A few more CVRT questions...

BRDM Driver

While I have the deck up on the Scorpion, there are a few other oddities I want to check out.

I think my rev counter is ready way low. I can open up the dash panel and check the input signal easy enough, but where does the revs signal come from exactly? I am assuming the distributor, but if there's an electronic ignition, would that provide the rpm signal?

Next question. My Ignition light seems to do the opposite to what I'd expect. It stays off until the revs pic up and then there's a loud clack noise and the light comes on and stays on. I assumed it would come on with the ignition and go off when the rpms pick up?

Last question (for a day or two :D) is there a way to check the operation of the temp and oil warning lights? I'm used to a dash covered in dials on the BRDM!!!! (Oddly enough it doesn't have a rev counter)

Your dash might be different but on mine the red ignition light comes on when you switch, then as the revs pick up, the regulator (big black box in front of you) goes clunk and the red light on the distribution box comes on. This shows the generator is charging so as chris says it is fine. Sometimes it will go out when the revs drop....or at least mine does...

Found a blown fuse, which when replaced made the rev counter read correctly, the ignition light operate correctly (starts on then goes off, not the other way around!) and the oil pressure lamp comes on too!

Temp light is still a mystery at the moment as getting to the sensor means getting the decks off again... I'll check it when I have to lift the deck off at some point.

• 2 years later...
My dash has a switch there but it's labelled trailer flasher..?

I saw the test button in the manual.

Incidentally, when was the warning light pod near the wing mirror introduced? I don't have one on my vehicle.

The warning light pod was removed from vehicles around mid 1984, I remember our new samson was delivered in mid 83 without the pod

The central warning system light pod was not removed and is still fitted to vehicles in service now.

Sorry, think you may have been misinformed, new vehicles entering service in 83 / 84 did not have the light pod fitted, we started removing the light pod from older vehicles in 84, it must have been reintroduced at some stage, but I cannot help with when that was

Regards

Guy

Hi Guy,

I've had 3 Sabres, 2 Spartans, a Scimitar, Sultan and a Sturgeon. Other than the Sultan which was ex-Belgian army all the others were/are fitted with the central warning system light pod and were purchased direct from the MoD between 2004 and 2014.

If the lights were removed in 1983 they were definitely put back on!

Chris

Sorry, think you may have been misinformed, new vehicles entering service in 83 / 84 did not have the light pod fitted, we started removing the light pod from older vehicles in 84, it must have been reintroduced at some stage, but I cannot help with when that was

Regards

Guy

Guy,

I agree with you, my experience of CVR(T) repair work started in early 80's and the light pods did disappear on the fleet. My last work on them while in service was in 1996 and I don't recall them being refitted at that point in time.

regards, Richard

• 4 months later...