my Bedford Ql which arrived today.

Billruston

• Replies 79
  • Created
  • Last Reply

Top Posters In This Topic

Thanks guy I'll get some more pics on tomorrow, the shame is that the chassis got lengthened by one foot for the body which is on now, but that's not a problem cut the chassis back to how they was and get the prop shaft re-balanced

Bill.

Be careful Bill with your chassis, most of thees models had a bolted on chassis extension on the back.

Just have good look and see if you can find the right information before you start cutting in the chassis rails:nono:

I will post some pictures of the bolted on chassis extension that I took of the office box.

Guy

We cut the body of today wich was a 5 minute job, ive took some pics im sorry the lorrys looks all doll its this crappy weather!! driving me mad, the only rot i can find is the window brackets and grill, still on the hunt to find some, im suprrisingly shocked, on my Austin k9 there was alot of welding that was needed, this is an 70 year old lorry and so far i can only find the bits that i have said, very happy! ive sheeted her up from cab to the end of the chassis till after christmass, then after i will start to build my workshop to keep her dry and restore her! p.s. can any one tell me why she has to petrol tanks?.

ll :).

We cut the body of today wich was a 5 minute job, ive took some pics im sorry the lorrys looks all doll its this crappy weather!! driving me mad, the only rot i can find is the window brackets and grill, still on the hunt to find some, im suprrisingly shocked, on my Austin k9 there was alot of welding that was needed, this is an 70 year old lorry and so far i can only find the bits that i have said, very happy! ive sheeted her up from cab to the end of the chassis till after christmass, then after i will start to build my workshop to keep her dry and restore her! p.s. can any one tell me why she has to petrol tanks?.

ll :).

Hi Bill,

It looks as though the chassis has been lengthened, between the axles and I think that I can see some bolts in the chassis between tank and cab, is there a piece been let in there? The front propshaft looks longer. The reason some QL's have two tanks was that the bodies were right up to the rear of the cab, there fore the standard tank and wheel carrier on a QLD cargo could not be used and twin side tanks were used on certain models. That brass palte is a postwar fitment giving the post-1948 army number at the top. This might be traceable at the RLC Museum, Deepcut. The chassis number on the plate does not point out what body type was fitted, you will find the chassis number stamped on the passenger side of chassis just behind the cab, on vertical face. It will start, QL, then next letter could be D, R, C, depending on the version.

Richard

Hi snort I need 17 or 18 foot lengths mate!! Haha

Thanks rich for the info will look for it when I'm next at are yard, it's a shame about the chassis but it's not a lot of work to cut back, just a shame, sorry about the pictures believe me the ql does look better :wow: it's justly phone and the s*** (British) weather

:D bill.

I was wondering if it was an adapted QLW Tipper chassis as they were split and bolted together, could have had some sections inserted. They had a short overhang behind rear spring hangers. My handbook for the tipper is not to hand at present, but your late airportable cab is another clue. They did have a mid mounted winch, but that could have been removed. Difficult to say from photos, without having a nosey around it. There is a number on the brass plate, where it says Contract, difficult to read but longer than a wartime contract number.

Hi Bill, Now it is clear that the chassis is longer than a original chassis.I just post the pictures of the extension that was used to extend a QL chassis at the back of a QLT with the spare wheel carrier attached on these extensions.

If you are in need of thees parts just let my know outer ways thees bits go for scrap!

IMG_0758.jpg

Rear chassis extension.

IMG_0759.jpg

Spare wheel carrier.

It is not such a big deal to remove the cabin, on my project made a start to remove al the bolted on parts from the cabin.

Al the parts in the cabin, engine cover, driver and passenger floor boards and section under instruments. With these bits out of the way you can reach the radiator connections before removal of the radiator.

Then on the outside the doors, wheel arches, front radiator cover,windscreens and you can also take off the roof section.

The cabin is bolted to the chassis on the two front corners, and one on the rear of the cabin (you will find the two front corner bolts after removal of the radiator cover) .

Also have a look if there are now more electrical connections ( normally only 1 electrical connection in the driver side wheel arch) and earth leads between cabin and chassis.

It is really so easy to remove the cabin!;)