I bet they're from your new book Clive? I just knew it would bring trouble on us.

A pre-existing book actually Phil. I thought it might be too obvious, only just started on the new one. All I've learnt so far is that corporal punishment must not be done on Sundays & drunkenness is not a great offence, it is only so when it is "habitual" :D

The shapes with those flattened ends just reminded me of that searchlight at Beltring a few years ago, it looked too wide for to be one, but four in a row explains it.

Wouldn't be wanting to drive around in a car unless they had a dip switch fitted.....

Back in the dark ages...1971/2 I was attached to the Coldstream Guards in BAOR and remember an FTX during which we did a lot of night moves using the light from searchlights shone into the clouds behind us. It was a very weird experience as we could see very clearly, but I felt it was a stupid thing to do as if we could see, so could an enemy!

Merlin that's interesting. One tends to think of it as just a WW2 system, but that pamphlet was dated 1950 "Tactical Employment of Movement Light" I wonder when it was discontinued as a viable arrangement?

I suppose the most famous use light like that was crossing the Rhine towards the end of WW2. It was also recorded that LVTs were equipped with Tabby, which they didn't actually use for navigation but relied on DF fixes from 19 sets.

Anyway here are the two preceding pages from the pamphlet.

App3431.jpg