the process was not too bad in the end, two of the vehicles i have just done were imported from france a couple of years ago but it did not cause any problems, they seem to be processing the NOVA's in about 10 days at the moment.

What method did you use to contact HMRC?, as their online service looks difficult and where would you obtain a paper form?

I have used both methods, the online service is quicker as long as you have access to it . To get paper copy just call the National VAT helpline and request a NOVA 1 form. i used the paper version for my Bedford and included a covering letter explaining the circumstances.

I have used both methods, the online service is quicker as long as you have access to it . To get paper copy just call the National VAT helpline and request a NOVA 1 form. i used the paper version for my Bedford and included a covering letter explaining the circumstances.

Managed to log on to their online service, started filling in the form, just a little concerned that I could be charged VAT?

Just noticed from the bottom from your post you have a new arrival - congratulations!! :banana:

Dare I suggest it depends on the circumstances of how your vehicle got into the UK, whether you have any documentation, and the individual who processes your application?

Just noticed from the bottom from your post you have a new arrival - congratulations!! :banana:

Dare I suggest it depends on the circumstances of how your vehicle got into the UK, whether you have any documentation, and the individual who processes your application?

Thanks Tony, just hope I dont live to regret it with these new HMRC rules.

Managed to log on to their online service, started filling in the form, just a little concerned that I could be charged VAT?

from what i could make out when on one of the many calls with VAT, vehicles over a certain age (possibly pre 73) are exempt from VAT if coming from within the EU, if its come from outside the EU you don't need to do a NOVA, providing you have the import paperwork.

but of course you didn't pay very much for the vehicle anyway, did you;).

A chap I know has just had a very embarrasing incedent wit`h all this new papaerwork. He went back to Poland, bought a used car to bring back with him. Got it into UK went to get it re-registerd.... only to find Mr Plod knocking on the door to inform him the car had been nicked from UK six months before. :blush:

from what i could make out when on one of the many calls with VAT, vehicles over a certain age (possibly pre 73) are exempt from VAT if coming from within the EU, if its come from outside the EU you don't need to do a NOVA, providing you have the import paperwork.

but of course you didn't pay very much for the vehicle anyway, did you;).

Well it looks good news on the Nova front, completed online form last night, after submission, had more or less a confirmation straight back stating no VAT to pay and no late notification fine, and can now go ahead and register truck, although not sure if they send a paper confirmation or DVLC check online.

Thanks for advice on this.