What bits on Cummins engine?

R Cubed

Got some pics of some parts on a Cummins engine ( 6BT ) and wondered if anyone out there could identify what they are.

What is this water temp sender for ? front of engine by thermostat.

IMG_5447 (768 x 576).jpg

Two black steel water pipes run from either side of the thermostat towards the back of the engine, are they cab heater ?

IMG_5439 (768 x 576).jpg

What do the numbers on this engine plate mean, looks like bottom row is 108Kw at 2600 RPM

IMG_5442 (768 x 576).jpg

Air compressor, air in on the right tube and out on the left tube with a pressure relief valve sticking up, is this correct, what is the little black plastic tube for at top of compressor head ?

IMG_5437 (768 x 576).jpg

What is this temp sender at the back of the cylinder head, only one connection on it ?

IMG_5430 (768 x 576).jpg

Injector pump (CAV)

What is the rubber covered unit only 1 cable in it? I think its the stop solenoid? is it powered for engine to run, and remove supply to stop engine ?

What is the small arm with a left bend in it and a dowel sticking up at the end just right of the main throttle leaver ?

IMG_5429 (768 x 576).jpg

What is this vent for on the side of the crankcase, nearside just behind the air compressor/power steering pump? There is also a vent from the side cover panel for the push rods ?

IMG_5438 (768 x 576).jpg

Edited by R Cubed
pictures

I'm seeing my dad this saturday,I will ask him if he can help, he use to work for cummins how old is engine ? and what is the vehicle that it's going in

I think the engine is about 1994 ish, out of a DAF tipper, have not got a vehicle in mind yet :cool2:

Got some pics of some parts on a Cummins engine ( 6BT ) and wondered if anyone out there could identify what they are.

What is this water temp sender for ? front of engine by thermostat. Monitoring water temp? :D

[ATTACH=CONFIG]67898[/ATTACH]

Two black steel water pipes run from either side of the thermostat towards the back of the engine, are they cab heater ? Reckon so!

[ATTACH=CONFIG]67900[/ATTACH]

What do the numbers on this engine plate mean, looks like bottom row is 108Kw at 2600 RPMnd The 6B is badged as a Model 310 for Leyland DAF applications. 108KW is correct.

[ATTACH=CONFIG]67899[/ATTACH]

Air compressor, air in on the right tube and out on the left tube with a pressure relief valve sticking up, is this correct, Yes what is the little black plastic tube for at top of compressor head ? Unloader valve air supply (when air press is at limit it unloads compressor allowing it to run free

[ATTACH=CONFIG]67901[/ATTACH]

What is this temp sender at the back of the cylinder head, only one connection on it ? Absolutely no idea :nut:

[ATTACH=CONFIG]67902[/ATTACH]

Injector pump (CAV)

What is the rubber covered unit only 1 cable in it? I think its the stop solenoid? is it powered for engine to run, and remove supply to stop engine ? Power applied to run :-)

What is the small arm with a left bend in it and a dowel sticking up at the end just right of the main throttle leaver ? Pretty certain that is the mechanical stop lever :-)

[ATTACH=CONFIG]67903[/ATTACH]

What is this vent for on the side of the crankcase, nearside just behind the air compressor/power steering pump? That is usually the oil filler tube :wow:There is also a vent from the side cover panel for the push rods ?

[ATTACH=CONFIG]67904[/ATTACH]

Surely it won't fit the poor old 352!!!!

Edited by N.O.S.

Hi Richard,

There are hundreds and hundreds of variants of this engine but all use essentially the same basic head and block. Variants include fuel pumps (Bosch, CAV, inline/rotary), pistons and rods, compressors, steering pumps, fan locations, idler locations, alternator locations and types, bellhousing diameters, turbo sizes, manifolds, inlet air coolers, sump types etc etc etc.

I recently picked up two 6Bs to combine into the donor for my new WLF. One is from a bus and one from an 18-tonner and they are almost completely different aside from the heads and blocks.

With regard to preparing one as a donor, I would start by stripping yours down to bare basics and block off all unwanted oil and air connections. Depending on what it is to be fitted into, you may require components from other spec. engines to correctly locate the fan etc.

- MG

I agree with Too Tall,

we have that engine in trucks and boats and other applications.

So many variations as to ancillaries. As quoted the basic block and head are the same but that is where the similarity ends.

If you looking for a donor then you are going to have to have the two side by side and swap the bits over as you go.

The injection pump could be different or set up differently.

R

I suspect this is a cubed plot to dieselise something (no donor engine), but I can't work out what at the moment...

I suspect a WLF or similar, I think he fancies a wrecker, perhaps to collect the GMC after Rosie's been driving the souped up version:drive: ..........and before you say anything Rosie remember we saw you driving the car in the mud at A&E, there are pics somewhere:-D

I suspect a WLF or similar, I think he fancies a wrecker, perhaps to collect the GMC after Rosie's been driving the souped up version:drive: ..........and before you say anything Rosie remember we saw you driving the car in the mud at A&E, there are pics somewhere:-D

I only drove there cos you told me to!!!!!

