CCKW Windscreen Seal Needs Replacing - Advice Sought

Vulture

Gentlemen, your wise counsel is sought. The window seal on the GMC is well knackered, and this weekend started to tear away from the windscreen at the bottom at both sides. I have 'bodged' it with sticky tape as an interim measure, but want to get it sorted ASAP.

2013-04-07___08.25.25.jpg

Questions:

1. Where can I source the seal from ? (Any suggestions other than Rex Ward ?)

2. The manual only describes taking the windscreen off, not how to disassemble it. Is there anything I need to watch for ?

3. What problems might I encounter putting it back together ?

4. How long will the job take me ?

Your help, as ever, appreciated :-)

Kind regards to all

Vulture

Edited by Vulture

This is the next job on my GMC also. I had a quick look and it seems the first thing is to remove the wiper motors and bits. It then appears there are some nuts and bolts at the top of the frame and then the whole top comes off. I think I will be using a mastic to seal mine. I have to find some glass too as mine is cracked

All you need is to get a new one piece seal for a Dodge weapons carrier, they are the same size and have molded corners, then you need to open the screen outwards pull out seals from the 3 sides, clean the grooves out properly and then slide the new seal into the grooves carefully the hard part is doing the corners time and patience and some silicone grease and blunt screwdrivers is the way to go.

Dont forget to look at the new seal carefully as they have a natural bend to the profile so if you put it in the wrong way round the lippy bit will bend away from the windscreen support frame.

But don't do as I say as you might get hurt.......

All you need is to get a new one piece seal for a Dodge weapons carrier, they are the same size and have molded corners, then you need to open the screen outwards pull out seals from the 3 sides, clean the grooves out properly and then slide the new seal into the grooves carefully the hard part is doing the corners time and patience and some silicone grease and blunt screwdrivers is the way to go.

Dont forget to look at the new seal carefully as they have a natural bend to the profile so if you put it in the wrong way round the lippy bit will bend away from the windscreen support frame.

But don't do as I say as you might get hurt.......

Cubed one, thanks for your thoughts. Would you recommend taking the windscreen out to do the job, or can it be done in-situ ? Also, how long do you estimate it will take ?

Cheers

Vulture

Easier to take the windscreen out ..lots of washing up liquid and a swear box. !!!

having done a few jeep windscreens this can be a ......a....... Annoying task.

Try to getting the inner channel as clean as possible so that the preformed rubber will slide up the channel its a jiggle to get the rubber wet enough to slide and still get enough grip on the rubber so that you can pull it .

.HAVE FUN.

Edited by willysmb

Hi I have done both a jeep and a GMC let me tell you the Gmc was MUCH easier. Here is how we did it.

1, purchased a length of rubber profile from Cliff Harris at Universal jeep supplies

2, removed inner windscreen frame (that took some doing) our glass was ok so nothing to change there

3, removed ALL and I mean ALL the old rubber profile (we made a shaped tool for that part)

4, (optional) removed all other fittings from frame,and wiper units

5, rubbed frame and all parts down prior to painting

6, masked glass and repainted all parts then set aside for a couple of weeks for paint to get a little harder.

7, we then fed in the new profile we needed no tools at all just some magic lubrication;) the real bonus was NOT having the

preformed coners to worry about.

8, once happy we cut 45 degree corners and bonded them with (I think Gorilla glue,which you need water to activate)

9, refitted all the parts and put the inner frame back.....that part was a NOT simple as it seemed :(.

Take your time,its not that hard,helps if you have some help.Vulture you have seen ours at Duxford.

Its one of my pet hates,tatty window rubber....just the dodge to do now.

Good luck.

Easier to take the windscreen out ..lots of washing up liquid and a swear box. !!!

having done a few jeep windscreens this can be a ......a....... Annoying task.

Try to getting the inner channel as clean as possible so that the preformed rubber will slide up the channel its a jiggle to get the rubber wet enough to slide and still get enough grip on the rubber so that you can pull it .

