Chevy/ Hard cab Jimmy question

lightweight

Whilst sanding down the back of my cab for painting, I've noticed 6 small holes around the rear window. Are they supposed to be there?

They don't look to be for drainage and I can't think of anything that's missing - so should I plug them up?

Will put up a photo later when I get back to 'puter - am posting this with my phone

Whilst sanding down the back of my cab for painting, I've noticed 6 small holes around the rear window. Are they supposed to be there?

They don't look to be for drainage and I can't think of anything that's missing - so should I plug them up?

Will put up a photo later when I get back to 'puter - am posting this with my phone

Probably was fitted with a wire mesh screen to protect the glass

Hi I can confirm that the six holes are for a wire guard to protect the window, I recently got one for my tractor unit project. I also fitted a new rubber, you can buy this on ebay for £1.49 per foot, item No 190649138185.It did the job great but i would recommend that you buy the tool for putting in the rubber insert it makes fitting alot easier. Hope this all helps. Howard.

There you go, Martin!

DSCF1319.jpg

Since this photo, I've repaired, blasted, painted, and fitted it. I will try to remember to get a current photo tomorrow for you

Strewth! It's a barbie grill!

Gotta get me one of them - thanks Mark, to the rescue as ever:D

No worries! Might be worth speaking to 'Vehicles of Victory' in the States; at one time they had quite a few

Thanks chaps, although I dont think that I need one enough to pay the postage from the States!

Send me the spacings for the mounting bolt holes and the size of the screen you are looking for and you might not have to,

I have a couple of these in different sizes.

Ken

DSCF3519.jpg

Martin,

picture from today, hope this helps! I had to make all six brackets as the originals were rotten, hopefully they're fairly accurate

Edited by G506

Send me the spacings for the mounting bolt holes and the size of the screen you are looking for and you might not have to,

I have a couple of these in different sizes.

Ken

Thanks Ken, very good of you. Will be in touch as soon as I have the dimensions. Mark has very kindly offered to measure his, but neither he or I have our trucks parked near home....

• 2 weeks later...
Martin,

I was with my Chev last night, forgot to measure the hole spacing, Sorry!

Will try again next time

No worries Mark, I put the second coat on mine yesterday and forgot to measure the back window. Anyway, here's a 'so far' photo...

IMG_0309.jpg

Needs another coat on the tailgate and the grille, then the stencilling begins. Trying to decide whether to whiten the bumper ends or not...

Incidentally, I have a few questions about the markings. I know the subjects been chewed over several times but as usual, there is so much on the 'search' function that I can't find what I'm looking for, so if someone wouldn't mind....

Prior to the paint job, the bonnet number was W-302805. I was planning to re-use the number (it seems about right) but what does the W denote?

I had thought I might mark it up as a USAAF truck, but should it say USAAF on the bonnet and not USA? I don't know why I think it should be, it's an idea I have stuck in my head but I don't know where it came from...

Would anybody care to suggest a set of unit markings for the bumpers? I have no idea what they should be so I'm not too bothered what squadron they should denote - something based in England in '42 would be good.

Cancel all that, just found a thread which answers all those questions - even though its referring to jeeps the theory is the same! Should have looked a little harder! Still interested in the W though

Edited by lightweight

OK, can someone just confirm I have this right.

If I were to mark my truck up as belonging to, say, the Memphis Belle's squadron, the front bumper would read...

8*324BG 91 7

...and the rears

Left

8*

324BG

Right

That being the 8th Air Force, the 324th Bomb Group, 91st Bomb squadron, vehicle number 7. I'm not saying that I'm going to - just getting the theory straight in my mind:nut:

Many thanks in advance

91st Bomb Group, 324th Bomb Squadron:

8 91BG 324SQ

...and the rears

Left

91BG

Right

324SQ

8AF airfield-based vehicles don't often seem to have had individual numbers most of the time for some reason.

However, a radio-equipped jeep assigned to the 323rd Bomb Squadron at Bassingbourne had the following bumper marking:

8 - 91BG - 323 - 16

For more Bassingbourn-based 8AF units:

8 1 SCS (1st Station Compliment Squadron, responsible for operating the airfield itself)

8 39 SV 364 SQ (39th Service Group, 364th Service Squadron)

8 441 SD (441st Sub-Depot, formerly the 39th Service Group and it's squadrons)

8 ASC 441SD (a valid variant of the above, showing the 441st correctly as a unit of the VIII Air Service Command)

81204Q (1204th Quartermaster Company)

81696-O (1696th Ordnance Supply & Maintenance Company)

All the best,

PB

Edited by P Bellamy

You'll be mighty relieved to learn that despite a thorough search I cannot find that garbage truck photo, so you'll just have to label her up as something else :red:

As for white bumper ends front and white bumperettes back, I think they look really good - sort of give the truck a defined edge, and are very effective as a safety measure too. Some bases painted the entire front bumper which I don't like - too much white. Not all vehicles on any one base were painted the same either.

Here is a 388th BG Chev I posted on the appalling stencil thread, showing that anything goes really. Instead of 388Bg it has 136STA (Station 136, the base designation). Note the MacChevrolet burger logo where the 8 should be, also lack of white bumper ends unlike most 388th trucks, but with small white sections on wing tips. I think that's the nice thing about USAAF finish - it can be whatever you fancy!

GMC Stencils.JPG

Edited by N.O.S.