Anybody had dealings with the new dvla/hmrc "nova" check? Came in to force last month apparently.

I have been to dvla to register my Bedford, all went well but I received the paperwork back yesterday with a letter stating I need to do a "nova" (notification of vehicle arrival). Seems a bit odd as it was built in the uk and has never left!

So I go on line to complete the process but can't as the program does not cater for vehicles that are from the uk! It's specifically for imports!! You also need to be registered on the hmrc gateway system to use the program.

I feel a long phone call on hold will be today's task, probably eventually getting through to a Computer!

Edited by RMS

ye of little faith!!! wont be a computer, it will be an indian bloke on opposite side of world reading from a Q card and repeating the same question over and over again til you answer whats on his card to proceed to next useless question!! but you are right about the looonnnggg phone call tho!!! good luck and keep us updated. had a lot of dealings with dvla and they are useless unless ive just been unlucky, more like it!!

I left the dvla office with the impression it was all done and dusted! The guy behind the counter even told me that it would not need the nova check! WRONG!!!!!!

I will keep you up to date with the battle

I've had many dealings with the DVLA over the years and usually my local office ( Lincoln ) is pretty helpful however whenever I have had to deal direct with Swansea it has been an absolute nightmare :mad: Usually you end up going through the endless " if you want ......, press button 1 , if you .......... " etc. etc. When you eventually get to talk to a "real" person they seem to be reading from a set list and anything out of the ordinary throws them ! This whole situation will get a lot worse once the regional offices are closed as everything will need to go through Swansea, I dread to think what will happen then. My advice is to stick with the regional office if possible as you are dealing face to face with someone and IF you have to deal with Swansea insist on getting the name of the person you are speaking to and insist on dealing with them with any future problems. My '45 Ford GPW jeep is listed as an historic vehicle and has a dating certificate from the now closed Museum of Army Transport at Beverley, it is tax exempt and has a clear and original chassis number, it has also been inspected and appraised by a recognised MVT member, but because when it was imported in 1989 from France the importer stated it was NEW at first registration instead of " previously used overseas " I now have to get a yearly MOT ! While I am in favour of a yearly safety check I know that should I sell the new owner may not be so. I have tried to get it sorted but as usual the process is complicated and designed to put you off bothering. At the moment I have decided to leave things and MOT the jeep but it is madness that Swansea accepted the dating certificate for historic tax status but will not do the same for its date of manufacture. Obviously Ford GPW's were not made after WW2 so it was certainly NOT made in 1989 ! :( Good luck !

Update

Phone nova helpline- eventually get through! "Ah yes we're having a lot of trouble with dvla about this procedure, you need to speak to the vat national helpline"

Phone national helpline - press 1 for bla bla .......................... And so on!

Eventually get through to a very helpful guy. Who basically said that any vehicle made in the uk or imported before 1973 does not need a nova. Apparently they have told dvla this a lot since starting the process but it has not got through yet! He gave me a reference number for our little chat and advised to go back in to dvla and tell them what he told me and that I'd they need confirmation to call them up and quote the reference number.

So back to dvla for attempt no.2!

I am going through this with my REO. I was told when I went down to the DVLA in Wimbledon I would need NOVA. Tried to fill in online but no UK purchase address option. I rang the helpline and they said in this case its not required.

What they wouldn't do was send a letter to this effect so will probably end up going to the DVLA again and being sent away...

Guess what????

Had a letter from dvla today............................ Telling that this vehicle needs a nova!!!!!!!!!!!!!!!!!!!!!!!!! FFS !!!!!!!!!!!!!

Wonder how many times this will be done? Back to to dvla again!!!!!!

You guys are depressing me :wow:

I got the V5 for the Acmat and the chassis number is the same as the engine number. I would have thought DVLA would have picked this up and was hoping they would have previous correct records. But looking at you posts I doubt they will have anything.

Aussie registration is very strict and I would think accurate but my V5 has something along the lines "its green" and very little of any other information. I may be better off getting an MVT check and use that as importation documentation.

So an update on my process.

Route 1: I have been emailing a person at the HMRC and they have been helpful, they said any vehicle that has a break in its registration has to have a NOVA. So I tried to fill in the form online and it only has a country of purchase outside the UK so she told me to say Germany even though its wrong...it then went through. Got a message to ring and they said there was a back log and will get a result in a few days. Will keep you updated.

Route 2: When filling in the form above I rang to see what country I put, the person on the phone consulted a technical expert and they said a NOVA wasn't required in this instance but wouldn't send a letter to this effect.

Seems a mess to me so will keep you informed on progress, i dont want to queu up again and then be told I need NOVA, would rather have a letter so I have paid or dont need.

/p

Just tried to online Sorn the Acmat as this thread reminded me that I sent the updated V5 ownership to DVLA a few weeks back, but alas cannot as "V5 is being changed"

Definately not user freindly. Seems you have to call for everything, so the online bit is a bit misleading. As my mechanic is an MOT guy I think his paperwork will suffice for the proof of chassis number.

Update, went back to dvla and saw a different person again who now tells me that I need mod release papers!!!!!!! Or a nova 1 form is to be completed (going round in circles here).

Speak to vat helpline about a nova 1, it's just a paper version of the on line form. Was told by them that its not required Again but they can send me a form anyway and I can fill it in a send it off but as its all about the importation of a vehicle they're not sure what I can put on the form!

