Painting method on Austin Champ

simondema

Hi all

As the time of finally acquiring my Austin Champ draws nearer, I wanted to ask a basic but relevant question regarding the painting of the vehicle.

I am seriously considering getting the whole body and engine soda blasted. I will then prime it (except for the engine) and then paint it in its original Gloss Green colour. As I wanted to maintain its authenticity, I was wondering what they used to paint army vehicles in 1952? Would they have used brushes? I would not imagine they would have used spray equipment in the field. All the restored Champs I have seen, although they look absolutely stunning, seem to me to be very shiny. Was this how they came out of the factory?

Bit confused, so any help would be appreciated.

Regards

Simon De Marchi

Hello Simon

everything out of the factory would be sprayed post war Deep Bronze Green. As the Champ was not in service for very long my guess is that there would not be a lot of field repainting going on, the few unrestored Champs that I have come across seem to have only the factory coat. Unlike for example Land Rovers that seem to have had endless coats of hand painted gloop ladled on by bored and disgruntled Janger Wallas. There are a number of Champ owners on here so they will be able to give chapter and verse.

Pete

Done my old one in Desert Stone with air, waste of time, far better off using a roller in hindsight.

Hey Rick

I have been reading a few posts about this and there seems to be a general consensus about that. It appears that "coach painting" although more time consuming, can achieve the same if not better results than spray painting, or so they say. The technique used and preparation of the surface must be flawless to achieve such results. I believe they also use camel hair brushes, with the brand "Purdey" used by a number of them.

I guess I will eventually need to work out what I use as a primer, undercoat and top coat for the chassis and the body/panels. As far as the engine, I think I read you don't need to use a primer, but one of the good quality engine paints is sufficient.

Simon

plus sometimes spray paint doesnt seem thick enough . if brush is used , can get more in corners ,hard to reach places etc . our Jeep was done 1985-90 ish ..............

That looks fantastic. What a great finish. Did you use brushes, rollers...?

Simon

• 2 weeks later...

Further to this thread, while wide awake at 2am, I happened to come across this modelling website in the UK where one of the modellers had just finished an Austin Champ model. Apart from the minute details, I really liked the colour he chose for the vehicle. Although the authentic colour, I was never quite taken with the high gloss green. I wonder if anyone can tell what colour he used, as I might use the same once I start the restoration of my vehicle..

http://www.militarymodelling.com/forums/postings.asp?th=68697

Thanks

Simon