Run in with police when returning from MOT with no tax or number plates

I cant comment regarding the driving license issue.

But here in Kent, the DVLA are taking a hard line on driving unregisteredvehicles on the road.

They insist that the vehicle is trailered to the MOT Station to obtain its ticket and is also trailered to the local DVLA office for its inspection prior to giving an age related/new number etc.

see the attached notes which came with the numberplate application paperwork.[ATTACH=CONFIG]70891[/ATTACH]

I phoned them on the issue and was informed that if caught on the highway while obtaining the MOT or traveling to or from the vehicle inspection, they would request the police to prosecute and also cancel all applications without a refund offees!

If you read the notes, they are refering to taking it to be inspected by the DVLA at an LVLO, or approved site, not driving to an M.O.T.

Almost daily I drive cars to, and occasionally from, a garage with no M.O.T. test which is totally legal. As far as I know for transfer of number plates both vehicles require a current M.O.T., so I can't think of a reason to take a vehicle to the DVLA without a valid certificate.

When my brother first registered our Militant, he had to test it first, then drive it un-registered into the LVLO close to the centre of Brighton. No problems apart from blowing a coolant pipe on the way back!

Jules

If you read the notes, they are referring totaking it to be inspected by the DVLA at an LVLO, or approved site, not drivingto an M.O.T.

Indeed but when phoned to check the MOT station visit, I was informed veryclearly. That an unregistered vehicle must not travel on the public highwayeither to an MOT station or DVLA office. I said that I could obtain some tradeplates and was also told that this was also not acceptable. It must be transported 'wheelsoffthe ground'.

Almost daily I drive cars to, and occasionally from, a garage with noM.O.T. test which is totally legal. As far as I know for transfer of numberplates both vehicles require a current M.O.T., so I can't think of a reason totake a vehicle to the DVLA without a valid certificate.

Im assuming that the vehicles you are driving are already registered which Iagree is Ok. Im no expert just telling you what DVLA kent have told meregarding unregistered vehicles.

When my brother first registered our Militant, he had to test it first,then drive it un-registered into the LVLO close to the centre of Brighton. Noproblems apart from blowing a coolant pipe on the way back!

Perhaps Sussex DVLA have a different policy to kent in Feb 2012, but as you will see fromthe paperwork, driving the Militant to the local DVLA office (if in kent) wouldhave got him in trouble.

Dont shoot the messenger.:-)

I remember being told by the Maidstone licencing office that I could drive an unregistered vehicle for its MoT, providing an appointment is made with its chassis number. I enquired with my insurance comapny and they said they would insure it on the chassis number until such time as the reg no. was issued. Perhaps situation has changed. i cannot see that DVLA area offices have different policies, more like their own interpretation.

I hope (but am not holding my breath) that this is simply some confusion on the part of the local DVLLA officials. I can't help feeling the are different rules for inspections connected with retaining or transferring registrations as these are often on vehicles which are not on the road and quite possibly not fit to use - compare with a vehicle someone has prepared for road use and wants to get a registration.

Certainly it would be good to have a definitive view.

It is fact now however that when registering a vehicle not made in the UK for the first time one has to demonstrate that import duty / VAT has been paid or the registration process cannot proceed. Until you pay it I guess! More forms I'm afraid! So now the applicant has to be the agent of HM Customs and Excise, and DVLA are the policing function for HMC&E. Not just that, but in some cases it will be impossible as in the case of vehicles made outside the EU evidence will only be accepted from the manufacturer.

I really don't know what is going on in this country. Yes I understand we are bankrupt - although we kept being told we are not (yet) - but why are we suddenly faced with all these extra hurdles?

Anyone else agree that we've certainly seen the best years in this hobby? :cool2:

Edited by N.O.S.

OK OK I underhand that this is all designed to combat fraud and raise legitimate income, but sadly we all get caught up in the net - and get treated as gulity unless we can prove otherwise? There is no help unless you get a sympathetic agent to deal with.

Guess we should acknowledge that (up until now at least) we have been EXTREMELY fortunate to have been able to run these old vehicles on the roads. Times they are a changing........

I remember being told by the Maidstone licencing office that I could drive an unregistered vehicle for its MoT, providing an appointment is made with its chassis number. I enquired with my insurance comapny and they said they would insure it on the chassis number until such time as the reg no. was issued. Perhaps situation has changed. i cannot see that DVLA area offices have different policies, more like their own interpretation.

Absolutely correct

Insure on chassis number and then drive to pre booked MOT

Only though if the vehicle has never been registered in the UK