foden 8x4 gs chassis no 95000

our foden originaly came into the workshop for a clutch and gearbox change in january,But!!!! a quick investigation of the old girl revealed a lot of metal moths had been at the tin work on the cab hidden by under seal and filler so the decsission was taken to do a full restoration on her as we will be using it as our main transporter.gearbox and clutch was changed first bringing a few minor probs to sort out all done then work started on the cab and other tin work and is still ongoing at this moment in time,mechanicly it is quite sound apart from shocker rubbers and track rod gaiters .this will be my blog of on going work and work done all ready

001.jpg

002.jpg

003.jpg

004.jpg

017.jpg

018.jpg

019.jpg

001.jpg

002.jpg

003.jpg

005.jpg

006.jpg

• 2 weeks later...

thought i,d seen it all but now i have,thought this was just a little cut out and patch in job on drivers door but after removing 6mm of filler we find a plate welded over rust god i hate bodge jobs as the rotten skin underneth has rotted the door frame away

001.jpg

002.jpg

003.jpg

004.jpg

Hi Andy

Having helped out in cutting the rust out of the Landy 110 County 1 Stationwagon I used to own, I can get an impression of the work you are having to put into the size of that machine !!!!!!!!!!! Do you often wonder if the option of swapping to the brand new cab would have been any less work than your cut and paste job here ????????????

Will be looking in on the rust killing from time to time !!!!!!!!!!!!!!!!

Nige

Hi Andy

Having helped out in cutting the rust out of the Landy 110 County 1 Stationwagon I used to own, I can get an impression of the work you are having to put into the size of that machine !!!!!!!!!!! Do you often wonder if the option of swapping to the brand new cab would have been any less work than your cut and paste job here ????????????

Will be looking in on the rust killing from time to time !!!!!!!!!!!!!!!!

Nige

we have found new cabs but sadly left hand drive and very expensive , converting them over will be just as much work as repairing our one

• 3 weeks later...

update on progress,finaly got the drivers side finished and the door skin bottom, a bit more little patching to do on the frame top and on to the next side,work is intermitent on it at moment as we now have our bio-mass generater delived so busy fitting that up for a while

016.jpg

017.jpg

004.jpg

005.jpg

004.jpg

the major point about the restoration is that we are restoring it, partially by rebuilding and by doing this we are showing our skills partially by sourcing new parts where rebuilding is not possible...ie new rubbers and tyres and other engine bits where remanufacture or restoration is not possible...

if you need your MV restored we can do it and the foden is part of the process to show all just what we can do...

I hope to have a fully kitted out new location over the coming months as I am desperately trying to find a new location for the collection and the business. The aim is to have all my 50 plus vehicles under cover within 12 months and to have the collection up to 100 vehicles by the end of next year...we have a lot to do...

we will be needing volunteers next...then a grant from the Lottery fund...and then a new building for them and then we will have a military festival and so on and so forth...I wish...

• 3 weeks later...
  • 1 month later...

update on the foden ,been plugging away on and off in between other work,cab is mostly done now just last of under seal to remove and sandblast the underneath ready for under coats,the hardest job latly has been remaking the cab skirts as some were missing and others rotted out so badly it was hard to use as a pattern but perciviernce pays in the end

002.jpg

003.jpg

004.jpg

005.jpg

• 2 months later...