.HAVE FUN.

A swear box !! Hummm, I could v short of cash by the end of this little job by the sound of it ! LOL :)

Hi I have done both a jeep and a GMC let me tell you the GMC was MUCH easier. Here is how we did it.

1, purchased a length of rubber profile from Cliff Harris at Universal jeep supplies

2, removed inner windscreen frame (that took some doing) our glass was ok so nothing to change there

3, removed ALL and I mean ALL the old rubber profile (we made a shaped tool for that part)

4, (optional) removed all other fittings from frame,and wiper units

5, rubbed frame and all parts down prior to painting

6, masked glass and repainted all parts then set aside for a couple of weeks for paint to get a little harder.

7, we then fed in the new profile we needed no tools at all just some magic lubrication;) the real bonus was NOT having the

preformed corners to worry about.

8, once happy we cut 45 degree corners and bonded them with (I think Gorilla glue,which you need water to activate)

9, refitted all the parts and put the inner frame back.....that part was a NOT simple as it seemed :(.

Take your time,its not that hard,helps if you have some help.Vulture you have seen ours at Duxford.

Its one of my pet hates,tatty window rubber....just the dodge to do now.

Good luck.

Gas44

Thanks for your very comprehensive thoughts :thanx:. Two follow up questions if I may:

1) Is a Stanley knife a suitable tool for cutting the old seal out, and

2) What element of re-fitting the screen presented a problem ?

I'm torn between taking the screen out or leaving it in, because:

a) with the screen out access is much easier for getting the old seal out etc etc

b) removing the screen means disturbing stuff that hasn't been messed with for years, and knowing my luck it might all go pete tong... :banghead: LOL

I'm off to the Yorkshire MVT 'Crank Up' this coming Sunday in York, so might while-away some of the time cutting away the seal and perhaps trying to gently slackening some bolts off.

Well in my humble opinion, Id take the screen out.

Trying to work over the bonnet is going to one big Bar stool..

I cant agree with Gas44 re the fitting being that easy ..( sorry) All my rubbers have been MV spares, regarded in the jeep world as a top quality products ..the Jimmy/Dodge and Jeep inner windscreen are identical Extrusions..

the Frame will need to be spotless within the grove ..Lubrication is king ...

Just a thought, hows the rest of your inner frame ??? new fully glazed and rubberd frames are only ...Sorry i say only ...£245...these are for Dodges so are about 1/4 of an inch shorter..

My frame looked oki'sh until i removed it and it well "Fell apart":-X

Gas44

Thanks for your very comprehensive thoughts :thanx:. Two follow up questions if I may:

1) Is a Stanley knife a suitable tool for cutting the old seal out, and

2) What element of re-fitting the screen presented a problem ?

I'm torn between taking the screen out or leaving it in, because:

a) with the screen out access is much easier for getting the old seal out etc etc

b) removing the screen means disturbing stuff that hasn't been messed with for years, and knowing my luck it might all go pete tong... :banghead: LOL

I'm off to the Yorkshire MVT 'Crank Up' this coming Sunday in York, so might while-away some of the time cutting away the seal and perhaps trying to gently slackening some bolts off.

Vulture,

We did not use a knife,we used grips to pull what we could out and then a engineers pick to get the other parts out.

As i said my mate made us a profilled tool to go into the channel....that realy hepled with the clean up.

I would think (but not sure) trying to fit the new rubber with the frame in situ would be more difficult.

As regards refitting the screen, it was very tight sliding into the fixed channel on the outer frame.

Gary

Well in my humble opinion, Id take the screen out.

Trying to work over the bonnet is going to one big Bar stool..

I cant agree with Gas44 re the fitting being that easy ..( sorry) All my rubbers have been MV spares, regarded in the jeep world as a top quality products ..the Jimmy/Dodge and Jeep inner windscreen are identical Extrusions..

the Frame will need to be spotless within the grove ..Lubrication is king ...

