My job

private mw

• Replies 75
  • Created
  • Last Reply

Top Posters In This Topic

Top Posters In This Topic

Posted Images

Went to collect a skip this morning,house clearance type situation, noticed an oven on the top, alarm bells start ringing, as fridges are often found with them, and we do not take fridges or freezers.

So had a quick looksee in the skip just in case, luckily none found.

Pulled out an tin plate toy trailer, found some old board games. Made a note not to let the yard lads get in first.

Back at yard we had a proper rummage, stacks of old tin plate style toys, loads and loads of old school Meccano.

Me and other driver filled boot of his estate car with them.

Now on Ebay ............

The only bad thing is of course that the owner has obviously passed away, and family has cleared the house and thrown the lot. Sometimes its hard seeing peoples possessions and memories getting shoved into the rubbish heap.

In the mid sixties there was a gun amnesty in Birmingham and all sorts of weapons got handed in. A friend of mine who was a SOCO was on the front desk at Bordesley Green Police Station when an old lady came in and took a Luger out of her hand bag and dropped it on the desk. She said' "My son brought this home after the war and it's been in my kitchen drawer." My friend said thank you to her and was filling in a form to book it in. A chap out of CID walked past picked it up and said. "This is German." (You can see why he was in CID!) He then pointed it in the air and pulled the trigger. The Luger went off and the bullet went through the ceiling and the floor above and into the underside of a desk !!

Two LIVE 6 inch naval shells turned up at a house not far away from the same police station. A woman rang up and asked if the Police could collect them as she was fed up with polishing them and they were too heavy for her to carry. When the police arrived these two shells were stood either of a fireplace with a blazing fire lit. The bomb disposal team had to clear several streets before they would move them.

All the weapons handed in, and there was every type of gun including a cannon, were tipped down a disused mine shaft. Er....not the two shells though. The mine has a housing estate built on it now.

We've got a mate who runs a skip business. It's all factory clearance so there is some useful stuff that turns up.

Phil

talking of skips and finds lurking inside them i remember an episode of antiques roadshow where a ww11 RAF sector clock was found in a skip at an old airfield was worth about £2500 if i remember correctly , i hope you dont think im talking rubbish ! :red:

In the above tin plate toys was a large toy Routemaster bus.

wheels and axles missing, bit dented and a small amount of patchy rust .......

It went on the bay of E for £82.00 ............

gobsmacked .......

• 1 month later...

i know off topic but now they who we must obey have put landfill tax up on all waste this includes inert ( soil ) and trommel fines too £64 tonne so this could put skip prices up too as much as £350 - £500 will have a knock on affect with builders and every householder !! :shocked:

I used to love tip scrounging especially during Christmas and Easter as people would always do big clean outs

My tool chest back in Australia, including the electrical tools were mostly tip finds. Helped living in a mining town as the mining companies never fixed anything, just dumped it, generators, industrial vacuum cleaners, cement mixers, air cons. Great fun and how I learnt to fix things :-D

i know off topic but now they who we must obey have put landfill tax up on all waste this includes inert ( soil ) and trommel fines too £64 tonne so this could put skip prices up too as much as £350 - £500 will have a knock on affect with builders and every householder !! :shocked:

We don't landfill anything.

We have a quarry where we send our soil and trommel fines,it goes as land reclamation.

All the stuff we can't deal with, we send on to someone who can...... however thats at £77 plus vat per tonne ...and about 200 tonne a month.

we dont send anything too landfill we have a picking station and trommel we recycle wood metal ,plastic ect and we even cut open mattreses for the steel springs for scrap , brick goes for crushing into hardcore and soil and trommel fines go for topping cover at landfill sites but the goverment have increased the price on that ! nudge what are you saying you pay £70 per tonne to get rid of inert how much do you charge for a 8t skip because you would be running at a loss ! :nut:

not many people know yet or understand that the gov are now taxing inert [soils] at full price so a 8t skip would cost around £500 instead of £145 so that will have a great impact on the builders ect there was a demonstration in london the other day 50 skip lorries in parliment square is my job safe now who knows !!:undecided:

Not many people know that there was a move a couple of years back by Europe to require even inert soil tips to be engineered for leachate collection to same standard as that required for domestic waste tips. That would have put the cost of lanfilling inert soils screenings etc up to same as domestic :nut: I hope it has been abandoned but don't hold your breath!

not abandoned mate in force now £64 a tonne any rubbish including inert. skip firms now panicking who digging out there garden would pay that to tip soil and who could afford to dig out footings for that new house extension ! wait for the new reccesion to bite ? :-\

cheers NOS about the clubhouse was going to have a word with jack about filling the cellar in with soil and can we scatter some around the clubhouse car park out of our pockets and down our trouser legs like they did in the great escape might

save my job a little longer ! :red:

• 1 month later...
  • 6 months later...