Help!!!

Latest news, went to dvla for the fourth attempt this time they spent plenty of gmail looking through the guidance notes sent by vat. The outcome was that they don't know! The problem seems to be that vehicle over 30 years old from outside of eu have a nova exemption code as do military vehicles with release papers, vehicles over 30 years old and from the uk and that have not been recently re imported do not have a nova exemption code! As its a computerised system without either an exemption code or nova number they can't process the registration!! So it has been sent to Swansea so they can figure out how to do it with hmrc.

Basically the new system does not cater for old vehicles that have been sat on a farm for years but hopefully will do soon.

I shall update when hear from Swansea

Latest news, went to dvla for the fourth attempt this time they spent plenty of gmail looking through the guidance notes sent by vat. The outcome was that they don't know! The problem seems to be that vehicle over 30 years old from outside of eu have a nova exemption code as do military vehicles with release papers, vehicles over 30 years old and from the uk and that have not been recently re imported do not have a nova exemption code! As its a computerised system without either an exemption code or nova number they can't process the registration!! So it has been sent to Swansea so they can figure out how to do it with hmrc.

Basically the new system does not cater for old vehicles that have been sat on a farm for years but hopefully will do soon.

I shall update when hear from Swansea

:banghead: :computerrage:

Good luck don't forget to raise the issue with the MVT / IMPS

• 1 month later...

Latest update :nut:

Basically i have to complete a NOVA1 form, DVLA swansea have said that they cannot register the vehicle without a complete NOVA. I have spoken to the Personal transport dept in Dover and managed to get some guidance on when and who should complete a NOVA.

You need to complete a NOVA if,

1, you have imported a vehicle from within the EU

2, the vehicle has been imported in the past from outside the EU but you dont have the relevant paperwork for import duties etc

3, an EX MOD vehicle that does not have a release paper

4, ANY VEHICLE that has a break in the registration with DVLA (i.e sat on a farm for the last 30 years and DVLA have no record of the vehicle and you dont have the old V5 etc)

you DONT need a NOVA if

1, imported from outside the EU and have relevant imports docs

2, Ex MOD vehicle with release papers

3, If you have proof of previous registration with DVLA

On a brighter note i completed a NOVA online for a Jeep that i bought in from france and it was processed and approved within 7 days with nothing to pay :-) the Bedford was done on a paper form and should be processed within 14 days so they tell me. If like me you have a vehicle that has not been imported the only way to complete a NOVA application is by using the paper version available by request from VAT helpline.

I will keep you up tot date.

Latest update :nut:

Basically i have to complete a NOVA1 form, DVLA swansea have said that they cannot register the vehicle without a complete NOVA. I have spoken to the Personal transport dept in Dover and managed to get some guidance on when and who should complete a NOVA.

You need to complete a NOVA if,

1, you have imported a vehicle from within the EU

2, the vehicle has been imported in the past from outside the EU but you dont have the relevant paperwork for import duties etc

3, an EX MOD vehicle that does not have a release paper

4, ANY VEHICLE that has a break in the registration with DVLA (i.e sat on a farm for the last 30 years and DVLA have no record of the vehicle and you dont have the old V5 etc)

you DONT need a NOVA if

1, imported from outside the EU and have relevant imports docs

2, Ex MOD vehicle with release papers

3, If you have proof of previous registration with DVLA

On a brighter note i completed a NOVA online for a Jeep that i bought in from france and it was processed and approved within 7 days with nothing to pay :-) the Bedford was done on a paper form and should be processed within 14 days so they tell me. If like me you have a vehicle that has not been imported the only way to complete a NOVA application is by using the paper version available by request from VAT helpline.

I will keep you up tot date.

The only problem I saw with the online NOVA form was that it didn't have the ability to put a purchase address of the UK, only Europe. Mine was a vehicle that had been in the UK for a long time but never registered. When I emailed them about this they said "just put Germany it will be fine" so I did got the form back and the truck is registered. Very silly form if it doesn't cater for one of the instances its required in, e.g. a large gap in being registered in the UK.

Quite agree paul, it has not been thought through well before implementing, as usual!!!

They suggested I put another country down for the Bedford too at one point but I felt a bit uneasy putting false details on a HMRC declaration, it could end up causing more problems.

• 2 weeks later...
  • 4 weeks later...

Have also received paperwork from local DVLA office, and like you discovered the new rules, HMRC should be notified within 14 days, I have exceeded that!, I fear after reading this forum it will be a nightmare.............................

Anybody had dealings with the new dvla/hmrc "nova" check? Came in to force last month apparently.

I have been to dvla to register my Bedford, all went well but I received the paperwork back yesterday with a letter stating I need to do a "nova" (notification of vehicle arrival). Seems a bit odd as it was built in the uk and has never left!

So I go on line to complete the process but can't as the program does not cater for vehicles that are from the uk! It's specifically for imports!! You also need to be registered on the hmrc gateway system to use the program.

I feel a long phone call on hold will be today's task, probably eventually getting through to a Computer!

the process was not too bad in the end, two of the vehicles i have just done were imported from france a couple of years ago but it did not cause any problems, they seem to be processing the NOVA's in about 10 days at the moment.