Look Mom I'm Famous I'm on the Internet

Grumpy

Hi folks been lurking here for quite a while taking in the atmosphere. A friend (Poptopshed) has just started a thread on here about the clutch change we are doing on a Mk II Stolly so I thought I should introduce myself. I’ve been interested in Military vehicles since I was a lad and grew up around Landrover’s, when my mates were borrowing their fathers Mk 3 Cortina’s, all I had to use was a 2A 88” but never got stuck down those dark country lanes. The bug really bit in about 1995 when I saw an add in auto-trader that was titled “ultimate off road vehicle – and it Swims” I drove down to Bromsgrove with a fist full of money and drove the Mk II back up the M42 to Lichfield and promptly sank it in Chasewater, but that’s another story. The current fleet comprises of:

• Landrover 109 GS
    FV622 Mk II Alvis Stalwart
    FV621 Mk I Alvis Stalwart (1/2 share)
    AEC Mk 3 Militant Recovery
    Tatra 813 Kolos Prime Mover

All need a fair bit of work but we are getting there a bit at a time. Think I have waffled on enough for my first post.

Cheers Scott

welcome Scott and good to see you here and thank you for the introduction. And nice to see another Stolly owner on here :-D

Sorry, that there aren't any biscuits left, someone has nicked them!

Best wishes.

Jack.

Thanks for the welcome chaps - Couple of pictures of the fleet

We were given the 109 by the RAF and it spent 2 years in our yard as a shed until we decided to take it to Billing last year

DSC00468.JPG

Week later and we took it to Billing along with Poptops 109 and two Sankey Widetracks

109.jpg

This is the Tatra as we found it at Avon Dasset

Tatrsasfound.jpg

Hmmm nice V12 17 Litre air cooled diesel

Tatraengine.jpg

Tyres pumped up and ready to be loaded

Tatraload.jpg

On the low loader ready to go to its new home

load2.jpg

Unfortunately we haven't got room in our yard yet so its at a temporay home until we can get rid of some junk to make room for it, Militant backing it in to its temporary parking space

TatraMili.jpg

Mk II Stolly ready to go into the workshop for a clutch change and a bit if a spruce up, we removed the middle wheels to make easier to maneuver with the crane on the Militant

BarnStolly.jpg

and finally the Militant coming to the rescue of a dead 432

Mili.JPG

I,ll bring some Biscuts next time I pop round or would you prefer Cake?

Edited by Marmite!!

why is the militant's crane in yellow?

When it was Demobed in 1988 it went to P&O Ferry Masters in Blackpool who managed to paint everything yellow :? apart from inside the cab which is brilliant white :roll:

Its a slow hard job to get it green again everything is yellow

As the previous owner got it

DSCF1096.JPG

Edited by Marmite!!

Welcome to the Madhouse Grumpy ;-)

Good pic's and a good choice of vehicles

I know someone who will be pleased with your Militant as well as the Tatra as he regrets getting rid of his Militant a couple of years ago.

You will have to get together with Artist Rifles re the clutch change on the Stolly as he is having problems with his clutch at the moment and would be glad of any assistance you could offer.

You will have to get together with Artist Rifles re the clutch change on the Stolly as he is having problems with his clutch at the moment and would be glad of any assistance you could offer.

No problem be glad to be of any assistance to any other big green vehicle freaks, I think I have done most jobs on the Stolly in the 12 years + I have owned her.

Mine has sat for far too long until I helped a friend over the Xmas break to get his to run properly, couple of drives around the block gave me some enthusiasm to get mine sorted.

Main thing I have learned is that no job can be rushed, when you set out to do any work on them just set youself a time target that you will spend on them.

I.E. I'm going to spend 3 hours tonight.

If you set yourself job targets you will more often be disappointed that you couldn't get it done before its dark or you rushed it and didn't do it properly. Step at a time and don't beat yourself up if you don't get a job finished in one go, remember a dog wags the tail not the other way round.

