My job

private mw

my job driving a skip lorry . today delivering a skip to a young womens house she wanted it round the back of the house down a tight lane . so i said is there any where to turn round at the bottom , she said you will be fine i manage it in my car and its an estate ! made me smile ,

why on narrow streets do people double park and leave there front wheels on full lock leaving a few mil gap from my front wheel nuts when trying to get through the gap :argh: on the upside of my job found a ww1 trench periscope in a skip today dated 1917 by r&j beck . job does have its perks and laughs sometimes . :)

• Replies 75
  • Created
  • Last Reply

Top Posters In This Topic

Top Posters In This Topic

Posted Images

I was told by a friend about a local in Eerde, a hamlet next to Veghel where the 101st Airborne fought on of the major engagements during Market Garden. Some guy had old stuff in his attic and decided to throw it out, so he dumped an old radio on the street where it could be picked up. One lucky bloke drove past the house and saw the radio standing outside, he got to take it for free and then was told that most other stuff he found went in the container the previous week. This included a couple of complete parachutes, with reserve and harness. :banghead:

It's still out there!!

My skip lorry is just a bit over 8ft wide at the rear. The amount of times i get told that the skip 'must' go down the drive and its 6ft wide so won't cause an issue ..........then there are the ones who say drop it there and we'll drag 'round the back' only to have us point out 'well how do we get it then???????' oh ... never thought of that ......

And ditto with badly parked cars .......

As for stuff thrown away ....... lucky sods down the yard who sort our skips found a purse ... it had £170 in it .......

got a big mirror out of one, sold on ebay for £50.

2yr old elec oven,gas hob and extractor hood,out of skip, sold on e bay.

Got a few power tools that i was able to repair (110v Bosch grinder- new brushes and rewire. 14inch metal chop saw- rewire and repair handle, 2x electric hoists - rewire and new winch ropes.......) luckily thats what i used to do, so know where to get bits from.

Heaviest skip so far .... 13.5 tons of soil .... lifted it up, then punched the back end through the pavement .......(no weighing gear fitted so can't tell how heavy when lifting. Gets weighed back at yard)

Edited by Nudge
added info

hi to another skip driver is yours a tele scopic ! i always carry plenty of wood for my jack legs . always like a good rumage through the skip before i tip we did get a ww2 sten gun recently the guy who found it wouldnt let me have it , but i pointed him in the right direction of a sec 5 gunsmith and then proofing house , theres plenty of treasures still to be found out there in lofts and cellars , ;)

dustbins, skips, binbags, tips, I can not pass with out a look, helps to look like a some old tramp,

best find in a skip..British WWII Airborne BSA folding bicycle :D nice ride if you remember to lock the folding wing nut:nut: now in the usa :embarrassed: my last find from a bin.. ww11 paybook now sent to a good home.

point is keep your eyes wide open whats in the bins today is someones past.

i always look at my rear springs on lorry can roughly guess the weight by them , you could build a house out of a skip from all the bricks cement and wood you get , then actually decorate and furnish it ! i think it would make a good tv programme if someone did do it ! :-)

Yes matey, 18t Daf,telescopic arms ..... have lost count of wooden blocks i've broken on my jack legs ...... had a goodun yesterday, had to lift a skip off a verge, 18 inches from a lamp post ...... well it was full of soil and heavy,pavement sunk under the weight, lampost started to sway .......... thats a brown trouser moment ...

We know if the front end starts to rise we've got about 8.5 - 9 ton in the skip.

And yes, i have had the front wheels about 5 ft in the air many times ........

Not actually found its limit yet, its usually the ground beneath the legs that gives way first!

i always look at my rear springs on lorry can roughly guess the weight by them , you could build a house out of a skip from all the bricks cement and wood you get , then actually decorate and furnish it ! i think it would make a good tv programme if someone did do it ! :-)

I've rewired my garage with the cable and conduit i've gotten.

Got 2x 18t,and a 7.5t chain lift.(the 7.5t sits in the shed till we get a job the 18t's can't fit into) + 8 wheel hook loader.

Just 2 chain lift drivers, other driver has a Hino ........ turning circle of a supertanker, and a foot longer than my truck, so if its an awkward job its usually me that gets it ......we tend not to stitch each other up.

Part of local plant hire/tipper fleet company.

Lucky sod.

This weekend was a 'skip find' repair session.

Electric hedge trimmer rewired and working

Electric pressure washer up and running

However Mitre chop saw has got stripped gears ... unless i can find a replacement it'll be getting stripped and on ebay.

• 2 weeks later...

Hi

this is sort of skip story if thats what the threads about. At one time I worked in a Police station at a Newtown in Northumberland. A very worried member of the public came to the counter. He was worried because not far from the nick there was row of nice 30s houses and on the drive of blocking the drive completely and stopping the garage door was a skip loaded with rubbish.

He didnt own the house but saw that the rubbish in the skip was from some building work at his house and He didnt know why it was on someone elses drive. A call to the skip company revealed all. The owner of the house where the skip had been left had recently hired a skip filled it and had it removed. He had not payed up.

The owner of the skip company had then left the skip described on his drive completely blocking all vehicle access until ya man had payed his bill. It was there for a couple of weeks at least, not a Police problem just a civil debt.

Centurion