CVRT Sabre 03FD34 new purchase

ferrettkitt

• Replies 75
  • Created
  • Last Reply

Top Posters In This Topic

I have had a wander over to the yard for my first visit to the Sabre since it was delivered

http://s55.photobucket.com/user/ferrettkitt/library/CVRT%20Sabre

A few pics from the album

2013-05-27132741.jpg

2013-05-27132603.jpg

2013-05-27132543.jpg

What would these be I'm presuming for the turret??

2013-05-27132513.jpg

2013-05-27132504.jpg

2013-05-27132458.jpg

Quite a bit is missing from the turret but I got lucky I managed to get hold of the turret box that sends signals from the turret to the hull. The turret traverse mechanism is seized as well but thats not surprising as its been open to the elements for ten plus years

2013-05-27132358.jpg

What else is missing??

Edited by ferrettkitt

Andy

That doesnt look too bad at all - no really it doesn't! A good dose of a suitable cleaner and a jetwash will make all the difference. Hard to tell what you do and dont have there at the moment. The blue pipe is the top coolant pipe for the engine, together with the heater connections. The round item is the turntable for the commenders sight, you obviously have some spares, and I need one, so put one to one side please for a suitable discussion over beer !!

Cheers

Tim

....oh and the turret not turning is more likely to be due to the floor rollers being seized rather than the traverse mechanism itself, but are you sure the turret lock isn't engaged - left hand side of the hull, there is a bit that swings up and engages with the turret ring teeth... In any event you want to replace the turret rollers with nice new plastic ones from xmod...

http://www.thexmod.com/item_detail.asp?id=453

Andy, you'll need to find an elevation box from somewhere. Shouldn't be too hard to get it mobile. I have a set of Armstrong dampers if you want them, cheaper than messiers!

Tim.. Those are just the commanders sight covers with the OTIS mount, not the turntables I'm afraid!

Chris

....oh and the turret not turning is more likely to be due to the floor rollers being seized rather than the traverse mechanism itself, but are you sure the turret lock isn't engaged - left hand side of the hull, there is a bit that swings up and engages with the turret ring teeth... In any event you want to replace the turret rollers with nice new plastic ones from xmod...

http://www.thexmod.com/item_detail.asp?id=453

Good point didn't check that

Andy, you'll need to find an elevation box from somewhere. Shouldn't be too hard to get it mobile. I have a set of Armstrong dampers if you want them, cheaper than messiers!

Tim.. Those are just the commanders sight covers with the OTIS mount, not the turntables I'm afraid!

Chris

I have a set of Armstrong dampers someone sorted me out with a set that had just come of a vehicle.

I couldn't understand why the interior lights had been pulled apart?

Chris

B**er will keep looking then...!

Hi Andy...

Great Purchase... looking forward to seeing plenty of photos of the restoration !

I've nearly finished the restoration of my Sabre (03-FD-10 purchased from Chris McMillan) follow this link for all tye photos and videos....

http://alvissabre.blogspot.co.uk/

Regards

Paul

Thanks Paul I have been looking at your Sabre and thinking no way that I can do as good a job as you :-( Have to try though :D I am trying not to touch it but I can't help myself I am buying the bits when I see them.

• 3 weeks later...
Here's the first draft of my translation for your Vehicle History Card - do you have the Merlin history as that may provide some more information?

[ATTACH]77953[/ATTACH]

Peter,

The Sabre conversion was not done in 1981, it would have been done in 94/95. Maybe it had the Clansman conversion in 1981?

Chris

Thanks Peter its appreciated I'll send you my Ferrets 00CC09 as well when I scan it up if you don't mind??

No problem, but don't forget the Sabre Merlin paperwork either - I'm sure there's a big chunk of the story missing!

• 2 months later...

A few pictures from yesterday, dust on the lens is the reason for yucky images.

Most of the bits were in the engine bay and this looks like the seat pan any ideas what the long bolts fit onto plus some of the other bits? I will be cleaning it out next weekend the yard has no power or water so its bring everything with you time

2013-08-31122657.jpg

2013-08-31122704.jpg

2013-08-31122626.jpg

2013-08-31122646.jpg