Tanks owner - Advise me on tanks....

Jack

• Replies 88
  • Created
  • Last Reply

Top Posters In This Topic

• 5 weeks later...

John has hit the nail on the head. I'm fortunate that I had ten years in the army on tanks and CVRT before owning my own Spartan here in Spain. As I speak I am attending a major vehicle show in central Madrid with my Spartan. The organizers have paid for two of us to stay five nights in a four star hotel and the loan transporter only requires for us to pay fuel. It makes you feel good to have such reverence. I suppose that it helps that at the moment I have the only ex military tracked vehicle registered for road use in all of Spain. To see what I am talking about take a look at http://www.tanksinspain.com

Regards to all

Mick

Isn't private military vehicle ownership frowned on in Spain? I'm sure I've read they won't register vehicles in some places. Shame. I remember seeing features, probably in MMI, about restoring Spanish examples of German armour given to Franco. Interesting. The next best thing is a visit to one of the big Vickers gun emplacements built in the 1930s. If you're ever in Menorca, go to La Mola near Mahon. A gem. They have other German guns too, but access wasn't possible last time I was there in 2002.

Snapper,

If your vehicle is 25 years or older there is an article in Spanish law that allows you to register it as an historical vehicle. The problem is that there are a band of 'my than my jobs worth' characters here that make it difficult. But I have the King of Spain on the case, I kid you not who currently has the interior minister and the cabinet running around to try and ratify their problems with this issue. Watch this space as they say. Their problem at the minute is that my vehicle is road registered and taxed as an historical vehicle but they are shit scared to give me the number plates until the King gives the nod. What a load of nonsense I tell you.

Who said owning armour is easy.

Mick

• 2 months later...

Spartan wins the day in Spain. Who said patience never pays. After two long years of playing silly beggars with a not very bright traffic office in Southern Spain not to mention a four page letter to the king of Spain. My Spartan is finally in the annuls of Spanish history as being the first registered for road use, civilian owned, full tracked military vehicle in Spain. It is about to make its second appearance in Madrid from the 28 May for one week at a trade show there. God it makes you feel good when it all comes together. Shame about the plonkers in the traffic office who got it wrong.

Like we said before its not easy owning a tracked vehicle but boy it dont half make you feel good.

Mick

Thank Neil,

I tell you what owning a tracked vehicle always leaves you with a little bit of the unknown and you never know when things may go pear shaped, but I tell you what it makes you feel good when it all comes together. I'm on my way to Madrid again this weekend for one week with the Spartan. It seems that they can't get enough of it there. I hope this is the start of a wonderful relationship as they say.

Mick