I have been donated an canvas tarp for a Centurian tank by a retired Colonel_Value?

Rover8FFR

I will take some pictures, but it has the WD benchmark logo.

The Colonel told me it was for a Centurian tank???

I don't have a Tank, but it may be of use to someone?

No idea of value, so advise needed please.

Cheers

Images taken and also the linear tear that is repairable. The Colonel gave me the brass eyelet also for reattachment.

The Bivouac tapers on the sides and also has a flap underneath on the longer edge for weathering / abutment to something I guess.

20120802_175937.jpg

20120802_175944.jpg

20120802_175957.jpg

It's a FV473124 equating to LV6/MT13/26449

Sorry Clive but that means nothing to me....the Colonel donated it for my Humber, but suspect that's not it's best use....

He said they used them on Centurians......That's all I know, but really appreciate the info for thread :-)

Sorry Wayne I haven't got the foggiest idea what it's for. Without checking through a CES document to identify it I cant reference it to a particular vehicle. However it may be used for more than one type of vehicle as the VAOS Section is LV6/MT13, rather than LV1, LV2, LV5, LV9 etc. Although I notice LV45/MT13 was once AFV tentage.

Interestingly the NSC is 2540 - Vehicular furniture & accessories rather than most tentage that is 8340.

Of course the above is just a smoke screen to the fact I dunno :D

Okay and many thanks as always...... The Colonel was a CO of a tank Regt before they merged into another Regt...Think he said 54 tank Regt and he told me used the Bivy on his tanks????

He's given me a Tilley lantern and is routing through his old kit with other surplus he want to pass on! Norgies etc.

Not a bad pay back I guess for providing a car park duty with my army cadets for his summer drinks party....Now he's the High Sheriff....

Oh he also gave me a 1967 canvas water bucket, which I have seen draped off Pink Panthers and the like.....

Interested to see what else he turns up :D Hope the girls are behaving for you in your MT......

Nobody any further thoughts on vehicles this shelter would have been used on or shared with. Clive as always has produced the codes etc, but really curious......

does anyone have any images inservice of a Bivvy attached to a Centurian tank????

Cheers

NSN 2540 99 809 0414 was superseded by 46MT13 8340 99 904 4014 (just re-numbered really) which is described thus:-

COVER ,WATERPROOF SPECIAL LENGTH 18.00 FEET NOMINAL PEAK HEIGHT 12.667 NOMINAL

CANVAS BIVOUAC TANK COVER (5 MEN); SUPPLIED WITH ROPES,TENT PINS AND POLES AND EYELETS ,COTTON

So it looks like it is a tank shelter.

Incidentally the above NSN has been superseded by 46MT13 8340 99 136 1962 which is part of a shelter included in the Challenger 2 CES (Complete Equipment Schedule).

Steve.

A bivvy for a Cent ( in the 1960s at least), was tied to the side of the tank, it never had any poles as mentioned. It had a back, (up against the side of the tank), and a 45 degree sloping roof, and two triangular sides for entrance and exit. I might have a picture somewhere......

Edited by Meteor mark 4B