FV436 Green Archer...yes or no

RecyMech

Af,noon chaps,

Currently in a discussion with a bloke about FV436 Green Archer. I've found a picture with one wearing the VRN 03DA19 (obscured slightly). The publication in question says FV436 was in service 1962 to 1973.....other chap says it never entered service at all.

Can anyone confirm or deny for sure either way please ?....anyone serve on them / with them / or saw them in service proper.

Thanks.......H

As I understand it Green Archer was the Radar unit usually towed by 2 Humber trucks, 1 for the generator, one for the radar unit. This was in service from '62 to '75. FV436 was only produced as a prototype and never saw service.

The designation "FV436" has been used on a number of different FV430 variants including Green Archer (prototype only), Cymbeline and the Armoured Staff Command Vehicle. And there's probably Wavell in there somewhere as well. So when someone says that "FV436 was in service from X to Y" make sure they're talking about the right FV436! :-0

Andy

Thanks Degsy.......is that a definate then ? "FV436 never saw service" ?

I know the trailered radar itself was used, its just this business about FV436. I've since found a 1973 Profile Publications pamphlet (Christopher F Foss) on 432 series which gives a good description of FV436 with Green Archer & it speaks very much in the 'present tense', giving the impression anyway that it was actually in service at the time of writing.

I suppose if no one pipes up that they did see it in service then its game over. Would it have had a VRN if it was experimental only ? (03DA19)

Thanks Freddy, yes, I'd read they mounted it on M113s, although I had not seen one till your pictures.

I have pictures of the actual FV436 in question with Green Archer fitted. Just the matter of was FV436 actually accepted for service.

Anyone else lads ?

Cheers......H

Yes Good point Andy.......& that very point is what started the friendly argument. The chap in question served on a much later FV436 comms vehicle.

But the clincher will be when someone pops up & says "yeah I served on/saw FV436 with Green Archer"...or not as the case maybe.:D

Good job I did`nt put any money on it, cause I'm not winning yet:cry::cry:

H

Thanks Degsy.......is that a definate then ? "FV436 never saw service" ?

I know the trailered radar itself was used, its just this business about FV436. I've since found a 1973 Profile Publications pamphlet (Christopher F Foss) on 432 series which gives a good description of FV436 with Green Archer & it speaks very much in the 'present tense', giving the impression anyway that it was actually in service at the time of writing.

I suppose if no one pipes up that they did see it in service then its game over. Would it have had a VRN if it was experimental only ? (03DA19)

Thanks Freddy, yes, I'd read they mounted it on M113s, although I had not seen one till your pictures.

I have pictures of the actual FV436 in question with Green Archer fitted. Just the matter of was FV436 actually accepted for service.

Anyone else lads ?

Cheers......H

Having Googled it all I can find says it was a prototype only and 03DA19 was it's VRN. I'm pretty sure Clive knows chapter and verse on Green Archer so perhaps he will be able to confirm this.

Having Googled it all I can find says it was a prototype only and 03DA19 was it's VRN. I'm pretty sure Clive knows chapter and verse on Green Archer so perhaps he will be able to confirm this.

03DA19 and several others immediately before and after this VRN were prototypes of the FV430 series of vehicles.

The first official reference to FV436 I have is in the Equipment Regulations of 1964 which gives it as Carrier, Radar, Full Tracked with the Asset Code 0080.0160

The provisional Green Archer UHB was issued in 1962.

It has, if you will pardon the expression, fallen off the radar by 1970 as it is no longer listed in the RAOC statistics publication of A,B & C vehicles. Although the parts list is still was demandable in the 1974 Catalogue Of Army Publications.

Jane's indicates that Green Archer of its various kinds was obsolescent by 1976. I think this was the basis for Terry Gander in one of his books to say it was used "up to about 1976".

Cymberline only seemed to be regarded as modification to a FV432 rather than a special variant.

I agree with Andy that FV436 surfaced again as an ASV & is listed in a 2003 EMER catalogue & the UHB was published in 1988.