What are these vehicles?

NigeP

A few years ago, I scanned some photos for my Father in Law, of vehicles he drove and used during his National Service as a Sapper in Egypt & Libya. I know he was involved in bridge building, road repair and airfield construction. I also know that he drove a Diamond T amongst other vehicles and towed some form of large trailer carrying the construction equipment. He recently passed away and while digging through the photos I had of him, I found the scans. I was just wondering what exactly the vehicles were.

al6_zpsbd4616a0.jpg

al14_zpsc56f7d6f.jpg

Diamond T??

al16_zps17c6ecf0.jpg

Scammel??

al4_zps4c96e83b.jpg

???

al5_zps689d942c.jpg

???

When he finished NS, he failed to retain his licence, which he regretted as he had to retake his test in the 60's and of course only got a car licence from that.

Many thanks for any info on the vehicles.

Nige

Diamond T 980 tank transporter tractor

Scammell Pioneer R100 Artillery tractor

Ruston Bucyrus face shovel with Caterpillar D7 with LeTourneau blade kit behind

Caterpiller D4 with LaPlante Choate hydraulic angledozer.

Nice pictures!

crikey Adrian..remind me not to ever enter a 'Vehicle Recognition Competition' against you ! :D:D

I knew sort of roughly what they were .....but you're on the ball you is mate !:D

Many thanks for that info. I thought the Diamond T was a flat bed truck, but the trailer must attach somehow I guess. I'll have to see if I can find one at a show. As to the Scammel, I presume this would have towed a plant trailer as well.

Thanks

Nige

Really grand old photo's NigeP..:-D

I don't know how you find it but a good while back I posted similar pictures of my ol' Dads time in Korea and Malaya with a a load of similar vehicles....you might be interested in them if you can dig them out of the archives on here :-)

ahah! easy really ..use the search bar :red:

http://hmvf.co.uk/forumvb/showthread.php?25854-My-Dads-Korea-and-Malaya-Photos-Mid-1950s-PART-2&highlight=korea+malaya

that's Part 2 of the threads there's Part 1 right by it somewhere

Edited by RattlesnakeBob

Both the Scammell and the Diamond T would have towed a plant trailer. They both have NATO style towing jaws at the back. For a closer look at a Diamond T you can have a look at the restoration thread for Adrian Mason's one:

http://hmvf.co.uk/forumvb/showthread.php?9045-Diamond-T-980

Regards

Ed

Edited by Edd

Mike, Bob and Ed,

Thank you for your replies.

Bob, your photos of your Dad are great. Although my Father in Law spoke to me a lot about his days of National Service, I no longer can ask him where photos were taken. I know where his travels took him from a country point of view, but not exact locations. I was always pumping him for info on his exploits, but only found these photos after he passed away. I know he was at Port Said, Tobruk, and Tripoli, but where these fit in to the pictures, I don't know.

Ed, thank you for pointing me in the right direction with the hitch and thanks Mike for indentifying the motorcycle.

Lastly, the only other photos I've found so far of life in the RE's in the Middle East

al15_zpseb2ce60a.jpg

al12_zps0a9eda33.jpg

al10_zps09b50ca3.jpg

al7_zpsd11e48b9.jpg

scan0001_zpsfad1b07f.jpg

Sadly, I can add no words as to locations of these photos. The last one is of the man himself, our 'Albert'. I actually thin it was taken at Barton Stacey, where he was demobbed, but others in the family think it was in Egypt. His younger brother reckons he has his right hand behind his back to hide a wound. However, he never spoke of one, unless the wound was gained in the NAAFI:-D.

That's all for now and thanks for the comments

Nige

• 3 weeks later...

fantastic pictures Nige, i don`t suppose you have another one of the Diamond T showing its serial numbers.

One day a picture like the ones you posted will feature a vehicle that someone on hmvf now owns.

I`d love to find one of my T,

The hard cab, winch controls in the cab and what looks like the small cutout over the front tow hook got my hopes up for a minute. who knows?

A few years ago, I scanned some photos for my Father in Law, of vehicles he drove and used during his National Service as a Sapper in Egypt & Libya. I know he was involved in bridge building, road repair and airfield construction. I also know that he drove a Diamond T amongst other vehicles and towed some form of large trailer carrying the construction equipment. He recently passed away and while digging through the photos I had of him, I found the scans. I was just wondering what exactly the vehicles were.

When he finished NS, he failed to retain his licence, which he regretted as he had to retake his test in the 60's and of course only got a car licence from that.

Many thanks for any info on the vehicles.

Nige

Thanks for posting Nigel I enjoyed these pictures, have a look at these on Flickr My Dad was in Palestine the Egypt with the RE. he was a sapper. David.

fantastic pictures Nige, i don`t suppose you have another one of the Diamond T showing its serial numbers.

One day a picture like the ones you posted will feature a vehicle that someone on hmvf now owns.

I`d love to find one of my T,

The hard cab, winch controls in the cab and what looks like the small cutout over the front tow hook got my hopes up for a minute. who knows?

Dave,

Those are the only pics I've found. I'll have a further dig around when I'm next at my Mother in Laws.

Nige

Thanks for posting Nigel I enjoyed these pictures, have a look at these on Flickr My Dad was in Palestine the Egypt with the RE. he was a sapper. David.

Some similar poses with mine. I think my Father in Law was out there in 1948.

Nige

Great pictures, thanks for sharing. have you read the book "muck shifting for King George"? very interesting read and have many of the same vehicles and equipment in, particularly the road train with the grader dragged behind the trailer, love it:-D

• 2 months later...
Great pictures, thanks for sharing. have you read the book "muck shifting for King George"? very interesting read and have many of the same vehicles and equipment in, particularly the road train with the grader dragged behind the trailer, love it:-D

No I have not heard of it, off to google it now, sorry only just found your reply David.