432 pack lift with Stolly ?

RecyMech

Question

Af,noon chaps

Could anyone confirm please that it is, or is`nt, possible to lift a 432 K60 pack out using an FV623/624 Stolly ?

I've lifted many a pack myself with a Leyland Martian (many years ago) & helped the A mechs do it with a 434....but never seen it done with a Stolly. Does it have sufficient lift capacity, stability & reach ???

Reason for asking....the 1/24th scale model 432 master patterns are now approaching completion & when I do one of the test builds I'd like to pose it with the pack in mid air using one of the Stolly kits. A 434 kit is planned in due course, but for now the Stolly is all I have with a crane.

Any advice/thoughts on the matter much appreciated.:thanx:

TTFN........ Howard @ KFS

16 answers to this question

I did PLENTY of pack lifts with the 434 when I was a vehicle mech, before I went Armourer!

I believe the stolly's 'crane' was also a HIAB, the same as used on the 434?

The only question is, I dont know if the susspension can be locked, the same as on a 434?

The reason for 'locking' the susspension hyraulicly. Was to prevent the lifting vehicle from sagging over to one side. (The side doing the lifting!)

Having never worked on a HIAB variant of the stolly. I cannot confirm if that variant of vehicle's susspension can be locked?

IF it CAN, Then I WOULD say that it IS possible!....The HIAB crane is VERY versatile, & if used with SMALL movements on the HIAB. VERY small increments of movement ARE indeed possible! It's a Two man job though!

You NEED one man operating the HIAB. & the other on the vehicle having it's pack lifted. The one on the vehicle being 'lifted'. can shout out instructions to the HIAB Operator.

IE: Up Outer, Up Inner, etc. The HIAB lifting Boom is is Two main sections. & reach & Lift are acheived through both seperately.

Hi FF

You've pretty much followed my train of thought re the suspension on the Stolly.....that was the 'stabilty' part of the query about the Stolly. It being wheeled, etc etc

The Stolly crane though is an Atlas & different to the Hiab on the 434, so I was`nt sure about its reach-v-capacity. Being as the crane is centrally mounted in the Stolly hull, whereas the 434 is off to one side.

Anyone ever seen it done ????????

H

Af,noon chaps

Could anyone confirm please that it is, or is`nt, possible to lift a 432 K60 pack out using an FV623/624 Stolly ?

I've lifted many a pack myself with a Leyland Martian (many years ago) & helped the A mechs do it with a 434....but never seen it done with a Stolly. Does it have sufficient lift capacity, stability & reach ???

Reason for asking....the 1/24th scale model 432 master patterns are now approaching completion & when I do one of the test builds I'd like to pose it with the pack in mid air using one of the Stolly kits. A 434 kit is planned in due course, but for now the Stolly is all I have with a crane.

Any advice/thoughts on the matter much appreciated.:thanx:

TTFN........ Howard @ KFS

Hi Howard.

i do have a book which I think is called the B series engine in national service which shows on the front cover a stolly lifting a engine out of a Saladin. Not sure if this answers your question but keep up the great work with these iconic vehicles .

Reards Tony

Hi Tony,:-D

Yes mate got that same book here. Not a great deal of weight in a B80 compared to a full K60 pack though.

As I understand it (stand to be corrected) the REME Stolly (FV624) was just a spin off the the RA limber (FV623) with a creep feature on the crane controls & different crew seating arrangment....so, logically, if the RA limber was issued to RA Abbot Regiments then the REME FV624 was as well.....but I believe the Abbot pack is different to the 432 pack, so I'm still not certain a Stolly could cope with a 432 pack lift.:undecided:

You know how it is...if I build the diorama with a Stolly lifting a 432 pack & get it wrong, someone is bound to tell me after the event.:banghead:

By the left.

H

Hi Tony,:-D

Yes mate got that same book here. Not a great deal of weight in a B80 compared to a full K60 pack though.

As I understand it (stand to be corrected) the REME Stolly (FV624) was just a spin off the the RA limber (FV623) with a creep feature on the crane controls & different crew seating arrangment....so, logically, if the RA limber was issued to RA Abbot Regiments then the REME FV624 was as well.....but I believe the Abbot pack is different to the 432 pack, so I'm still not certain a Stolly could cope with a 432 pack lift.:undecided:

You know how it is...if I build the diorama with a Stolly lifting a 432 pack & get it wrong, someone is bound to tell me after the event.:banghead:

By the left.

Them rivet counters get every were. Of to the Crewe this weekend going to display the Champ and the pig, any enquirys and I will point them in your direction.

Regards Tony.

Hi

I have got a stalwart load carrier and have fitted an atlas crane out of a limber for lifting packs out

of 432s.

If you look at my pictures in my gallery you will see a pack hanging off the crane.

It was a bit scary but it can be done.

There you go! The HIAB I know, has an inner arm sliding section that had slide in & out via a hydraulic ram. This make precise movement possible for pack lifts a LOT easier!

I have never used a MILITARY Atlas, But I DID once drive a Civvy Beavertail that had an ATLAS fitted. That DID have a sliding inner boom also!

I guess when push come to shove. as long as the lifting capacity is within safe limits. Pretty much anything can be overcome if you have nothing to lose! The loaded Ammo Pallets unloaded by the Stolly cranes ARE pretty heavy!...............

Good luck!...;)

Many many thanks one & all for helping me out on this. I knew I was asking the right folks.:kissoncheek:

To sum up then, it seems the Atlas has the 'reach' ok, & according to the (thanks to sirhc) table 'is' officially allowed to lift the nearly 500kg lighter Mk1 pack.

Officially not reccomended for lifting the K60 pack it would seem, but at the same time it is actually 'possible' as Carl shows, in a 'push comes to shove' situation. Probably all down to the non lockable & softer suspension of the Stolly I'd guess.

As a complete aside....spotted a mis-print in the table...."432 Barrel" ???:nono:

Many thanks for your time & input lads. You're all 5 star.:thanx:

Howard @ KFS