Shell casing

TooTallMike

It looks like it's about 155mm in calibre which would make it HE in all probability. Besides it doens't look like any smoke round I have ever seen and 155mm is heavy and not expected to be used in an armour-defeating role, which would get it painted black. NATO standard would therefore demand that it be painted Olive Green with Yellow writing on it.

However, it could very easily pre-date NATO, and maybe not even bat for the same side, so without further information, I can say no more. In fact, having reached the limit of my knowledge of HE ammunition, even with further information, I could say no more.

Of course, since it didn't explode, it may be a practice round (though I don't know if heavy artillery units ever fire PRAC). In this case it should be painted sky blue, but of course that wouldn't look at all warry.

Besides, in recent years Heavy Regiments have fired Lance. It doesn't look like a Lance round to me. Or even a lance.

Don't paint it. Take a wire brush to it and really clean it up. You might also use a small hammer and a chisel to "carefully"chip odd bits of heavy rust off. Then once it is fully clean, coat it in yachting varnish. Believe me, it will look superb. I have a WW1 18pdr shell done like this at home and it is a lovely ornament. I've got several other shells left plain which I cleaned up after bringing them home from the Somme last October. I'm thinking of treating a pick head to the varnish, but this belongs to Stryker. We used a wire brush,chisel and a centre punch to remove corosion from spent shell fuse caps and on some painted numerals or punched symbols were revealed - making the whole job very satisfying.

You took a hammer and chisel to shells from the Somme :-o :-o I've watched the guys blowing these things up over there. Serious ******g holes they are going to make in your lounge carpet mate. :-D :-D :-D.

Ok, sorry, I understand you know the difference between those that will go off and those that cant - but not everyone who does the tourist thing over there will. It wouldnt do to give the impression to some of the Charlies who do the trip that they can just pick up anything which still lies around in plenty and make a paperweight out of it. I'm sure you'd agree.

No, no, no......only very empty shell cases. I wouldn't touch anything else whatsoever. On my last trip we saw live shrapnel shells, a German 77mm HE and several hand grenades. I photograph them and walk away very quickly. Empty cases and bits are safe to handle. But, I never sanction touching anything I have doubts about at all. No point. One other thing, I am not a fieldwalker. This was all stuff visible strolling around Trones Wood and up by Auchonvillers. The fieldwalkers are out with tools and long telescopic prods and suchlike and some have metal detectors. Here I am thinking metal detectors from Argos do not mix with 90 year old explosives.

Don't paint it. Take a wire brush to it and really clean it up. You might also use a small hammer and a chisel to "carefully"chip odd bits of heavy rust off. Then once it is fully clean, coat it in yachting varnish. Believe me, it will look superb. I have a WW1 18pdr shell done like this at home and it is a lovely ornament. I've got several other shells left plain which I cleaned up after bringing them home from the Somme last October. I'm thinking of treating a pick head to the varnish, but this belongs to Stryker. We used a wire brush,chisel and a centre punch to remove corosion from spent shell fuse caps and on some painted numerals or punched symbols were revealed - making the whole job very satisfying.

Thanks for the advice. That sounds a pleasing solution. As I know nothing about munitions, can I assume that since it has no 'pointy bit' and only rust comes out when it's up-ended, that it's safe to handle? I only ask because it's in the boot of my car... :shake:

Thanks for the advice. That sounds a pleasing solution. As I know nothing about munitions, can I assume that since it has no 'pointy bit' and only rust comes out when it's up-ended, that it's safe to handle? I only ask because it's in the boot of my car... :shake:

You'll find out soon enough if you get rear-ended mate!!! As would the surrounding neghbourhood!! :schocked: :schocked: