my Bedford Ql which arrived today.

Billruston

• Replies 79
  • Created
  • Last Reply

Top Posters In This Topic

if any one could help me with a few things? she has 2 petrol tanks either side? they look original and have all the army writing to go with it all?

as far as we have looked there is no rot att all in the bab acept the window frames and the grill.

its been in a barn for more than 15 years, its really original when it got bought out the army she just had a farm body chucked on (which is comming off tomorrow) and only worked twice a year and was barn stored for the rest. all in all its reallly original, weve had the engine turning but no dowt it will start.

im an oficial Bedford Ql owner

regards bill :).

Super bill, welcome in the QL club. As I can see on the pictures it must have been a QLT (troop) model are a QLC (chassis). And if I can see well on your pictures it is a late model with the right hand side cabin removable section for air portable (just under the right hand windscreen).

Just have a look on the back of your chassis if it have the bolted on extensions, if so it is surely a ex trooper.

Is it possible that the floor on your cattle body is still the original floor?

What is your plan for the rear section?

Guy

Hi I'm hoping the runners of the floor could be the old original ones? If it's a troop carrier, that means it would of been a tilt body (canvas)? I'm going to take the body of today, what's the cab like to take of? Once my workshops up I'm hoping to start properly on her, and how do people find out the history of these old ww2 vehichles can any one tell me why there's 2 petrol tanks? The 2 back wheels are sand tiers? Surely you wouldn't of drove them around in England? If it must of been a horrible drive :-\

If anyone could find the history out and what model would she is would be great I have the original number plates andthe little brass plate is still on the side of the chassis.

Bill.

Wow. 2012 and 'fresh' WW2 vehicles still turn up! Congratulations Bill, a great find. Another wartime Bedford in captivity can only be a good thing. And another fascinating restoration blog to follow;). From experience, you will find out all you need to know from the experts on this forum. My guess is Mr Farrant will be along shortly.

Wow. 2012 and 'fresh' WW2 vehicles still turn up! Congratulations Bill, a great find. Another wartime Bedford in captivity can only be a good thing. And another fascinating restoration blog to follow;). From experience, you will find out all you need to know from the experts on this forum. My guess is Mr Farrant will be along shortly.

I have been watching ..... ;) Don't think that is a cattle body, no ventilation on the sides, looks like it has some sort of spreader attachment at the rear. Hope it is not a cattle body as there will be a lot of corrosion, you should have seen an Austin K6 that I cut up, it had been used for that purpose for years.

Hello Bill, On my QL there are some data plates just in front of the steering wheel. One data plate has the chassis number on it and type, my lorry has QLR on it and this is the indication that it was fitted with a radio box.

The two petrol tanks with switch over tap on your QL are original mountings for a QLT (troop carrier) are QLC (chassis) these had sometimes a office body on the chassis.

The picture is of a QLC post war modification on the floor of a QLT. This truck is still fore sale not so far from where I live.

IMG_0170.jpg

If you have a look under the chassis there still may be the extra dynamo with the lever for it in the cabin (3° lever is the one for the extra dynamo) if it was a office box, if not it is almost sure you have a trooper.

IMG_0171.jpg

IMG_0173.jpg

If you need the spare wheel carrier on the rear of the chassis then I still have one for free that I took of the rear section!

Guy

IMG_1384.jpg

IMG_0169.jpg

She looks great ! .. seeing the size of that body ?...and the fact that you say you were told she was only used once or so a year??..then I'd hazard a guess that she'd been modified for transporting Silage?....In the picture taken in the barn...I can see at the top of the bed on the 'off side'?...that side appears higher than the other with a 'trap board' rigged to trap the Silage as it 'blows' in from the forage harvester........either that or harvesting of some sorts anyways ...grain maybe ???

either way, what a find ! Looking forward to seeing her come back together :-D

Edited by RattlesnakeBob

Hi Ajmac, I have all the original number plates and brass tab on the chassis.

Thanks every one I'll try my best to get her on the road, I'll only start on her when my workshops up tho, shouldn't be long tho.

Thanks for the welcome tho every one :cheesy:

I've been under the chassis and there is not any corrosion it looks like the ql would drive by the side of a tractor over the fields and she tractor would shoot the grain or what ever it was picking up in the back of the ql, the floors a moving floor,

I've sheeted the cab up and Monday I will hopefully cut the body of Monday

Bill :)

Yes , that is the one I saw at Hunston, pretty sure it was for grain when I looked at it but didn't go further than the front view (as that wasn't what I was there for) However I thought it was in great nick and was very surprised to see it there. I was my intention to find out more over this holiday. I am glad its gone to a good home and look forward to following its progress and maybe seeing it on the Show scene soon. all the best

I have a spare head, gear box, to wheels, a box full of engine spares, head gaskets, sump, a spring and loads of little hard to find bits.

I'm over the moon with buying this old Ql and when I get down to restoring her I'll need all you lots help ;)

If the weather ain't pooring down tomorrow I'll take the body of which would make her look a million times better.

Bill :).