Calling all Jimmy owners..........

Jack

Guys - is there anyway/where we owners can get together and get an answer on what our GMC's do to the Gallon.

I was thinking along the lines of doing something scientific like all of us put one gallon in our tanks and then we all drive off and then see who runs out where and then measure it.

Any thoughts?

Cheers

Jack.

Praps a better variation would be syphon a gallon into a jerrycan and take a line from the can to the pump as running your tank empty will drain your lines and no doubt dredge up the bits of crud from the bottom of your tank & bugger up the filters... just a thought

Fill your tank to the top,drive around for about 15 miles then return to the petrol station and refill,you'll be able to tell what it's cost and how much you've used to travel 15 miles.

Mind you it's an expensive exercise when a Jimmy tank holds about 50 gallons :roll: :schocked: But a least you'll be able to drive to the Midlands to meet up with all of us Brummies :-D :-D

SCRAP all Jimyy's, thats my suggetion they are too old anyway and a waste of fuel :evil:

Sorry but the above will be removed as that is highly offence to a superior truck and to superior owners and drivers.

Have owned 5 Jimmy's and a Dukw since about 1991, short, long, hard, soft and the last one, pictured to the left with a maxson turret and 4 x .50 cals in the back!

I always worked on a average of 7-8 mpg, but more like 5-6 with the Dukw - that was a heavy old girl to haul around on a standard GMC 270 engine, particularly when it came to the hills of Wiltshire!

I could never really tell much difference with the trucks with or without a Ben Hur Trailer on the back. But seriously, it does make a difference where you live. Since I have been in the Suffolk flatlands, my Dodge WC-56 does loads more mpg than when it was in Wiltshire, but then again, within 1/2 mile of leaving the house I'm in top gear and don't change down again until I get home!

Where you live Jack at the bottom of that valley, I think you better enquire about some sponsorship from Shell.... :-o

Cds

we started in stonehouse in glos'shire & drove to Beltring-did the red ball run & drove home again. we started with a full tank & put 1 jerry can in when we got to Beltring but still had fuel left when we got home, which was enough to get us to another show.we didn't really need to add the jerry can but was the first time we did the journey so thought we would be cautious.

i though we did fantastic

Berni

• 2 weeks later...

I figured it did about 10-12mpg.

May the debate continue...

I am pretty much agree with you there Mick, I also would say that it also depends on what speed you are travelling at ?!

Anything above 32 mph and my old girl starts to let you know that she ain't happy. As Clive said, I also live in an area full of the flipping hills and that would be no why I would even think about coasting a truck down a hill :-o

Talking about costing down the hills, that has got me thinking.

One day when I've got the time I will tell you the story of when I completely lost the brakes on my DUKW coming down the long, steep hill in to Marlborough on the A4 from Hungerford.

Now that was seriously scary and the old GMC 270 engine up-front was never the same again :cry:

Cds

• 5 months later...

I ve checked my milage when I first acquired my 1944 CCKW 353h-1 at 5mpg given average road speeds 30 to 45 mph and terrain . of course I have a heavy Jimmy even when empty as its a airborne tipper with winch with an added ring mount .Those good old days of 1 dollar or 1.25 per U.S. gallon , as the price is now 2.56 today to 3.50 recently .Which is I know far less than the estimated almost 10.00 per gallon you are paying across the Pond

Right Degsy I am having a word with Jack about you snitching like that :oops:

I did not mean it really :whistle:

Oh dear, will I be on the (pink) carpet or will it be the pink whip :help:

Mark, strange what you find when you look back through a topic :schocked: :-D

Great work Degsy - you might have just earned a medal for that. I reckon the boy will have some explaining to do............