Flathead V8 clutch

T.Watts

Good evening every one, another question in regards to converting my WOT6 to diesel, I am in the process of joining the landrover engine to the Fordson gearbox, now here is the question, What is the diameter of a Flathead V8 clutch plate? I have a clutch plate that fits the gearbox splines but it is out of a Fordson major tractor and measures 11inches and looks to big. Any one shed any light?

hopefully what I have typed makes sense to somebody!!

Good evening every one, another question in regards to converting my WOT6 to diesel, I am in the process of joining the landrover engine to the Fordson gearbox, now here is the question, What is the diameter of a Flathead V8 clutch plate? I have a clutch plate that fits the gearbox splines but it is out of a Fordson major tractor and measures 11inches and looks to big. Any one shed any light?

Tom,

You need to compare the Land Rover driven plate, diameter and centre, not just the splines as I have seen plates fitted where the fingers had just touched the centre on declutching and pressed the plate against the flywheel. A fraction of an inch can do this. Also if you find a Borg & Beck catalogue, you can narrow down possible plates by outside diameter and centre splines (number and diameter of them).

regards, Richard

Thanks for the quick replies, think I have overcome the clutch plate problem, there is a place up the road from where I work that deals in clutches/brakes that will hopefully modify the landrover clutch plate so that it fits the fordson gearbox. I then have to work out the release bearing to clutch release mechanism distances etc so that the adapter plate can be made to the correct thickness etc to enable the clutch to release engage correctly, no doubt there will be more fun and games!!!

Tom, which Land Rover engine are you fitting, is it a 2 1/4, or a 200tdi???

If you don't get fixed up with a clutch plate, I have had good service from Joblot Motors in queens village New York,(no relation) they list a 9 inch (91A-7550) and 10 inch plate (29A-7550) that will fit your splines, both at $39.95, but no 91/2 inch.

If you are fitting a 2 1/4 diesel, I would think the 9 inch would be fine, but you may need the full 91/2 inch for a 200tdi, it may be possible to trim the 10 inch one down to 91/2, if you know someone with a big lathe.

How are you aligning the gearbox to the engine???

cheers Nedsmith