Normandy - British Sector

44GPW

Hi Guys,

The first two days of our week in Normandy will be spent in the British sector. After docking, we will head for Pegasus and then onto the Merville battery, then after that along the coast road taking in Sword and Juno beaches, whilst heading towards our campsite just east of Bayeux.

My quesion is, does anyone have any suggestions for places to visit along or near that route?

Thanks

Richard

Hi Guys,

The first two days of our week in Normandy will be spent in the British sector. After docking, we will head for Pegasus and then onto the Merville battery, then after that along the coast road taking in Sword and Juno beaches, whilst heading towards our campsite just east of Bayeux.

My quesion is, does anyone have any suggestions for places to visit along or near that route?

Thanks

Richard

Have fun, our paths will probably cross at some point......... I invested in a travel book showing Normandy 1944 and the same areas today, I cant put my hand on the book at the moment, but its well worth investing in one before going over. The book covers loads of points of interest that you would simply pass without realising it was there, full of photographs illustrating the differencies.......... dont forget your breathilizer kit before you go, I believe that its now compulsory.

Just thought Point 103 outside Tilley. That will give a view of one of the hardest fought battles imidiatley after D-Day. There is also Tilly La Compainge the other side of Caen.

Captain DESMOND GLOVER KINGSFORD M C 121551, 3rd Bn., Irish Guards who died age 30 on 10 August 1944

Son of Douglas H. and Margaret M. Kingsford, of Calgary, Alberta, Canada.

Remembered with honour TILLY-SUR-SEULLES WAR CEMETERY

Grave/Memorial Reference: IX. H. 10.

An Olympic athlete buried at Tilly

Edited by Tony B

When you go to the Merville Battery look at the very large field gun in the corner of the site, opposite the batteries / museums. That gun was restored by one of our guys in the North Staffs Area MVT, I believe that it was then taken over to Merville by the British army.

When you go to the Merville Battery look at the very large field gun in the corner of the site, opposite the batteries / museums. That gun was restored by one of our guys in the North Staffs Area MVT, I believe that it was then taken over to Merville by the British army.

as you'll probably know , one of the 2 bunkers (museums) has been restored very recently , by our member Kris Michiels , and his team , and is dedicated to the Belgian Brigade Piron . Must see !!

Thanks all for the feedback.

Big Ray....just ordered the book from Amazon. Where abouts are you staying? We are just outside Bayeux at a camp site in Martragny from the 3rd to the 5th then we move up to Coalville Sur Mer.

Big Ray....just ordered the book from Amazon. Where abouts are you staying? We are just outside Bayeux at a camp site in Martragny from the 3rd to the 5th then we move up to Coalville Sur Mer.

Hi, we will be based in St. Mere Eglise ( I know thats the American sector) but we will be doing quite a bit of travelling, in fact a large-ish number of our guys are going on to the Maginot Line. Three of us will, if all goes to plan, be in a Dodge Command Car,Reaseheath 003.jpg unless our intrepid leader decides that it makes more sense to take a Jeep........... I will endeavour to take suitable photographs, glad that you ordered the book, you will be very pleased with it.

You're in for a cracking time mate..there is so much to see but off the top of my head...

make sure you find Hill 112 (crackin Churchill set up as a monument) also the 'scrapyard' museum near Port En Bessin can't think iof the name of it but lots of stuff recovered from underwater off the beaches including a DD Sherman......the circular cinema on the bluffs above at Arromanche...there are literally dozens of smaller museums all well worth your time...you just need to keep you eyes open...there's a German Radar Station in the countryside behind Luc Sur Mer (i think it is anyways ! ) well worth a good afternoons mooching.....

and.....!

and PS: when you visit Merville Battery .have a look at the photos on the walls in the one emplacement...somewhere up there is a very young L/Cpl Arthur Cooper.....an old mate of my Dads who went on to become the Mayor of our local town :)

well worth finding when you get on along the coast is Graignes south of Carentan . Make sure you find the ruined church where a group of US Para's were mis-dropped well behind enemy lines on the night of the 5th /6th June and ended up fighting a helluva battle with the SS...

Very envious mate I've been over there quite a few times and still keep finding more things to stop and gaze at...:-D.

Edited by RattlesnakeBob

We stopped at the campsite at Martragny in 2009, a greatplace and I would recommend it to all. Make sure you take a walk out of theback gate and across the road as there is a memorial to a fighter base whichwas located in the fields just behind the campsite following the invasion.

Some pics of the site:

018.jpg

021.jpg

Guys,

Thanks for all the feed back. Some great tips there Rattlesnake. We have already planned a day trip to Hill 112 and Villers Bocage on Day two so should be good. Thanks for the photos of the campsite Smithy and tip re the airfield.

Big Ray, we will be in the Amercian sector from 5th onwards. Keep an eye out for us.....4 Jeeps and an RAF Bedford MW.

Hopefully there will be a good turnout of vehicles there this year. Quite dissapointing in 2010.

Cheers

Richard