Run in with police when returning from MOT with no tax or number plates

Just to say , i thought it was bound to happen , driving a vehicle with no number plates or tax just to get it MOTed before VOSA will issue you with a Registration number , and it did .

Got pulled over by the police , and had to spend 20 minutes in back of police car explaining , then they wanted to see all my driving licences etc and actually followed me home , had to produce my passport , driving licence and all the documents from MOD ? They didnt charge me but wants nmme to update my old paper licence to a new PHOTO id plastic one and will be round in 2 weeks to check ive done it ?

all good fun . anyone else had similar troubles .

It wasnt expired , but did have my old address on there ,that i didnt think to update when i moved house . the Copper was a New Zealander and was quite keen , just doing his job i guess .

It Annoys me that VOSA cant come up with common sense and issue Number plates up front , this would benefit the police more .

Just to say , i thought it was bound to happen , driving a vehicle with no number plates or tax just to get it MOTed before VOSA will issue you with a Registration number , and it did .

Got pulled over by the police , and had to spend 20 minutes in back of police car explaining , then they wanted to see all my driving licences etc and actually followed me home , had to produce my passport , driving licence and all the documents from MOD ? They didnt charge me but wants nmme to update my old paper licence to a new PHOTO id plastic one and will be round in 2 weeks to check ive done it ?

all good fun . anyone else had similar troubles .

I have driven my vehicle to VOSA as well but I took all the documents with me just in case I was 'pulled'. For once I was organised typically know one batted an eyelid. I thought the paper licence was still legal and I cannot see it taking two weeks to change the licence over to the new photo version. My first photo licence has run out and I think we both had to pay to have it renewed and it only lasts ten years. Make sure if you do apply that you makesure that all you're categories pass onto you're new licence (check the application form). Also when the licence runs out you can be fined for not renewing it!! Joy

It wasnt expired , but did have my old address on there ,that i didnt think to update when i moved house . the Copper was a New Zealander and was quite keen , just doing his job i guess .

It Annoys me that VOSA cant come up with common sense and issue Number plates up front , this would benefit the police more .

Ah they have you then I think its free when you change address it was ten years ago. Yep the numberplate thing is an issue

The vehicle was booked in and fully insured on the chassis number , i also had all the stuff from Vosa with me in case , i think it was more the New Zealand seargent not totally convinced of our bizzare system of registering military vehicles , he was ok about it in end but not totally happy about it all , im sure he will go and check , especially as i told him i will be doing it again soon with my RB44 . lol :shocked:

You can change your address on your driving license online now using the government's site and that way you shouldn't loose any entitlements takes a bit of setting up but would make it easier for future bits, does mean 'they' have all your info which worries a few people. Not sure if you can do it easily from a paper one though.

Thank you for submitting your driving licence application online.

In order for DVLA to complete your application, it requires you to do one more thing.

You must send some information to DVLA.

You will receive an application completion form in the post - please allow 1 week for delivery. Please complete this form and return it to DVLA so that your driving licence application can be submitted for validation checks.

Your driving licence is an official document and all applications are subject to DVLA's identity checking system.

Once DVLA has received your form it will be able to carry out the necessary checks and deal with your application as soon as possible.

Please cut your old driving licence into two and return it to:

DVLA, Swansea SA99 1ZW

well thats not really associated with the reason for the pull over , just the police being pendantic over details . it will also be wrong again soon , as i will be selling the house after restoraton work this year and spending time overseas , then who knows where , so in reality a fixed address doesnt work for me .

Justto say , i thought it was bound to happen , driving a vehicle with no numberplates or tax just to get it MOTed before DVLA will issue you with a Registration number , and it did

I cant comment regarding the driving license issue.

But here in Kent, the DVLA are taking a hard line on driving unregisteredvehicles on the road.

They insist that the vehicle is trailered to the MOT Station to obtain its ticket and is also trailered to the local DVLA office for its inspection prior to giving an age related/new number etc.

see the attached notes which came with the numberplate application paperwork.DVLA paperwork.jpg

I phoned them on the issue and was informed that if caught on the highway while obtaining the MOT or traveling to or from the vehicle inspection, they would request the police to prosecute and also cancel all applications without a refund offees!

With regards to renewing the license - a number of sources recently recommended that you take a photocopy of the original license and take that to your local police station to get the desk officer to countersign it in regard to your groups as DVLA's computer system seems to be removing groups from licenses during the renewal process.

I know I lost my "H" and "D" (now "A") groups when they pulled my HGV and PSV groups due to epilepsy - and the official DVLA stance is if you want them back after they issue a new license without any proof that they accept then you have to go and take the test again - which can be rather expensive.

With regards to renewing the license - a number of sources recently recommended that you take a photocopy of the original license and take that to your local police station to get the desk officer to countersign it in regard to your groups as DVLA's computer system seems to be removing groups from licenses during the renewal process.

I know I lost my "H" and "D" (now "A") groups when they pulled my HGV and PSV groups due to epilepsy - and the official DVLA stance is if you want them back after they issue a new license without any proof that they accept then you have to go and take the test again - which can be rather expensive.

Why not just say you have mislaid/lost your license, then if the replacement arrives without your groups, you can magically find your old one as proof?

well thats not really associated with the reason for the pull over , just the police being pendantic over details . it will also be wrong again soon , as i will be selling the house after restoraton work this year and spending time overseas , then who knows where , so in reality a fixed address doesnt work for me .

Dare I say, I am really quite impressed with the Government Gateway site. Once you register (for self assessment etc) renewing a photo licence is a piece of cake. When I changed address, they had the licence back to me within 2 or 3 days....and they do make it really easy.

As long as you can be contacted through the address given, then you do not have to live there. Parents address etc is fine.

As long as you can be contacted through the address given, then you do not have to live there. Parents address etc is fine.

thats what i have , he was more concerned i had a photo ID ? maybe he thought i was a terrorist ?? . it was funny seeing them approach the vehicle very cagedly mind with hand torches flikering everywhere . :shocked: