Does this work? Spitfire multispark improved ignition Dodge WC

Joris

I saw this on eBay and was wondering if anybody knows if this really works?

http://www.ebay.co.uk/itm/SPITFIRE-MULTISPARK-IMPROVED-IGNITION-DODGE-WC51-54-/350247567224?pt=UK_Cars_Parts_Vehicles_Other_Vehicle_Parts_Accessories_ET&hash=item518c61bf78#ht_755wt_1163

In my younger days Spitfire plugs was a trend in Motocross and all the big US factory teams used them, so all us budding Rick Johnsons did too.

I can't say it ran any better than an NGK type R plug, but I remember it was more sensitive to fouling and Krap, so soon switched back to NGK Race Plugs...........

Hope that helps.............

They would probably only give benefit at the rev range a Motocross bike worked best at, between 9,000 and 12,000 revs..

MV engines would have hit melt down way before that range..........................................

• 2 weeks later...

I wouldn't bother to be honest, just run unleaded as it comes out of the pump, you may have hardened seats, as the US Ford Flathead V8s had hard valve seat inserts up until the 1950s, perhaps Dodge did too. Either way, it can take a lot of hours on an engine to get significant valve seat errosion, depending on how you drive it. Back in the 90s a group in England paid for a test on a Mini A-Series engine and ran it on a test bed at high RPM on normal unleaded, it did suffer seat errosion but it was equal to a hell of a lot of normal driving before it became noticable. With the money you save not using additives, you can get valve inserts fitted when you do a rebuild. It only cost me £125 to get my 2.5 Triumph straight six head done....10 years ago.

Edited by ajmac