Hi Grumpy

Is the engine in the Tatra the postwar version of the aircooled diesel developed for the Puma armoured car?

It looks very similar and if I didn't know better I would swear it was a Deutz engine. It is in fact made by Tatra and is still manufactured today in the same way. Each cylinder and head is separate and can be removed individually, the crank is in six parts and joins together at the main journals. Its just like six 2 cylinder motorbike engines bolted together. They are available in 4, 6, 8 & 12 cylinder configurations.

Another point that is really cool is the fact they are multifuel and will even run on neat petrol. To run on petrol they are started on ethanol and there is a electric primary fuel pump that is switched on to elevate any petrol steam bubbles in the fuel system. The manual reccomends a maximum of 10,000 km of petrol tho. To run on mix you have a hydrometer to measure the viscosity of the fuel and then set the fuel injection pump timing accordingly via a little lever in the cab. The manual does reccomend that if you are going to run on petrol to chuck a couple of gallon of engine oil or DERV in with each tank refill. :-D

Hi Scott - I'm the other lunatic with a Stalwart on here!! Welcome to the mad-house :-) :-)

As John says - I've got clutch issues right now - it's the master cylinder on mine. It had a new one fromBanisters fitted last March, just before I bought her and the seals have gone already. Only had OM-13 equivalent in the system so I guess it's just bad luck with 30+ year old NOS kit!!!

Neeed to get either another cylinder or - preferably - a repair kit but I'm not having much luck with finding a kit. And just to put the icing on the cake I just managed to put my back out which makes doubling up in the cab a bit on the difficult side. Ah well :-) :-)

Wow, I never realised how BIG those stalwarts actually are! And then you have two :clap:

Anyways welcome to the asylum make yourself at home but do put the toilet seat back down or Mrs Handyferret will deal with you :shake:

Thanks again for the welcome every one

Berni - Yes the Tatra is very funky and you don't see many about

Neil - You might struggle to get any seals as most outlets disposed of seal kits for mineral oil some time ago, technically they shouldn't sell them for road going vehicles as they are not DOT approved for braking systems. If you do find some they will be NOS. If you decide to go for another NOS master cylinder make sure you strip it down, clean and re-grease everything before fitting otherwise you will take the edge off the seals on the first couple of strokes. In fact anything you use that is NOS should be treated the same way as 20 years on the shelf doesn't do them any good. I think I mentioned above that I helped out a friend over Xmas to set his engine up, he had got a NOS distributer still in the box never fitted, but it still took over an hour to dress the points and get the auto advance mechanism working as it should, and thats before the wonderfull task of getting the two sets of points in sync. with each other.

You are faced with two other options, either change both the master cylinder and slave cylinder to conventional seals and use normal brake fluid or just change the master cylinder seals and use synthetic brake fluid as the synthetic fluid is compatable with both types of seals, just make sure you flush out all traces of mineral oil.

Hope your back gets better soon as they are not the easiest of vehicles to work on, I've put on about 4 stone since I have done any serious work on the Stalwart and it certanally makes work hard going - time I went on a diet me thinks :|

Hi and welcome

Looks like your brain is going to get well and truly 'picked' here. Like the photos. Its always good to see them. I hope you enjoy the site.

PS. Jack has got some biscuits, he is just hiding them so as to keep them all for himself. :coffee: And take note of Joris -

welcome to the asylum make yourself at home but do put the toilet seat back down or Mrs Handyferret will deal with you

He's a good boy and at last someone is getting the right idea :-D

What's up with woman and the Neurosis of upright toilet seats anyway?

We men don't complain about having to lift the seat everytime because the wife puts it down everytime.

Can anyone explain properly??? :dunno:

Because if your half asleep and forget, the seat just gets wet, now if your a lass, not only is the porcelain a bit cold on your bum you can also end up wedged down the loo. :roll:

Hi and welcome

Looks like your brain is going to get well and truly 'picked' here. Like the photos. Its always good to see them. I hope you enjoy the site.

