British Jeeps and 'Humber' side screens

thedawnpatrol

Hi All

I know these exist, indeed i have a rough set dated 1945, the rear section is windowless and the 'doors' are glazed with that plexi glass, but look as if they are designed to fold down, rather than swing open like the modern replacements of these days.

My question is, what evidence is there of these actually being used on British jeeps in ww2 ? and if so, as the set i have are a brown/khaki colour, and presuamably the US jeeps imported to this country for us to use, came with US top canvas which is much darker in colour, there would have been a distinctive differance in colours ?

What can anyone tell us about the US/British canvas provided for British Jeeps ?

Any photographs would help too.

Cheers

Jules

Hi All

I know these exist, indeed i have a rough set dated 1945, the rear section is windowless and the 'doors' are glazed with that plexi glass, but look as if they are designed to fold down, rather than swing open like the modern replacements of these days.

My question is, what evidence is there of these actually being used on British jeeps in ww2 ? and if so, as the set i have are a brown/khaki colour, and presuamably the US jeeps imported to this country for us to use, came with US top canvas which is much darker in colour, there would have been a distinctive differance in colours ?

What can anyone tell us about the US/British canvas provided for British Jeeps ?

Any photographs would help too.

Cheers

Jules

Jules

get yourself a copy of 'the wartime jeep 1941 to 1945 in British service' by Gavin Birch ISBN 0-9534470-9-X lots of photos in here of the Humber side screens is use.

I had a set years ago and they were a liability then let alone in modern traffic. They are designed to hinge outwards using the windscreen pillar lift dots as the hinge point........horrible things, my advice to is to keep them in your garage as a curiosity and don't use them.

Pete

Jules

........horrible things, my advice to is to keep them in your garage as a curiosity and don't use them.

Pete

Julian - I'm with Pete on this. I've got a set in the barn. I have a rooted objection to being so enclosed.

On the other hand if I were going to drive to the Ardennes in winter again.....

David.

are the ones you have a brown colour ? were they all made by Humber ? and did Humber make the main Hoods as well ?

Jules

Yes - in brown. I've only ever seen the doors and screens. I would have imagined that a British maker would have eventually made hoods though,if only after the war when US supplies dried up.

without getting too deep into this...................

how does anyone explain that the Humber sides are fitted with popper studs for attachment to the hood, while the US hoods are fitted with the turn tab type fitting ? why were they not compatable ?

Richard, thank you for the 'as fitted' picture.

I bought a really rough set from Dallas dig out the other week, only a fiver, they will make good patterns to get some made though.

however, after seeing several of your comments about having them but not using, would i be better trying to buy an original useable set ?

Jules

however, after seeing several of your comments about having them but not using, would i be better trying to buy an original useable set ?

What I read is "don't use them", so the fiver spent on a conversation piece in your garage is money well spent :-D

Before the collective wisdom caught up, in Holland these were labelled as being a Norwegian design and many were chucked out in favour of "orignal American" sets :banghead:

Jules,

The jeep shown, was ex-British Army (with an interesting history after demob, that's another story) and it still had some of the original footman loops for the web straps, so side screens had been fitted in service at some point.

The jeep in the workshop at the moment is ex British army and it also has the footman loops at 45' by the door openings and the turn buckle at the front to take British side screens.

One thing for sure.......... they are coming off and the holes are getting welded shut......... too much of a liability in modern traffic also I could never keep the damn things done up tight when I had a set always working lose and flapping about like a demented carrier bag.

If you want to use side screens go to one of the canvass suppliers and get a set that fit properly and provide some semblance of visibility.

Pete

Thanks Chaps, well if all this has not put me off trying a set then...........................

perhaps as mcspool says, they will look good on the workshop wall !!, though i might just fit the back sections if i can find a reasonable pair.

i don't think i will be going to my Canvas maker to get him to copy my ones, he won't be cheep and after all you have said, a waste of money.

Jules