Ferret Bevel Box Filler plug thread - replacing with sight glass

Diana and Jackie

Hi,

Does anyone know the thread form and size for the filler plug fitted on the extension tube to the bevel boxes oil filler plugs of a Ferret.

I'm planning to fit sight glasses and the spares book is very confusing on this issue of threads and the filler plug - better to ask the question before I remove the plug to check out its details

Diana

as inner oil level is to bottom of hole ie take extension out and top up with ep90 till oil runs out then replace extension tube hows sight glass gonna work? their for levels like halfway up sight glass etc?( just woken up from night shift excuse me if i am missing the obvious )

Others have fitted sight glasses so I intend to follow suit.

Diana

as inner oil level is to bottom of hole ie take extension out and top up with ep90 till oil runs out then replace extension tube hows sight glass gonna work? their for levels like halfway up sight glass etc?( just woken up from night shift excuse me if i am missing the obvious )

seems like far to much effort for no real gain just unscrew extension tube little car mechs can of ep90 top up till over flow then screw back in takes about 3 mins!

3 mins eh? Well if you had to top up and had done it in that time, it would not have had enough time to level off into the bevel box. When I was doing these I would top them all up then go back and check again, you will find the levels will have dropped in that time. ;)

think as usual you are missing the point richard ,its more the fact of going to all that aggro for a home brewed mod that looks like it doesn't even serve any useful purpose ! and yes i do let oil levels settle.:cool2:

think as usual you are missing the point richard ,its more the fact of going to all that aggro for a home brewed mod that looks like it doesn't even serve any useful purpose ! and yes i do let oil levels settle.:cool2:

I do get the point as it happens, having been working on Ferrets for around 36 years, I do know my way around them. Often people stick an oil gun in the level plug and get a blob of oil shoot out and think they are full, where it is far from full. There is a guy who has done this mod before, a bit of thought and it could work. A lot of improvements can be made to these vehicles to make servicing less of a chore.

So when you check the levels it takes more than 3 mins then as you do it twice :D

Quite clearly Richard given your vast experience and you have worked on this equipment for a living, you do know what you are talking about.

Obviously my thoughts and yours run in a similar vein therefore it must be a mod worth doing.

Diana

I do get the point as it happens, having been working on Ferrets for around 36 years, I do know my way around them. Often people stick an oil gun in the level plug and get a blob of oil shoot out and think they are full, where it is far from full. There is a guy who has done this mod before, a bit of thought and it could work. A lot of improvements can be made to these vehicles to make servicing less of a chore.

So when you check the levels it takes more than 3 mins then as you do it twice :D

Quite clearly Richard given your vast experience and you have worked on this equipment for a living, you do know what you are talking about.

Obviously my thoughts and yours run in a similar vein therefore it must be a mod worth doing.

Diana

Its your vehicle if you want to do the mods so be it I hope they make life easier which is obviously the intention.

,I was commenting that doing oil levels is not that time consuming and doing this sight glass mod was possibly in my humble opinion a waste of time for Diana , and yes maybe if levels were low it might take longer than 3 minutes maybe 5 minutes eh Richard or even 30 mins if u take them all out top up then let levels settle but that wasn't really the point I was making hey ho!

Edited by griff66