Painting The Landrover with a roller and brush.Your thoughts and advice.

Lord Burley

Well show season for me is nearly upon me with my first show being the Overlord show. Bought this LtWt last month.....

DSCF9640.jpg

And although a very nice example the paint can do with a freshen up.It was painted two years ago,and has slightly faded with time since then.

Now i cant really use a spray gun as the work will have to be done in the open. So i was going to paint with a roller and brush. Its already been done with a roller before,and the results have been quite good. What i would like to know from people that have done it this way before. Whats the best rollers and paint to use??.

For shiny coach enamel I like to use a stiff foam roller, always had excellent results with it, dosen't seem to vary between makes.

For satin/matt and primer, I have found that the Harris slightly furry roller with a blue stripe produces the best results. :D

For cutting in around edges/seams, I prefer a mid-to-soft weight longish-bristle brush, usually 1.5" wide, then pick up with the roller as far in as possible.

I have always used solvent or spirit based paints, I far prefer them and think they are more durable.

On thinking, I've only ever sprayed lacquer, never tried it with a roller............

Alec.

We painted a gun using roller and brush a while back at Duxford with some really good results, so I've picked up the same to refresh the CMP at home.

I've got one of the small cheap foam rollers so I can throw the heads away as they start to degrade. That's something to be careful of; as the paint goes tacky it can pull the foam off leaving a bit of a texture (a bit like corked helmets). Make sure you keep the paint thinned as you use it, and change heads when the paint on the roller starts to go off.

Of course, the minute you've started using the roller it will start raining ... ... and then rain every weekend for a month ... ... so you may be as well to find somewhere indoors to spray :angry:banghead:

Never tried a roller but why not?....also...

....a good few years ago you could buy a paint called 'Re-Paint' which could be applied with a brush and was especially formulated somehow to not leave brush marks at all..:-D

..I used it many times to do Landrovers and also my 2 lorries were done with it more than once over the years and it always did a cracking job :-D

PS: I just Googled it and you can still buy it but it's a tad expensive ....but as I said...it is cracking stuff....

http://prorust.com/Re-Paint.co.uk/re-paint_index.htm

As stated by others, a foam gloss roller does the trick really well ....... and gets it on fast too.

When I did my Lightweight I got a can of matt nato green from a firm that made it and was selling on ebay and it was decent stuff.

I painted my GPW Jeep using the same method last year and got the light olive drab paint from Jeeparts and it was a good result.

I have also used a roller on several vehicles, and found that the cheaper smooth rollers worked better than than some more expensive ones by Harris. I tried some Harris smooth plain white rollers that were labelled as for use with solvent based paints and found that they broke up straight away. After lots of swearing and a quick trip out I got a pack of 10 cheap small rollers and they worked great with a satin finish.

Good luck.

Guys,

I use a roller every time - the foam ones as mentioned below and get good results. I keep my paint in jam jars to keep it fresh and in a quantity ready to use, and I use about 2 large jars to paint the Lwt Land Rover. Never keep the paint in 5 litre tins and us only a bit at a time as the skin that forms will put bits in the paint and or go off rock hard.

I find the NATO green is best used with about 1/3rd thinners mixed in, and never straight from the tin.

By the way it might be best to start by spraying wax oil on the chassis and undersides and then (after removing any from the upper panels) give the vehicle a good touch up with paint.

Edited by LarryH57

Just done my Landie with a brush - and it seems to have come out quite well. I used a satin paint - both green and black - I got from the firm that trades on eBay and Harris "No hair loss" 3" brushes fro B&Q. Two thin coats 24 hours apart and flatted between with the brush strokes vertical to minimise the risk of runs worked very well.

• 2 weeks later...
  • 1 month later...

I thought i would finally get around to putting some pics up of the finished article.....

DSCF9673.jpg

DSCF9671.jpg

DSCF9670.jpg

DSCF9669.jpg

The rubbing down process took an entire day with a mixture of usingan electric sander for the real flaky stuff. And some small sanding blocks. In actual fact. I did the whole vehicle with just two. Really impressed with them and not bad at £2.99 a pop.

Painting then took place over the following day. And the end result was this............

DSCF9676.jpg

DSCF9675.jpg

DSCF9674.jpg

DSCF9677.jpg

DSCF9680.jpg

I was quite pleased with the end result.