NATO and US WW2 towing hooks

G506

Question

Has anyone ever tried towing a Ben Hur trailer (with it's original lunette ring) with a NATO hook as fitted to Land Rovers, etc?

I'm sure I've heard there is a slight difference, and I've never needed to try it, but I may need to tow a Ben Hur soon just for one short journey.

11 answers to this question

Has anyone ever tried towing a Ben Hur trailer (with it's original lunette ring) with a NATO hook as fitted to Land Rovers, etc?

I'm sure I've heard there is a slight difference, and I've never needed to try it, but I may need to tow a Ben Hur soon just for one short journey.

You know my reply!!!:D:D

You need a mans truck!!!!!!!!!!!!!

So no good trying to impress Rosie with the Lamborgini then? :-D
Well only if it's a Miura!!!!

Haha! Lamborghini are lovely cars, this is an axel envy in joke with myself and G506!!!! He has a Chevy and we of course have the far superior 3 axled GMC!!!!!!!

Hmmm, but us real men don't need the extra axle..............

Thanks Tony, I wasn't 100% sure, but sounds like it should work ok

Just had a measure up of the inside diameters of a nato towing ring and also my gun lunette, nato ring has a 3inch dia inside,

the gun lunette is 3 1/2 inches inside.

It will be fine, I do this frequently - both towing a Sankey with a WW2 lunette, and a Ben Hur on a standard Land Rover sized NATO hitch. They probably aren't technically 100% compatible in terms of fit but they work fine and those types of trailer connection always bang a bit anyway.

- MG

Ah, lovely - the far more common GMC hey?

We're green with envy aren't we Mark?:whistle:

:D

Well said mate!