Alvis Stalwart.. Video. Stuck in loads of mud. Recovered by GMC, Diamond T & Abbot

PDonovan

great video!.:D

..I'd hate to be paying the fuel bill though! hahaha :D when he gives her some proper stick I reckon I can hear the fuel cascading into her!

......incidentally....

the Stalwarts prime job (as I understand ? please correct me if I'm wrong) was as an ammunition forwarder to keep our tanks supplied in the event of them coming to blows with the Ruskies way back when..........

so.........seeing as we still have tanks and all the Stalwarts have been disposed off.....

...what vehicle would be tasked with that job nowadays?????

cheers :)

Yes their role was fuel and ammo supply for the tanks, and the amphibious role was because at that time of the "cold war" the thought was that in Germany the bridges would be blown to cut off supplies, so the stolly could swim accross instead.

Then helicopters became able to lift more, so that as well as high maintenance and fuel drinking ability effectively put the end to the stolly.

The foden HMLC is what does that role now, but as they are now being disposed of now, it's probably going to be a MAN? Or similar, someone will know.

Shame as they did make two re designed stolly's with better transmission and running gear, and also a diesel, and tried to re sell it to the mod, they tested them to great success, but some desk jockey hi up put a stop to it, who knows if they had done it they may still be driving about now, or a derivative of them!

Cheers

Shaun

great video!.:D

..I'd hate to be paying the fuel bill though! hahaha :D when he gives her some proper stick I reckon I can hear the fuel cascading into her!

......incidentally....

the Stalwarts prime job (as I understand ? please correct me if I'm wrong) was as an ammunition forwarder to keep our tanks supplied in the event of them coming to blows with the Ruskies way back when..........

so.........seeing as we still have tanks and all the Stalwarts have been disposed off.....

...what vehicle would be tasked with that job nowadays?????

cheers :)

Support Vehicles (SV), in other words standard trucks rather than the special that the Stalwart was. That said tanks never took that much support, as in tonnage terms their logistic requirements were not too bad although they are a bit thirsty. Even then though the stolly could not carry very much and was a pig to load and unload. It became obvious that a standard 12000 litre road going Foden with multiple fuel nozzles was a much better bet than a UBRE with a dodgy donkey engine and a single nozzle, even if the panzers had to drive a bit to get to the support.

The other users were Arty, but again once it was realised that the guns might need to fire a few more shells than they thought it became obvious that Stollys were fun but useless. Enter DROPS stage left.

And in the mud Stollys were never great - once that flat belly sat on the mud sticktion took its toll and how we laughed in our Mk1 AECs as we rumbled on past the boat-drivers!!!

On a frozen rough bit of N Germany though stollys were (and probably are with the possible exception of a 6 wheeled Pinz) gravity defying flying machines. And the brakes caught many a German lorry driver by surprise as the stolly in front realised at the last minute dot com that he needed to turn left just here and did the lets stand on the front axle trick.