Anyway

IT RUNS!!!!!!!!!!

Well we had a good morning, got some batteries and some diesel, bled the fuel system. We also screwed an oil pressure gauge in place of the broken light switch, sorted out the wiring for the starter and solenoid also checked the stop solenoid was working, that was all ok so went for a start.

First we tried the starter briefly to see if the engine would turn over, ok.

Then we connected the stop solenoid and cranked again had a bit of cough and splutter, ok.

So this time it was a try till it started, with a couple of revolutions it picked up and was running without any throttle, good oil pressure too at tick over the gauge was giving a steady 45 psi, good.

How can I find out the gear ratios for the gearbox which is fitted to it ?

What is this temp sender at the back of the cylinder head, only one connection on it ?

[ATTACH=CONFIG]67902[/ATTACH]

I've had a word with Dad and he thinks this may be a cut out switch that is linked to oil pressure and or possibly temp, so very low oil pressure and it would cut out, and very high temp it would possibly do the same, depending on the model some had a button on the dashboard to press when starting to do with oil pressure, if that's any help or idea?

If it is a ZF gearbox (probably an S5-42 transmission) there will be an aluminium plate with the spread of ratios stamped on it. 5th gear is usually an overdrive ratio of between 0.80 and 0.70.

Well we had a good morning, got some batteries and some diesel, bled the fuel system. We also screwed an oil pressure gauge in place of the broken light switch, sorted out the wiring for the starter and solenoid also checked the stop solenoid was working, that was all ok so went for a start.

First we tried the starter briefly to see if the engine would turn over, ok.

Then we connected the stop solenoid and cranked again had a bit of cough and splutter, ok.

So this time it was a try till it started, with a couple of revolutions it picked up and was running without any throttle, good oil pressure too at tick over the gauge was giving a steady 45 psi, good.

How can I find out the gear ratios for the gearbox which is fitted to it ?

• 4 months later...
Surely it won't fit the poor old 352!!!!

Cummins engine 6BT 150 HP

Air compressor, air in on the right tube and out on the left tube with a pressure relief valve sticking up. Does this run straight to two air tanks via two non return valves or is there a lot more to it, So the little black plastic tube at the top of compressor head is the compressor unloader but where would that connect to ?

[ATTACH=CONFIG]67901[/ATTACH]

Have added some questions

Connects to a Governor Valve. Somewhere near the first air reservoir (on a Bedford it is off the small condensing reservoir between compressor and main air reservoir) there is an air pipe which leads to a governor valve. The valve is usually adjustable to permit adjustment of working air pressure. Once air has built up to working pressure the governor valve opens, admitting air down the black pipe to the compressor unloader valve.

meerkat1.jpg

About that black plastic unloader pipe, it connects into the air system pipe work, not quite sure how but as I understand it, when up to pressure it lifts the valve in the compressors head so it runs light when up to pressure, to save power, fuel and wear.

When I fitted the Cummins into Forceful it was all too complicate to incorporate this, due to confusing the original unloader valve on the air tank, so I just connected the compressor discharge pipe as per original, so now the compressor runs full time like the original and excess air is wasted to atmosphere through the tank valve.

These compressors can produce a lot of carbon which can block the discharge pipes etc. so best to have a look before connecting up.

No problems so far, just my way of doing as fewer mods as possible, keeping it simple..

I have a manual for Cummins L10 engines and many things are similar, if you need a scan of relevant pages just ask.

As to what the output connects into - this is dependent upon what vehicle it goes into (a subject on which you're keeping silent.....), and how much of the air / brake(?) system you intend to design / build. Check out some typical vehicle air system schematics - Bedford Mk/MJ, Scammell Explorer, Diamond T - they're all fundamentally the same.

Hi Richard, just stumbled across your thread, the old Cummins was in a 10 ton Leyland DAF 45-150 on a J plate. It was a tipper spec from new so the gear ratios for that ZF box will be closer ratio.

Thinking there will be a bible for it somewhere in the workshop, if that would be useful, i will try to unearth it.

Hmmmmm what I could do with is a schematic for a Daf 45 with air over hydraulic brake system as this is what the engine was out of, so like you say it would seem sensible to follow the rest of the system.

Bernard yes please if you could scan something it might be of help to expand my knowledge of this airie thing I am about to get involved in.....................

Hi Richard, just stumbled across your thread, the old Cummins was in a 10 ton Leyland DAF 45-150 on a J plate. It was a tipper spec from new so the gear ratios for that ZF box will be closer ratio.

Thinking there will be a bible for it somewhere in the workshop, if that would be useful, i will try to unearth it.

Yes please if you could have a dig around for it that would help I think.

Cheers