PS. Jack has got some biscuits, he is just hiding them so as to keep them all for himself. :coffee: And take note of Joris - He's a good boy and at last someone is getting the right idea :-D

Theres not much to pick these days. As for the biscuits, I'm trying to give them up at the moment, shall we just say I'm a bit on the large side at the moment - now cake thats a diffrent matter :-D

Neil - You might struggle to get any seals as most outlets disposed of seal kits for mineral oil some time ago, technically they shouldn't sell them for road going vehicles as they are not DOT approved for braking systems. If you do find some they will be NOS. If you decide to go for another NOS master cylinder make sure you strip it down, clean and re-grease everything before fitting otherwise you will take the edge off the seals on the first couple of strokes. In fact anything you use that is NOS should be treated the same way as 20 years on the shelf doesn't do them any good. I think I mentioned above that I helped out a friend over Xmas to set his engine up, he had got a NOS distributer still in the box never fitted, but it still took over an hour to dress the points and get the auto advance mechanism working as it should, and thats before the wonderfull task of getting the two sets of points in sync. with each other.

You are faced with two other options, either change both the master cylinder and slave cylinder to conventional seals and use normal brake fluid or just change the master cylinder seals and use synthetic brake fluid as the synthetic fluid is compatable with both types of seals, just make sure you flush out all traces of mineral oil.

Hope your back gets better soon as they are not the easiest of vehicles to work on, I've put on about 4 stone since I have done any serious work on the Stalwart and it certanally makes work hard going - time I went on a diet me thinks :|

Cheers Scott :-) I think I'm going the replacement cylinder route as I want her up and running for the FirePower W/E in Feb. Just got to get the cylinder from Bannisters - £125 + VAT - and as they only take cash or cheque it means either risking the P.O. sending a cheque or trundling down with cash!! Probably the latter given how much post we've '"lost" recently. Richard Notton said the same over on the Yahoo group about stripping the NOS one down and cleaning thoroughly - I'm wondering if the current one was fitted without benefit of such a clean down.... I'm reckoning a weekend should be enough to strip the cab floor out, remove the old cylinder, prime and fit the new one, bleed the system and replace the cab floor

As regards weight - you can't be as bad as me - right now the scales in the gym at work read 21st 6lb after a session :schocked: :schocked:

I seriously need to lose about 7 stone..... :-( Just don't get enough exercise anymore...

As regards weight - you can't be as bad as me - right now the scales in the gym at work read 21st 6lb after a session :schocked: :schocked:

I seriously need to lose about 7 stone..... :-( Just don't get enough exercise anymore...

Know what you mean, I came off the tools about ten years ago and within 6 months I went from 13.5 st to 16 st. Weighed myself last week and I'm a tad under 18st :schocked: bearing in mind I'm only 5' 8". I've never been small but my belly is definitely getting in the way now :|

Cheers Scott :-) I think I'm going the replacement cylinder route as I want her up and running for the FirePower W/E in Feb. Just got to get the cylinder from Bannisters - £125 + VAT - and as they only take cash or cheque it means either risking the P.O. sending a cheque or trundling down with cash!!

Put the cash in a padded envelope and send it recorded delivery. I always do it that way, bit too far to pop down and buy bits!

Chris

Know what you mean, I came off the tools about ten years ago and within 6 months I went from 13.5 st to 16 st. Weighed myself last week and I'm a tad under 18st :schocked: bearing in mind I'm only 5' 8". I've never been small but my belly is definitely getting in the way now :|

Snap - did the same nigh on 30 years ago then got married and got transferred to a desk bound job in short order!! Badly unfit now too as the Dover expedition proved :-( Hopefully clambering in and out of little Maud will help alleviate this :-)

Put the cash in a padded envelope and send it recorded delivery. I always do it that way, bit too far to pop down and buy bits!

Chris

Good idea Chris - will give it a try after ringing bannisters tomorrow for the postage cost on the cylinder. Thanks!!