CVRT Sabre 03FD34 new purchase

ferrettkitt

• Replies 75
  • Created
  • Last Reply

Top Posters In This Topic

Andy

Nothing beats a jet wash and degreaser mate. As Im sure Chris would advise drill some holes in the hull (you can tap and bolt them afterwards if you feel inspired to) and get in there with the jetwash. As mine was laid up inside I tried to do it by hand but it will take you days, as opposed to a couple of hours...eventually I put buckets under the drain holes and just kept emptying them periodically...

Cheers

Tim

Drill a hole in the corner of each compartment, you'll need a good drill bit but it's not too hard. The essential tools for CVRT restoration are a pressure washer, wet vacuum cleaner and plenty of marine clean from frosts! Suck the muddy water out first then get cracking with the marine clean!

Edited by sirhc

Drill a hole in the corner of each compartment, you'll need a good drill bit but it's not too hard. The essential tools for CVRT restoration are a pressure washer, wet vacuum cleaner and plenty of marine clean from frosts! Suck the muddy water out first then get cracking with the marine clean!

I went over to the yard with the intention of drilling the hull to let the water out which it did for awhile. The hull drilling drained three batteries luckily I was finished nearly at that point.

Cleaning thats next week the basics anyway

Whats the best way to take the deck off?

Whats the best way to take the deck off?

Take all the louvres off first, then get someone else to help you lift the top off. I find it easiest to stand in the drivers hatch and lift it from there while someone lifts it from the front. It can be tricky to get over the front due to the periscope mounts etc which stick out underneath...A forklift, or engine crane would make it easier! A piece of wood on the radiator will stop you damaging the core.

Take all the louvres off first, then get someone else to help you lift the top off. I find it easiest to stand in the drivers hatch and lift it from there while someone lifts it from the front. It can be tricky to get over the front due to the periscope mounts etc which stick out underneath...A forklift, or engine crane would make it easier! A piece of wood on the radiator will stop you damaging the core.

Thanks Chris that as always is appreciated. I'll post up some more pics next week with the deck off

andy there's electric and water at the yard, there's a 150ft extension lead in the insulated container right next to the doors and the water is on the fence near the container. you might be best buying a steam cleaner and that way I can clean the Cromwell with it aswell ;)

andy there's electric and water at the yard, there's a 150ft extension lead in the insulated container right next to the doors and the water is on the fence near the container. you might be best buying a steam cleaner and that way I can clean the Cromwell with it aswell ;)

Hire a steam cleaner maybe if thats possible

We made up 3 lifting rings which fit in the 3 lifting points for lifting the decks off, makes life far easier! (They even live with the relevant lifting strops in the front tool locker of one of our CVRTs). Of course only any good if you have access to a crane/wrecker/tractor.

That would be handy to see I suspect I'll be doing it the manual way

Hire a steam cleaner maybe if thats possible

That would be handy to see I suspect I'll be doing it the manual way

Andy its not too bad to do manually if theres two of you (though of course 3 is better) you just need to take your time and make sure you dont fall off the side/ hole the radiator/ drop it on your toes (steelies are a good idea!).. You can also make it easier with an engine crane - just wrap some strops round and through various holes - as its not very well balanced you will still need to support it but it just helps to take the lions share of the weight...

Andy its not too bad to do manually if theres two of you (though of course 3 is better) you just need to take your time and make sure you dont fall off the side/ hole the radiator/ drop it on your toes (steelies are a good idea!).. You can also make it easier with an engine crane - just wrap some strops round and through various holes - as its not very well balanced you will still need to support it but it just helps to take the lions share of the weight...

Must be one hell of a steam cleaner! :-)

Andy

• 3 months later...

Andy

My Sabre (04 FD 34) was also at BLMF but the year after yours left...apparently the place was a bit of a dump! Managed to pick up a NATO map of Bosnia as a bit of dressing for the turret.

The 95 repair will almost certainly have been when it was converted to Sabre.

Cheers

Tim

Andy,

I can't attach this on a PM so enjoy it on here!!

What a very interesting Sabre you have!

All the best,

[ATTACH]84812[/ATTACH]

Hi Peter,

Chuffed to bits that you have taken the time to decipher the report it certainly makes for a good read for me anyway all I need to find now is some in service pics :)

Must admit when I was a lad I never in my life thought that I would ever own a Scorpion / Sabre. We certainly live in good times even though sometimes it doesn't feel like it.

I am obviously being dense, as I am apt to be, from time to time, as is my nature.

Why on earth was it sold to ABRO is the one nagging question? To me that sounds like ABRO was going to do something with it, like tart it up and flog it on to some 3rd party (nation) buyer. I had thought that ABRO was exclusively a repair / overhaul organisation all be it with some overseas contract work from what I recall.

Anyone?

R