Beltring 2012 Pix by Snapper

Snapper

• Replies 94
  • Created
  • Last Reply

Top Posters In This Topic

Great pictures very impressed in the breadth of the reenactors that attend W & P, its not my thing but you have to give it to them they do make Beltring for the public. I do like the idea of photographing everything not just the people attending for a hol but also the people who work on site.

Long may the show go on!

Excellent pics, well done. This was my first year at W&P (the first of many I suspect) Consequently I was wandering aimlessly about grinning and missed anything organised or planned.

You have filled in most of the gaps.

Thanks again

This HDR thing on Photoshop allows you to match colours similar to Signal. I also tried to match some of the washed out colours we find in early Kodak and Agfa films (as well known brands) and in some of the lesser known Autochrome processes which are truly beautiful when you see them in their original form. I recently handled The Times shots of King George V making making his 1935 Christmas broadcast, his lying in state in 1936 and King George VI made just after his Accession in 1936 in the autochrome format and the colours are astonishing = even if the royals are not your thing, the pictures have something about them. We do have some military stuff, but the majority was made of British industry - look that one up in your history books kids. You can imagine what the Teeside steelworks of the 1930s looked like in colour just as much as Kent villages...(one of them was.....Beltring...if memory serves). It almost looks hand coloured, but is done with starches and dyes from foodstuffs and so on, We actually scan them back to front because the emulsion process is in reverse to conventional film. It is amazing how this survives, yet twenty-five year old Kodachrome and Ektachrome is deteriorating because the starches which maintain red and yellow do not stand up after this time. I can yap about this stuff for ages and I am only tinkering with my training at work. But it is all important. One day my brain will forget all of it. This is why I write it down. Poor you!

So, get Photoshop or another product with HDR and play with it. You don't need the extremes of gamma and so on - or too heavy on the detail settings. Play with the saturation and the vibrance and you will get truly stunning results. It is fun. I am a learner. It shows. What I want to do now is dig my stuff out going back into the 1990s and see if I can make the pix I wanted look right now which did not look so great then. Watch this space.