Repairing Bonded rubber parts

robin craig

I did post this in my very slow Ferret restoration blog but no one seems to be watching so to have any value I have stood up this thread on its own.

There are many metal parts that have bonded or vulcanised rubber on them over a wide range of vehicles from over the years. The common problem is what to do when the bonding lets go. I was trying to deal with this problem on my Ferret fuel tank bracket.

After some chats with Loctite they recommended this product.

Works very well.

R

ferret fuel tank bracket.jpg

I did post this in my very slow Ferret restoration blog but no one seems to be watching so to have any value I have stood up this thread on its own.

There are many metal parts that have bonded or vulcanised rubber on them over a wide range of vehicles from over the years. The common problem is what to do when the bonding lets go. I was trying to deal with this problem on my Ferret fuel tank bracket.

After some chats with Loctite they recommended this product.

Works very well.

R

Robin,

It was noted on the other thread, I used this product several years ago to bond windscreen rubber together on a restoration, it is a type of Superglue, but coloured black with a filler in it in order to fill discrepancies in the joint. It made a very strong bond on testing. Not used it for anything like the tank mounts though, might be the limit of its ability, worth trying though. Preparation is the name of the game with a lot of these adhesives.