Museum Historian, David Fletcher retires

bovtm_df_retires.jpg

Renowned military historian David Fletcher has retired after 30 years’ service at The Tank Museum.

David, who was awarded an MBE in the Queen’s 2012 honours list, had already spent many years researching the history of armoured warfare at The Tank Museum before he joined the staff in 1982.

bovtm_df_queen.jpgHe first visited the Museum in the 1960’s at a time when there was very little published work on the subject. Motivated by his own fascination in the Museum’s collection, David spent hours researching and examining artefacts and documents held in the Museum to become the world’s leading armoured warfare expert.

Now the longest serving Museum employee, David has over 30 books, hundreds of magazine articles and numerous television documentary appearances to his name. He remains in demand as a speaker, particularly on his favoured subject - British Tanks of World War One. Following the success of the Haynes published “Tiger Tank - Owners Workshop Manual” he co-authored, he is presently working on another collaboration to produce a manual for the British Mark IV tank.

Right: Dressed as a WWI tank crewman, David Fletcher (second from right) was presented to Her Majesty when a contingent from The Tank Museum took the Mk V tank to Germany for the Royal Tank Regiment Standards Parade in 1985.

Tank Museum spokesman Nik Wyness said; “David’s impressive body of work will have touched anyone who has ever visited The Tank Museum or read a book or magazine that deals with the history of the tank.

“He is without question a leading light in the field and his work has made the subject accessible to people around the world. That there are very few self-taught enthusiasts, who can claim to be genuine, globally recognised experts in their field makes David’s achievements even more impressive,” said Nik “There are even fewer that are as well respected and well liked as he is.”

David says he intends to spend his retirement writing and hiking, but he is not severing his ties with the Museum he has contributed so much to. He plans to continue his research with one eye on the approaching centenary of World War One and the tank itself.

Nik added; “David is irreplaceable, and The Tank Museum is fortunate to have had someone as passionate and knowledgeable within its ranks for so long. We all wish him well in his retirement and hope he visits often.”

In all my dealings with David I have found him to be a most helpful chap & has always behaved with good humour.

His depth & width of knowledge made him a particularly good commentator. This was particularly noticeable at the MV arena displays at the Great Dorset Steam Fair. Vehicles of various types would enter the the arena in a haphazard & non-chronologic fashion, yet David would succeed in a weaving a coherent & sometimes amusing story about the development of all of these vehicles. To the audience it might seem that it was all carefully scripted & rehearsed but it was just spontaneous & enthusiastic knowledge for which David is renowned.

Now that the retirement age has been removed I am surprised that David would retire from something he loved so much, I only had dealings with him twice, one associated with the Loyd a couple of years ago. The other was back in 1993, when I did a project at school to design an extension to the museum for restoration work! Nearly 20 years later they did just that! Little bit better than my GCSE design mind you:-D On both occasions he helped out more than I could have hoped for.

• 2 weeks later...

I known David for 30 year when he started to come a long in the museum radio truck to show, selling manuals and telling about trips the with WWI tanks, they had made.

He was an elaborate story teller with lots of passion for heavy metal. They will not easily find a second one, that is for sure. Hope he still pops up so now an than on shows

Enjoy the time David many year in Good health, wishing you a wonderful 2013

Peter Hommes