withams tender this month

BRDM Driver

Can anyone visiting Withams check out this lot, please?

[TABLE=width: 500]

[TR]

[TD=bgcolor: #EFEFEF]51[/TD]

[TD=bgcolor: #EFEFEF]Land Rover Lightweight LHD Diesel Ex Reserve Still in Pallet - Included in Sale

Mileage From: Low KMS[/TD]

[TD=bgcolor: #EFEFEF]£4,500.00[/TD]

[TD=bgcolor: #EFEFEF][/TD]

[TD=bgcolor: #EFEFEF][/TD]

[/TR]

[TR]

[/TR]

[/TABLE]

LHD diesels were only used by the Dutch Army, right?

Now, how would 2 "still in pallet" end up with the British MoD?!?

Edited by mcspool

indeed, dutch army land rovers had the diesels.

not just the lightweight, also the ambulances and scout vehicles used them,

how they ended in the uk? don't know but for that price they can stay there. i rather buy a 2.25 thats worn and have it rebuild as a fresh unit.

The top items are CET steer units, unusual in as much as the core (centre bit) is a diff steer unit similar to those used in fv432 and the outer bits are skid steer assys (like a bulldozer). They were conceived to drive on road using diff steer and skid steer whilst digging!

These are upgraded units as sappers found it easier to dig fast using diff steer and surprise surprise they broke. So a mod programme was introduced to enable them to do same (The stresses whilst digging using diff steer are horrendous and the intermediate shafts snapped like carrots, doing something they were never designed to do). There are some quite exotic materials and mods inside.

I gather the modded units worked well. I can't say I blame the poor old sappers, if you're being shot at whilst digging you want to do it fast and with the mods boy could they do it fast. The easy wat to tell they're modded is by the stiffening webs on the outer casings. Jerry

The top items are CET steer units, unusual in as much as the core (centre bit) is a diff steer unit similar to those used in fv432 and the outer bits are skid steer assys (like a bulldozer). They were conceived to drive on road using diff steer and skid steer whilst digging!

These are upgraded units as sappers found it easier to dig fast using diff steer and surprise surprise they broke. So a mod programme was introduced to enable them to do same (The stresses whilst digging using diff steer are horrendous and the intermediate shafts snapped like carrots, doing something they were never designed to do). There are some quite exotic materials and mods inside.

I gather the modded units worked well. I can't say I blame the poor old sappers, if you're being shot at whilst digging you want to do it fast and with the mods boy could they do it fast. The easy wat to tell they're modded is by the stiffening webs on the outer casings. Jerry

Thanks for that snippet, I have had CET's for the past 7 years and was not aware of that fact, will check mine has the uprated one on Sunday.

Thanks for that snippet, I have had CET's for the past 7 years and was not aware of that fact, will check mine has the uprated one on Sunday.

John

I'd get one either way the price is more than a steal. The steer units were built at R-R Crewe, like the K60, Allison g/box & steer units for the fv432. The CET unit is a CGS312 & fv432 is a CGS311, for some reason I never knew why they were called 'Cletracs' at the factory. If you get one let me know as I have the parts list that was provided to the MoD for them to enter into there parts system. CET's are a smashing vehicles, I was lucky enough to drive one around Long Valley - happy days. Good luck. Jerry

The Dutch Lightwights belong to Withams, they have/had loads of them stacked up in one of the sheds.

Thanks for the replies, so they are nothing special. The description implies they are NOS / unissued....

Edited by mcspool

Does anybody know if you can get the keys and see if the vehicles start i am interested in the Nissan Pathfinder and maybe another DAF but which one?

I was looking at the Drops but they all look a bit rough.

I am planning to go on Friday afternoon.

Does anybody know if you can get the keys and see if the vehicles start i am interested in the Nissan Pathfinder and maybe another DAF but which one?

I was looking at the Drops but they all look a bit rough.

I am planning to go on Friday afternoon.

You can find one of the yard guys and they can start it for you. They are usually more than happy to help, and will even jump start, as long as you don't go mad and want loads of vehicles starting!

You can find one of the yard guys and they can start it for you. They are usually more than happy to help, and will even jump start, as long as you don't go mad and want loads of vehicles starting!

Had a look round the drops today and didnt think there was a runner amongst them:( Most stuff up there looked to be on the tatty side! 2-3 good landrovers 6-8 Dafs(4X4) 1 Drops no CVRTs 1 CET even the spares looked poor(the steering boxes and gearboxes and engines excluded)

We bought one of the Dutch Airportables in the last but one tender , as others have said , ok condition but not exceptional and certainly not unissued . Ours has as bit of corrosion but not too bad , didn't pay anywhere near their quoted price though . Can't speak for all of them but ours does have the Dutch issue top .

We bought one of the Dutch Airportables in the last but one tender , as others have said , ok condition but not exceptional and certainly not unissued . Ours has as bit of corrosion but not too bad , didn't pay anywhere near their quoted price though . Can't speak for all of them but ours does have the Dutch issue top .

The ones in the tender have doors and tilt and frame laid in the back!

The ones in the tender have doors and tilt and frame laid in the back!

Yep , same as ours then . Forgot to say - the guys in the yard were very helpful when we looked at ours but they're not keen on starting these as they have been laid up for some time , also , they don't come with any keys so you need to budget for a replacement barrel etc , a minor thing in the great scheme of things I know but.......

• 2 months later...
The Dutch Lightwights belong to Withams, they have/had loads of them stacked up in one of the sheds.

Another "rare opportunity", not a Dutchie "still in pallet" but "the very last one to be released from service!" - after being stripped and (ab)used as a REME training aid, it seems :D

http://www.mod-sales.com/auction/vehicle/related/54080/Land_Rover_Series_III_88.htm