Driving historic heavies after 70 rs of age.

Hi folks, after 70 yrs old one can self certify that you are fit to drive up to 3500kg, a doctor needs to certify you fit to drive up to 7500kg, where does this leave us who drive over 7500kg historic vehicles on a car license that we have had for ever?

Seems obvious that one can't and phoning Swansea is probably not going to get one very reliable information.

I've been trying without much success to find out, has anyone been through this and come up with a definitive answer?

Bernard

Thanks for the replies chaps, I was querying this after reading on a thread on a motorhome forum where some folks where getting very confused and panicking as they had very large motorhomes and where coming up to 70.

The FBHC web site seems to agree with you both on this one.

Regards Bernard

(quote)

2) What happens to my driving entitlements when I reach 70? At age 70, driving licences expire and must be renewed every three years thereafter. From 1998, new drivers have been required to pass additional tests for categories B+E, C1, C1+E, D1 and D1+E but existing holders of a general car licence at that date were effectively given ‘grandfather’ rights to the new categories until renewal. These ‘grandfather’ rights, however, are not renewed automatically, so if you wish to retain them after 70, you must ask to do so and will need to provide a medical certificate with the renewal request. (A medical certificate is not required for categories B + E alone).

4) What kind of large (or unusual) vehicles can I drive on a normal car licence?

At the time of writing, the holder of a full category B licence may drive the following vehicles without seeking further qualification:

steam vehicles;**

goods vehicles made before 1960 used unladen;

buses or coaches over 30 years old carrying no more than 8 passengers;

road construction machinery, digging machines & engineering plant;

works trucks;

tractors & agricultural vehicles;

certain breakdown vehicles.

This is not an exhaustive list and distance restrictions apply in some cases. Full details at www.direct.gov.uk/en/Motoring/DriverLicensing

**FBHVC strongly recommends that anyone contemplating driving a steam vehicle should consider one of the training courses available from the National Traction Engine Trust

Thanks for the replies chaps, I was querying this after reading on a thread on a motorhome forum where some folks where getting very confused and panicking as they had very large motorhomes and where coming up to 70.

The FBHC web site seems to agree with you both on this one.

Regards Bernard

(quote)

2) What happens to my driving entitlements when I reach 70? At age 70, driving licences expire and must be renewed every three years thereafter. From 1998, new drivers have been required to pass additional tests for categories B+E, C1, C1+E, D1 and D1+E but existing holders of a general car licence at that date were effectively given ‘grandfather’ rights to the new categories until renewal. These ‘grandfather’ rights, however, are not renewed automatically, so if you wish to retain them after 70, you must ask to do so and will need to provide a medical certificate with the renewal request. (A medical certificate is not required for categories B + E alone).

4) What kind of large (or unusual) vehicles can I drive on a normal car licence?

At the time of writing, the holder of a full category B licence may drive the following vehicles without seeking further qualification:

steam vehicles;**

goods vehicles made before 1960 used unladen;

buses or coaches over 30 years old carrying no more than 8 passengers;

road construction machinery, digging machines & engineering plant;

works trucks;

tractors & agricultural vehicles;

certain breakdown vehicles.

This is not an exhaustive list and distance restrictions apply in some cases. Full details at www.direct.gov.uk/en/Motoring/DriverLicensing

**FBHVC strongly recommends that anyone contemplating driving a steam vehicle should consider one of the training courses available from the National Traction Engine Trust

Thank you for posting this information, very much appreciated.

• 3 weeks later...

Being of a certain age I am currently going through the process of renewing my licence and have had a nightmare of a time with Swansea in attempting to obtain the appropriate forms. I have now obtained them but just a warning to others not to leave things to the last minute. On another thread Tony Graves states that from January 2013 there has been a change in the law and if you are 70 or over you will need to pass a medical in order to drive pre 1960 over 3t unladen vehicles which seems to contradict previous posts. Another point is that you will also have to go through the same process in order to keep your trailer entitlement.

Not a task made easy by those who seem to begrudge us our rights Degsy, that's for sure...just when it seems sorted you come up against the same requirement for a medical.

Please let us know chapter and verse on how you get through the process, we need to know this stuff once and for all.

First thing to do will be read through the leaflets and all the forms I've ended up with an decide exactly which ones are required for my purposes. I only require a licence for up to 7.5 tonne and of course a trailer as I no longer have a LGV requirement. I also need to check the date on the photo on my present licence as photos are only valid for a limited period. (from memory 10 yrs). Next thing will be to make an appointment with the doc for a medical which I will have to pay a fee for but they do reduce it when a private individual is paying (don't know if all doctor's do this). I have actually spoken to the doc and he does not foresee any problems as I have regular MOT's:-D

I will post further as things progress.

Update. Been to the Doc's and passed the medical and he has completed Form D4, I have now completed forms D46P and D2 and will be sending the whole lot off to Swansea tomorrow.

Initially when your licence is due for renewal Swansea will send a form D46P and an information leaflet but this is only for cars. You also need to obtain a medical exam form D4 and also a form D2, the leaflet explains how to obtain these (probably ok when the website is working properly but a nightmare when it's not). Incidentally the info that states that a D4 form is part of a D2 pack is incorrect and they need to be obtained separately. If you need to renew a photo or obtain a photo licence for the first time a fee is payable but if it is only a renewal it is free. The recommended fee for the medical is £120 but the actual charge is down to your doctor, I'm lucky in that if it is a private individual paying as opposed to a company he reduces the fee by 50%.

Hope this info helps, just a question of waiting now and hoping they don't miss any groups off the new licence.

Hope this info helps, just a question of waiting now and hoping they don't miss any groups off the new licence.
Please don't leave this to luck - lots of people have permanently lost entitlements when their licenses have been returned and unless you have test pass certificates to back you up you haven't a leg to stand on as old licenses are destroyed. I would strongly recommend getting a good quality photocopy of your existing license before you send it to Swansea.

- MG

Please don't leave this to luck - lots of people have permanently lost entitlements when their licenses have been returned and unless you have test pass certificates to back you up you haven't a leg to stand on as old licenses are destroyed. I would strongly recommend getting a good quality photocopy of your existing license before you send it to Swansea.

- MG

Very good advise, I have always copied my license before sending it off ( and a lot of other important documents)

• 4 weeks later...
All this lot of official balderdash to earn your living, and they worry about your blood pressure! Last medical the nurse got all frothy and told me I'd be on blood pressure pills for the rest of my life! Ten miutes later it was down to 80!

That could only happen to you:laugh:........anybody else and it would have shot up.

• 1 month later...

Finally got my licence through from DVLA after agreat deal of toing and froing due to misinformation. I have let my HGV and passenger vehicle categories go as I no longer need them and the hassle involved with having tests done in hospital was just not worth it. Incidentally there have been changes in the categories and in the letter codes, the important one in my case is the category BE which is the new code for towing a trailer over 750kg but it is important to check carefully when filling in the application form that you apply for the correct group codes.