Just a thought, hows the rest of your inner frame ??? new fully glazed and rubberd frames are only ...Sorry i say only ...£245...these are for Dodges so are about 1/4 of an inch shorter..

My frame looked oki'sh until i removed it and it well "Fell apart":-X

If you re-read my post you will see that I stated we found fitting the Gmc seal "easier" than the Jeep, not that it was easy to do.

For what its worth....I would agree with you........removal is the way to go.

• 4 weeks later...
Hi there, just a thought, have you tried Seals Direct ? I got a suitable outer seal for the windscreen of my closed cab Jimmy from them. They're a good bunch of blokes and have an extensive range of various rubber extrusions. They're quick too and will post you examples for comparison. Contact details are:- sales@sealsplusdirect.co.uk tel:- 08452263345.

ZIL157

Rex Ward doesn't stock the seal, and I got the brush off from Jeep Parts. Rex suggested Seal+Direct like you. Looking at the page http://www.sealsdirect.co.uk/shopping.asp?intDepartmentId=68 any idea which one you ordered ?

Kind regards

Vulture

Mmmmm

The ideal stuff for corners and joins in rubber is good old superglue. Try and get a really good flat surface when you cut the 45 degree mitres and to do that a safety razor blade is ideal. OK so you will probably glue your fingers to the rubber at some point but the skin will tear before the rubber comes undone. But it is good stuff and forms a molecular bond which lasts well.

The other question was "how long will it take?". Well at least double what you thought....That said neat rubbers are a joy to behold and scabby ones spoil anything so go for it and good luck.

Why not use a silicone sealer ?

Loco

I'm not following your train of thought here (probably me just having a senior moment). Where should I be using the sealer ? To lubricate the rubber seal as I slide it into the canal ?

Kind regards

Vulture

Sorry, I meant using some sickoflex type stuff instead of a rubber seal. I have used it I'm my boat and its very neat if you do it carefully.

however I do appreciate you might want to use rubber to be more authentic.

it was just a thought.

Sorry, I meant using some sickoflex type stuff instead of a rubber seal. I have used it I'm my boat and its very neat if you do it carefully.

however I do appreciate you might want to use rubber to be more authentic.

it was just a thought.

Im not sure that you could shape the sickoflex to anywhere the correct profile.:wow: Its not just a case of being authentic its more a case of being correct. (and I'm not counting rivets ;))

Vulture,

I am informed that the dodge wc series seals are the same size asthe Gmc,however good luck with getting one of those. I tried for ages ,Dallas never seemed to have any,although they were always due in. Jeep parts not any use either. in the end i got one at Stoneliegh in Jan from a Dutch trader.

As I said before try Cliff Harris thats where i got ours from.

• 5 weeks later...

Chaps

I short update. Tried a total of 6 suppliers (including Cliff Harris) and failed to get anywhere. Ended up with a company called Dugdale's. They have a range of products under the title of 'Rubber Extrusions' Link. After chatting with the very helpful owner on Friday I settled on a product 'R40 Windscreen Section' and ordered a 9ft length which arrived on Saturday. It's not quite as long as the one I've taken off, or as thick, but it fits just fine, and should keep the weather out.:):yay: I'll upload a photo at the weekend after I've finished the job (ran out of time today).:whentitsdone:

In the meantime here is a recent shot of the truck in front of Cliffords Tower here in York that I'm quite pleased with. I've entitled it, 'The Historic and The Ancient :)

-

2013-06-02___09.34.51-Cropped.jpg

Edited by Vulture
To add link.

Just out of interest - did you try Walker Rubber at Norwich? I posted a link to them during a similar discussion a year or so back.

Must confess I didn't. First I've heard of them. Didn't see any Google links to them either. I take it you've used them and found them okay ?

Cheers

Vulture