Arnhem 2013

Hi Guys,

I'm planning to take the Jeep over to Arnhem this September, I've done Normandy a couple of times but never Arnhem. what I am really looking for is any help or advice that anyone can give, where to stay, places to visit, official commemorations etc. Any help would be gratefully received, at the moment all I know is that it will be in September and I'll probably get wet as usual!

Many thanks,

Glen.

Thanks for all the help so far chaps, the ABWO site looks good but I'm not really into the re-enactment side of things, I just really love driving my Jeep at these historic sites. Does one have to wear uniform to take part in ABWO? or are "civvies" o.k to wear?

As regards 2014 I don't think you can really choose between Normandy and Arnhem, I'm going to ask permission from She who must be obeyed to attend both! :shocked: 70th anniversary's and probably the last time any veterans will be attending?

The ABWO site is 100% British and to be quite honest you would feel a bit out of place

when going out on the runs in civvies and doing the race to the bridge it is a requirment

for all the front runners are kitted out correctly you'll enjoy it I guarantee

Commander

• 2 weeks later...

Many thanks for all the help chaps, the Airborne Battle Wheels site looks to be the way to go, all I need to do now is find some battledress in a very large size!

How about museums? does anyone have any recommendations or suggestions? I'm assuming the Hartenstein Hotel is the main one, but does anybody have any other suggestions to make?

Airborne Battle Wheels will keep you very busy in your Jeep, they cover lots of places of interest, I have done this site several times, and never get tired of doing it. You need a british para smock, red beret, b/d trousers and your Jeep, thats about it....... one word of caution, take a warm sleeping bag, it can get cool at night (September) The man to liase with over all aspects of this trip, and all things that you might require will be the "Commander" (Chris)........ If Chris had been around during WW11 he would have been Pattons go getter........ Once you have tried this trip, you will not want to do it any other way.

I forgot to mention the ferry crossing from Hull to Europort. Its an overnight crossing sailing at 9.00pm arriving about 7.00am. If you join Chris (Commanders) party, you will have a cabin thats very well equiped, like sailing really.... nothing like the Normandy ferry crossings. The ferry trip in its self is a very pleasant experience, entertainment, first class restaurants quite luxurious.......... give it a go, you will not be disappointed. Then you will have the drive in convoy from the ferry port to Arnhem, some twelve miles from the German border. I have always enjoyed that part of the trip. A couple of stops are made en-route, just to stretch the old legs, and check the motors........ all great fun, with a great bunch of folks.

• 3 months later...

Evening Chaps,

the Airborne Battle Wheels site seems not to have been updated since last year, or am I being particularly dense? The form to download is still for 2012. Can anyone confirm if they are running the event this year? and if so how would I get in contact with them? As I'm in Essex I'm assuming we'll be going from Harwich to the Hook of Holland and then driving across, apart from that I'm guessing. Any suggestions would be gratefully received! Anyone else going this way?

Glen.