brdm was the better vehicle. Larger, faster, more impressive. Seat more people inside, floats, more common parts. Normal truck axles, normal transmission, chevy 350 style engine, and a lot of choices for engine transplants.

Everything's pretty easy accessible from the top or inside.

Bad side? Twice the weight of the ferret. Harder to drive solo.

ferrett is the kind of vehicle you can pootle about in, BRDM needs determination and planning, I have a FUG and its a great fun vehicle to drive if you dont mind hitting things...the ferrett I drive on the road for pure pleasure..I have not driven the BRDM for more than a few yards but when it arrives I will get more experience with it...the fug is a pig to get into but easy enough to drive and murder to manouver. FERRET PRESELECT BOX REAL FUN..

DAMN IT MAN GET ONE OF EACH...

In terms of 'driving pleasure' I put my Scorpion out in front by a long mile, with BRDM-2 last.

BRDM-2 wins on novelty value as not many people have seen one and it was fun arriving in one at last years MVT thing at Bovy, it looked pretty big in amongst all the Landies and Jeeps!

However, when it comes to going swimming....:cool2:

I personally prefer the ferret to almost every other vehicle on the road, scorpions and CVRt' s in general are a real easy drive and mega fun on the road but I am always worried about the tracks coming off, hitting a kerb and doing damage, getting pulled for speeding in my track laying vehicle which is supposed to be doing no more than 20 mph...its hard to maintain that speed in an fv432 let alone a Scorpion...

no limits in the ferret. but as I said go for both.