70 years today of the dambusters raid

private mw

I shall remain no matter how long I may live...still completely and absolutely in awe of the 'boys' of Bomber Command and I do NOT use that word lightly....they were 'boys'.......

...they were generally between 18 and 25 years old....and roughly 55,000 of them died.........and I absolutely deplore and detest the 'revisionist' thinking of many people today, that judge their efforts from the effortless comfort of an arm chair to have been.... 'pointless' or even worse ... 'murderous'..

... We were in a 'total' war and that means ...'win at all costs'..and we simply had to ...our world today would have been immeasurably different if all the young men and women of our Armed Services had NOT given everything they had.........to all those that say so effortlessly nowadays

"oh the heavy bomber campaign achieved nothing ' ?....I say this........

How many hundreds of thousands of German troops and anti Aircraft Guns and Pilots and Aircraft , and how many millions of gallons of fuel and millions of rounds of ammunition and other resources were tied down in trying to defend the German cities and industrial zones?.....the answer is of course....uncountable.......

....and if instead...they had been available to the field commanders at the 'fronts' ?...

.....what might the effect have been ???.......it is of course.. impossible to say or calculate..........

Edited by RattlesnakeBob

I shall remain no matter how long I may live...still completely and absolutely in awe of the 'boys' of Bomber Command and I do NOT use that word lightly....they were 'boys'.......

...they were generally between 18 and 25 years old....and roughly 55,000 of them died.........and I absolutely deplore and detest the 'revisionist' thinking of many people today, that judge their efforts from the effortless comfort of an arm chair to have been.... 'pointless' or even worse ... 'murderous'..

... We were in a 'total' war and that means ...'win at all costs'..and we simply had to ...our world today would have been immeasurably different if all the young men and women of our Armed Services had NOT given everything they had.........to all those that say so effortlessly nowadays

"oh the heavy bomber campaign achieved nothing ' ?....I say this........

How many hundreds of thousands of German troops and anti Aircraft Guns and Pilots and Aircraft , and how many millions of gallons of fuel and millions of rounds of ammunition and other resources were tied down in trying to defend the German cities and industrial zones?.....the answer is of course....uncountable.......

....and if instead...they had been available to the field commanders at the 'fronts' ?...

.....what might the effect have been ???.......it is of course.. impossible to say or calculate..........

I fully agree with that.

in our clubhouse bar they have landed the lanc on jacks new bowling green ! :shocked:

Yeah have already had words with them about that. That's twice this year!

But what a serious piece of flying. I know they say the best piece of flying was when Staff Sergeant Wallwork landed his glider at Pegasus but the Dam Busters must be close?!

Yeah have already had words with them about that. That's twice this year!

But what a serious piece of flying. I know they say the best piece of flying was when Staff Sergeant Wallwork landed his glider at Pegasus but the Dam Busters must be close?!

Undoubtably some fine flying of the first order. Skillfully echoed in the film - take a look at the film where a Lanc, in one of the practise sessions, comes up in front of the cameara from close to the lake. (It happens to be Windermere) If you have the dvd freeze frame it, you can see the reflection in the first shot, work it out for yourself from the wingspan just how close it is to the surface at the start of the sequence. Now that was confident flying. I reckon less than 20 feet and the props swing at 7.5! Ok not under fire etc, but !!!!

Been listening to it all on the radio today. Ultimate respect to those guys. Much talk all day about the memorial flight lancaster being the only flying one. But there is that other "private" one that is nearly ready to go, anyone know how they are getting on, last I heard they had engine issues?

....Much talk all day about the memorial flight lancaster being the only flying one. But there is that other "private" one that is nearly ready to go,.....

There are two Lancasters flying, the BBMF Lanc, and the Canadian Warplane Heritage Lanc. The third and potential airworthy Lancaster is "Just Jane" at East Kirkby. Maurice Hammond's company, Eyetech Engineering, has rebuilt four Merlins for "Just Jane". At present, I don't know of any timescale for putting "Just Jane" back in the air.

There are two Lancasters flying, the BBMF Lanc, and the Canadian Warplane Heritage Lanc. The third and potential airworthy Lancaster is "Just Jane" at East Kirkby. Maurice Hammond's company, Eyetech Engineering, has rebuilt four Merlins for "Just Jane". At present, I don't know of any timescale for putting "Just Jane" back in the air.

Apparently it is to be within the next two years (start of rebuild).