Several questions in a single post... I am new...

Jimmy F

Halford's do a classic 20/50. I've used the stuff for thre eor four years now in my dodge 51. Great stuff, I had been using Valvoline 20/50. The advantage of the Halford's oil is it does keep oil pressure up after a long hard run.

Me too - and unless customers specify otherwise thats what goes into most of the stuff I do.

As for detergent/non detergent I have my own ideas which i may have mentioned before, but I will spare you them this time around

btw - you still get twits who believe SAE 30HD is in fact 30 (in High Detergent form).

I am not wanting to start a lengthy discussion on which oil is best for what, but having been working on engines of every age size and description for 46 years, I must have learnt something along the way. Ruxy, I will have to pull you up on the above quote of yours, the definition of HD (Heavy Duty) does in fact mean "oil containing detergent, anti-oxidant and other additives to render it suitable for heavy duty diesel engines". This is a direct quote from Joint Services - Handbook of Lubricants and the later version, MoD Defence Standard for Fuels and Lubricants. Diesel engine oil is a high detergent spec. So what is your understanding of it then?