MOT exemption for 1970 BRDM is it still classed as a Motor Tractor

My BRDM2 has been SORN since 2009 and now I want to get it on the road again.

The local post office won't issue a tax disk as they say it needs a MOT.

It has never been MOT'd as it was always classed as a Motor Tractor and the V112 form is filled out accordingly.

Has this changed recently?

The V355 leaflet (this relates to taxation rather than MOT) doesn't show a speciifc class of vehicle called Motor Tractor, only this:

11.1 Agricultural Machine

The "Agricultural Machine" tax class includes:

i) An Agricultural Tractor – a tractor used on public roads solely for the purposes relating to agriculture, horticulture, forestry or activities falling within:-

a) cutting verges bordering public roads;

b) cutting hedges or trees bordering public roads or bordering verges which border public roads.

ii) An Off Road Tractor means a tractor which is not an agricultural tractor and which is:-

a) designed and constructed primarily for use otherwise than on roads; and

b) incapable by reason of its construction of exceeding a speed of 25 miles per hour on the level under its own power.

For Taxation, the BRDM falls under Historic Vehicle, built prior to 1973, unless the Prior 1960 rule has come into force?

Should I just go to the local DVLA office with another V112?

Online applications just fail with a Technical Error...

motor tractor definition { a mechanically propelled vehicle which is not constructed itself to take a load other than the following articles ,that is to say water fuel accumulators and other equipment used for the purpose of propulsion loose tools and loose equipment, and the weight of which does not exceed 7370 kgs) ie daimler ferret, brdm2 weigh about 7000kg so should be ok, para 11.1 agricultural machine u quote has nothing to do with motor tractor mot exemption category . hope this helps

Edited by griff66

Looks like the DVLA is on strike today, so no point in going there!!! :(

The RTA 1988 definition is very odd isn't it.

Basically a motor vehicle that's not an HGV and isn't for transporting loads and is not a passenger vehicle either.

I think that any armoured car would fall into this catagory, but not an APC, like a Pig for example?

Its our experience that some post offices are staffed by numbskulls, such as in ours when they refused to re-licence our Ferret, so we simply complained after I went to the local DVLA office and almost immediately got a new Historic vehicle tax disc.

We later got an apology from Royal Mail, which will be about the second or third for that post offices uselessness.

It maybe useful to note that if you are refused a new tax disc at a Post office because they fail to recognize the vehicles exemption ask they confirm this with the DVLA by phoning then, which they should do if in any doubt, but they may not know this either or be too lazy or obstinate too.

Diana & Jackie

Well I went to another Post Office in the next village and hey presto, one tax disk!

They didn't keep the V112 form I filled out and to be honest I doubt they knew what it was.

I think as long as you sound like you know what you're talking about, they just stamp it up.

CROC: It has 2 seats, one for the driver, one for the gunner and that's it. It was never designed to carry passengers, only crew and with the missile turret on, in the loading position, you'd be hard pushed to get any one else in - unless you're a member of the midget Russian Tank Corps...

If I put windows and seats in, pimped it up, like the they do in Eastern Europe, I would certainly class it as a big car, but as stock it's not a passenger vehicle and it can't do hauliage. It's just a mobile weapons platform. The Rch version might be open to more debate as it is a mobile laboratory...

sure is! which is why when i first got my ferret and began the process of road registering it i went straight to the top and contacted vosa to find out and get in writing the correct category of mot exemption ie motor tractor as there was a lot of conflicting advice!

Edited by griff66

And have you ever had any issues Griff66?

Ever driven your Ferret past a Police camera van?

Did you need to add anything to the vehicle to make it 'road worthy' and legal? I'm thinking rear view camera, number plate illumination, windscreen washers etc....

no issue at all most coppers tend to look the other way! vehicle is road legal according to when built mine has red rear reflectors number plate light all the usual guff! no different to any other historic vehicle

• 2 months later...

Ever driven your Ferret past a Police camera van?

Got followed into Sainsbury's car park by a police patrol car, nor more than being very interested in an interesting vehicle. Stopped and had a long chat.